Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Lucius Verus

My newest ancient.

Lucius Verus (161 - 169)
AR Denarius
O: L VERVS AVG ARM PARTH MAX Laureate head right.
R:TR P VII IMP IIII COS III Aequitas standing facing, head left, holding scales and cornucopia.
Rome
RIC 576 (Aurelius), RSC 297
18.5mm
3.3g

Comments

• DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Nice!!image
    Becky
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They sure got some use out of those particular dies, didn't they! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    I was looking for my old thread* about my Lucius Verus sestertius, and came upon this.

You and I presently have the only Lucius Verus threads on the Darkside, it would seem.

If he was indeed one of the "Five Good Emperors", he deserves better.

That's a pretty nice denarius, Mat. I like it better than my sestertius. You still have it?

(Yes, this is another thread resurrection.)

Watch, SmallEagle1795 will post a Lucius Verus aureus, now. Haha.

That would be pretty cool, actually. Your silver, my bronze, his gold.

If in fact he has a Lucius Verus. Wouldn't surprise me.

Here is mine. Low grade, but kind of neat. It is a holdover from my original 2007-2008 collection, when I was a novice.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup still have it and it isnt for sale or trade, lol.
  • SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Watch, SmallEagle1795 will post a Lucius Verus aureus, now. Haha.

That would be pretty cool, actually. Your silver, my bronze, his gold.

If in fact he has a Lucius Verus. Wouldn't surprise me. >>

He's still on my list. There are a few varieties of his aurei which are extremely common which I don't like and none of the tougher varieties have come up for sale in a while, so I've been waiting. I'm still only at Antoninus and Hadrian in my Five Good Emperors - I nearly had a Trajan but was overbid from my already excessive price. Marcus Aurelius has evaded me as well as I'm looking for a younger, more attractive portrait than some of his later aurei.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    So, whats the deal with these second century Romans and their hair? Reminds me of an REO Speedwagon video!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kevin Cronin!

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    Cool coin!

Looks like Lucius Verus suffered a broken nose at some point. Does anyone else notice that in his portraits?

<< <i>Cool coin!

Looks like Lucius Verus suffered a broken nose at some point. Does anyone else notice that in his portraits? >>

Looks like the stereotypical "Roman nose" on Mat's coin. On mine, the bridge of his nose appears to have a slightly more inward curve to it. By this period in the Empire, we still had semi-realistic portraits on the coins, but who knows how accurate they were. They certainly can vary.

For a real hook nosed sourface, check out Galba on some of his silver. He looks very much the stern old soldier he reportedly was, there.

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This Lucius Verus coin is a movie star:

Lucius Verus fake/fantasy coin 38mm

A bronze version of this coin appears in the 1975 film "The Man Who Would Be King".
    A gold-plated version appears in the 1988 film "The Last Temptation of Christ".

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

<< <i>A bronze version of this coin appears in the 1975 film "The Man Who Would Be King". >>

Really. I don't remember seeing it. I do remember some "Alexander tetradrachms". That's on my top ten all-time movie list, I think.

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only part of the reverse of the Lucius coin appears in "The Man Who Would be King".

I had to do some detective work to find it.

It's on my website under "Coins in Movies".

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television