Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Walker set crossover results

Recently from HLRC I bought an very nice short set of Walkers from 1933-1947 complete, with the 16 and 16-D, as well. All MS 65 and 66 and all in PCGS holders except for 14 in NGC. Sent those 14 in for crossover (some old fatty NGC holders, a few with green footballs) and got 14/14 to cross first try, two got pluses and two upgraded one point. This was a set put together by someone who really picked out very nice and choice coins.

I now have a very good start on a gem Walker set, but many tough early coins and expensive ones, remain. No hurry for me on this set.
Dr. Pete

Comments

• That is an excellent result. Any net gain in grade is always nice.
  • erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the crossover. Glad to hear that the grading services appear to be on even ground. Id love to have another short set at some point!
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats - can't wait to see what this set looks down the road!
    Also good to hear about the NGC crossover success rate, as many of the coins in my set are also NGC coins.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing!

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Congrats - can't wait to see what this set looks down the road! >>

Ditto, well done!

JH
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Well done!! Feels good doesn't it?image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great job Pete...when will your set be on the Registry so we can see it?
  • DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    My set is already on the registry, at number 20 current, but no images yet. I am only doing the regular set at this point, did not put it up in the short set, but maybe I should.
    Dr. Pete
  • fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭
    well done! image

pictures would be great.
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Just great, now PCGS does not have to do any more crossovers for the rest of the year!
  • PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    Those results confirm my view it is the coins themselves and the collector's personal grading ability that matter, not the grading service (among the top 2). Congratulations on the acquisition.
    PQuene,

You are absolutely correct. The coins themselves were high-end and that's what I am sure PCGS is looking for when they look at such cross-overs. Perhaps my biggest surprise was the 1940 in 67 that crossed at grade. When I looked at the value increase for the four upgrade coins, it was not really very much; less than the cost of the submissions. That being said, having all of them in PCGS holders including some great dates like 16, 16-D, 33-S, and 34-S, means a lot, too.

Imaging coins has not been my forte, but I will try to get some of them posted. For now you will just have to look at my barber halves.
    Dr. Pete
  • breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice to have a collector who has distinguished himself in another series join the world of Walkers. It's a great and challenging series -- enjoy the pursuit. image

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Very well done, I have some I bought years ago to cross and haven't done it yet. If my results are close to yours I will be one happy camper.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Peter,

Just another reason for me to make it to Michigan
    Congrats on the cross overs ( unheard of 14 for 14
    on the first try ).. and with the able bodied assistance
    of Harry, you can't go wrong.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
    Thanks Mike. I see myself working very slowly on the Walker set, trying to get the remainder of the early dates in nice MS 64-66 depending on the costs and how nice the coins are. Although complete from 1933 onward, there are a few dates in the latter part that will be upgraded, such as the 1944 which, though nice, is a mere MS 64 and there are many graded nicer that are not a problem to find. I did have a number of the earlier dates before, but the Duckor set went for auction and I had to have some of those coins, so the Walkers were expendable at that point.
    Dr. Pete