Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why so much for this bustie?

coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
Thoughts? Has anyone dealt with him in the past?

Text

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This seller puts up some nice collector coins and uses terrific images. He has also cultivated an avid following on ebay and most everything sells for extremely strong money. As for this coin, I have not checked the condition census for this Overton variety.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The seller is David Kahn. You can't much better than David when it comes to eBay sales of Capped Bust halves. He is easy to work with and is very knowledgeable. He is on target with his descriptions and attributions. Can you tell I like the guy? image

Tom is right. David has a strong following. With that coin, look at the bidding. The snipe ran the price up almost $170 (it would have sold for around $340-345). It's an R4. While not "rare," nice EF R4 coins are getting more expensive. At close to $350, it would have been in line with similar sales for this die marriage in the recent past. At $510 ... somebody wanted it and likely place a very high bid to get a coin that matched their set.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. Good explanations.

I really liked the coin...but not quite that much. image

• Options
    LVGTLVGT Posts: 503
    He is a great seller.
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very reputable seller. Good guy. Well known and well respected in bust half circles, but also good at other coins now. It is an R-4 variety as well. Still, seems a little high.

Tom

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is the PERFECT look for Bust coins......for me at least!
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two variety collectors going for broke.
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Image up ? Well if I managed to do this properly, here is one I got from Dave awhile ago in a similar situation. Sort of new it would take a Big bid to get it, and I got it by the skin of my teeth...

well....so much for me and photobucket
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The combination of PCGS and R4 caused a price explosion. I am sure there are many, many collectors of Bust halves by die marriage who only collect PCGS coins, no exceptions. While the variety is only R4, maybe it is R7 in a PCGS slab.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    coinlieutenant, have you seen the PCGS-53 with the Guttag Family provenance that is offered by illini420?

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file