Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

It's Halloween, and this auction really scares me.

Link

It scares me because of the "too good to be true" factor.

I remember seeing some truly incredible coins at the Money Museum in Richmond, VA years ago, and they had a 1486 "guldiner" of this design. It was absolutely stunning. Though a rare and valuable coin, it was not even close to being the most valuable in the museum, and yet it's the one that stuck with me the most.

This piece here is frightening because I don't see any obvious red flags. It looks like a circulated silver coin should, to me. I've got the Levinson Early Dated Coins of Europe book at home, and a Davenport Large Silver Coins. I think those list this.

The seller isn't Chinese, but for all I know, the coin could be. And his feedback rating is 2... with zero sales, and two purchases, one of which was a cologne gift set endorsed by a rap musician. That right there is enough to scare me off, even without his self-declared $477.77 reserve (which would be a steal if the coin were genuine).

Nope, don't worry- I ain't bidding. It's just too scary. But this is one of those auctions that just makes me go "hmmm."

Who can point out the red flags I haven't mentioned?

PS- oh, yeah... "Returns not accepted", too.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are times when things out of brooklyn scare me more than most other places. It sure seems to have a nice strike, good detail left. Is that normal?
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    I would consider that to be the holy grail of talers. Overall it looks like a respectable piece but most likely not the real thing. The fields look too smooth and the date font looks wrong for the 4.

Here is one from a WAG auction in Sept (which sold for $50k):

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's right up there with the octagonal USA Pan-Pac $50, at or near the top of my top "dream coin" list.

In other words, coins I could never hope to afford.

Yep. That auction really frightens me, and yet it's oddly compelling, in a "what if" sorta way. Knowhutimean?

But it's like the fake 1804 dollars that some bidiots will still take a $500 gamble on. Sheesh. Really, now, people. Do you really think you're gonna get a multimillion-dollar coin for 500 bucks?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But he says "L@@k" so it MUST be authentic.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

<< <i>But he says "L@@k" so it MUST be authentic.image >>

Did seem strange that he put WoW L@@K after the Picture and descriptionimage

Looks nice and round to me. image
  • CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    It's one of the 1953 restrikes that's been worn down and had the restrike date smoothed off.

Here's the restrike for comparison. Link
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Gosh, I don't know why you guys are soooooooo suspicious.
    Seller has a "2" FB, won't allow returns and is selling a very rare coin for a pittance.
    What could possibly go wrong?
  • PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    His feedback is super low, but the fact that he seems to know the "Ebay way" leads me to believe this is just a new account. His use of "L@@K" and the over the top/hidden shipping costs on some items makes me think he was previously an ebay seller 1yr+ ago.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • After looking at the link of the 1953 copy, I'm convinced the coin at auction is a fake.
    It would be highly unlikely that the only really heavy wear on the coin would be in exactly the spot where the restrike date was.

• << <i>It's one of the 1953 restrikes that's been worn down and had the restrike date smoothed off.

Here's the restrike for comparison. Link >>

Well , thats that put to bed then , excellent post CIVITAS image
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    So the question I have is logistically how do you wear down one area of the coin like that and not make it overly suspicious? Perhaps they shaved the 1953 off and then made it a pocket piece for awhile? I'm curious to know how the devious go about their deviousness.
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feedback of "2".

I'd 'L@@K' the other way.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's one of the 1953 restrikes that's been worn down and had the restrike date smoothed off.

Here's the restrike for comparison. Link >>

Nice catch, Josh.