Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

New '48 Leaf Project - Photos used for the cards

Since I've hit a roadblock (actually more of a significant stall) on the Autograph Set (currently 56 of 98) and the addition of White Backgrounds has really been slow, I've decided to undertake a new side street in my obsession with this issue. I've decided that I will look to obtain wire photos of the images used to make the 1948 Leaf cards.

Interestingly enough, the first to be added to the collection is also the first card in the set. Here is a Sid Luckman wire photo taken circa 1946 from which the Leaf Company used the image and colorized the jersey (some artistic liberties were taken which includes inking such that the number appears to be a 6 rather than a 2 in the 42 and removing the thumb on Luckman's throwing hand). I've added the base card and my autographed card to the image creating an interesting trilogy that sort of defines my zaniness with regard to this issue . . .

Comments

• Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Nice! That side project may prove to be more elusive than the original one. Good luck.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice! That side project may prove to be more elusive than the original one. Good luck. >>

Thanks!

Actually, the "original" one was completed when the PSA Basic Set went to 100% (currently working on upgrades) and sits at #7 All-Time. The second project was the PSA Master Set which is at 93% and is currently #1 All-Time. The third project was the Autograph Set which is at 57%. This last undertaking should give me something to look forward to as it is currently at 1%...
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scott very cool project. Good luck!!! BTW I'm still looking for a 48 Bill Dudley.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options

<< <i>Scott very cool project. Good luck!!! BTW I'm still looking for a 48 Bill Dudley. >>

Bobby:

Sorry, but I don't have anything in the dupes pile for Dudley as I sent them to him to be signed before he passed away. I've got an autographed beater that is PSA/DNA red flip if you want. It is signed "Bullet Bill" Dudley in blue Sharpie.
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Nice idea. Looking forward to your updates.
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    image.imageimage
    ..image

awesome icon Scott
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting and pretty neat new project. I wouldn't even know where to begin such an endevour. Hope you do well .--- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Very cool! How do you find the wire photos?

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Scott, nice way to tie everything in. Good luck with finding more!!!
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Scott

I'm a big fan of 'companion' pieces to items whether cards or other.

Looks like a fun project - I'm looking forward to the others you find.

Superb! image
    Mike
  • Options

Excellent project. image
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Awesome project, psa will also slab the wire photos...
  • Options
    #2 - Although the tilt and inking made it a little tougher to catch . . .

• Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Scott, This is an amazing project, please be sure to update every step along the way. good Luck!
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Scott ... this is a real interesting project. Please keep us updated on your progress. GOOD LUCK!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great project. Scott!!!

It looks like you are off to a terrific start...image

Good luck with the rest...

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    Another . . .

• Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    Scott - great stuff!
  • Options
    Geez Scott - incredible!

Good stuff - this is getting good.
    Mike
  • Options
    And another . . .

• Options
    For some reason the tilt of his body looks to be off just a little between the card and photo. However after about ten minutes of scrutiny, everything else matches up perfect. So, I believe that it is the photo.

Any idea about the tilt? Artistic freedom from the manufacter?
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options
    This is Alot of fun to watch.

Edit to ask the question: are the wire photos expensive?
  • Options

<< <i>For some reason the tilt of his body looks to be off just a little between the card and photo. However after about ten minutes of scrutiny, everything else matches up perfect. So, I believe that it is the photo.

Any idea about the tilt? Artistic freedom from the manufacter? >>

Artistic license was taken with regard to both the tilt and the color choices for the inking (mainly because the color options were red, blue or yellow).
  • Options
    Another super pickup Scott!

Wow - would be cool if you find them all.
    Mike
  • Options
    This is a pretty cool project. I can't wait to see the Bobby Layne
  • Options
    And one more . . .

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Scott,

Nice idea. Are you going to frame them up when you are finished? Those would make a great display.

Have a good Thanksgiving,

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dam Scott! This is awesome stuff, I love it!
  • Options
    Notre Dame legend and Heisman Trophy winner . . .

• Options
    The Bomber!!!

• Options
    Scott, the Layne is super sweet. I really enjoy this thread.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Great idea Scott.

Thanks for sharing.

Good for you.
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Looking great, nice update.
  • Options
    Two more:

• Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    This is becoming one of my favorite threads. It must be major detective work to track down these photos.

"Molon Labe"

• Options

<< <i>This is Alot of fun to watch.

Edit to ask the question: are the wire photos expensive? >>

@ Matt:

Most are inexpensive -- averaging about $20-30 per. Occasionally, one will pop up and be priced very high. Seems a lot of archives are being cleaned out, so there has been more available as of late than normal. In another year or two, they'll be very tough to find. This is probably the best time for me to undertake this project. Now, I just need to be more aggressive when some of the keys come up for auction. I forgot to increase my snipe and last night lost out on a Jensen...

<< <i>It must be major detective work to track down these photos. >>

@ Mark:

Not really major detective work. Just time consuming searches. I've also been privileged to have a few great guys that have been lifesavers sending me a heads-up when they see a photo that I may need.
  • Options
    This is amazing Scott. Do you have a favorite card from the set?
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • Options
    @ Dave:

I have several favorites for different rationales. First and foremost is probably Wistert because I've talked to him so many times, he's been such a fantastic guy and is long overdue to be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. But I also like the Bednarik for a multitude of reasons. There are a few others that I really enjoy the photography and look forward to finding the original images.
  • Options
    Cool project. I like how most of them look like they might have been taken at a local high school or in someone's backyard...lol.

I have also noticed the increase in wire photos on eBay the last year or so. There also however seems to be a little increase in demand as it is hard to get cool ones for under $10 anymore, something I use to be able do all the time.

Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    THIS is what collecting is all about.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Very cool. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    Great Idea to supplement the 48 Leaf set! Fun thread to read, thanks for sharing. I seem to remember us doing this type of thing on the "Love the Vintage Football" thread from way back when..,but we were just trying to find photos from the web..not the original wire photo.