Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why do suppose that one of these coins graded, while one did not?

Both of the coins are pedigreed to the same collection (dating from 1910-1930) and are up for auction in the offing. The 1821 graded "Genuine--Code 91, Questionable Color," while the 1830 graded EF45.

(Please note that I have no financial interest here. I'm merely putting out this question for academic purposes.)

imageimage
imageimage
"Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end."

Comments

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the stuff on the 1821 near 50c on the reverse? Color seems off. PVC?
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    Good point; however, the auction description notes a genuine grade for QT, not PVC damage.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1830 was cleaned and retoned- and was likely considered market acceptable

The 1821 is a tougher call- I think the reverse has look around the letters that leads me to believe it toned over time- I would like to see the obverse in hand-

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Have to agree with coinkat - I think that the dark areas on the reverse are the issue. The way that they outline the devices, but do not appear on any parts of the design is definitely questionable. Also agree that the '30 was cleaned & retoned - maybe they just got graded at different times.

Don't you know that it's worth
    every treasure on Earth
    to be young at heart?
    And as rich as you are,
    it's much better by far,
    to be young at heart!
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both have been probably dipped, then retoned.

Both are market acceptable, in my book.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    Interesting point. I immediately assumed that the obverse was the problem on the 1821. Interestingly, there is so-called "pull away" toning of the letters and arrowheads on the reverse on the '21, which argues more for legitimacy. Or so the theory goes.
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting point. I immediately assumed that the obverse was the problem on the 1821. Interestingly, there is so-called "pull away" toning of the letters and arrowheads on the reverse on the '21, which argues more for legitimacy. Or so the theory goes. >>

I agree, that's just what I was thinking...Must be the obverse then that's questionable. JMHO.
  • Options
    Another thought...the coins come from the George Dyer Collection.

Perhaps it's like in the old days, that the name describes the occupation? image
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It probably hasnt been resubmitted enough times.
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It probably hasnt been resubmitted enough times. >>

LOL. You said what I was thinking. These two pieces have virtually identical toning, especially on the obverse...and yet the far and away nicer coin- particularly on the obverse- magically gets the QT slam? Higher odds of a resub at some point perhaps, either by a current or future owner?

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It probably hasnt been resubmitted enough times. >>

LOL. You said what I was thinking. These two pieces have virtually identical toning, especially on the obverse...and yet the far and away nicer coin- particularly on the obverse- magically gets the QT slam? Higher odds of a resub at some point perhaps, either by a current or future owner? >>

Pardon my naivete, but is it really just a question of resubmitting a QT toned coin XXX times until it grades? Is something else going on?

Let me more clearly articulate the underlying point of the OP--if I were given both of these coins to grade, and was told that one was "genuine" while the other received a grade, I would have graded the 1821 and body bagged the 1830.

Is it just my eye--missing something?
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grading, all grading, whether surfaces or detail is 80 percent set in stone and 20 percent opinion. On a resubmission, maybe the graders who look at it are seeing it in 'another light', or didnt just look at your nearly identical coin before looking at this one.

no one know for certain on this AT stuff they just go by gut reaction when they look at yours and their brains stack it up against the 20,000 other silver old coins theyve seen. More often than not...they are right.
  • Options
    sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭
    Her's a thought that comes to mind: Is "market acceptable" in one grade not "market acceptable" at a higher grade? Just food for thought.
    Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not like the look of either.
  • Options

<< <i>Her's a thought that comes to mind: Is "market acceptable" in one grade not "market acceptable" at a higher grade? Just food for thought. >>

An interesting point. I think that we are all familiar with the practice of going easier on extraordinarily rare coins, but I'm not sure if acceptability is a grade based issue for relatively common coins.

<< <i>I do not like the look of either. >>

Agree. My earlier point was assuming a given that one was gradable and the other was not. But you know what happens when you assume things...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file