Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

When does the mint charge a debit card ?

I bought the 25th anniversary set with a debit Mastercard last week. When does the mint actually take the money out of my account? I've been watching it and they haven't drawn it yet after 4 days now.

Comments

• Options
    They will take it as soon as you don't have money in your account image

Seriously they will charge your card when your order status is confirmed/reserved
    MT
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They charge when they ship.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Thursdays at noon eastern.
  • Options
    Bankerbob56Bankerbob56 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They charge when they ship. >>

That is correct!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>They charge when they ship. >>

That is correct! >>

• Options
    I process credit cards for various companies I had and per visa mastercard rules you have to ship an item within 24 or maybe 48 hours after you charge a card, so if the projected shipping date is 11/14 I would expect it to get charged around 11/12, but many posters here are claiming that the US Mint has been notorious for shipping earlier. I don't have much experience ordering from the US Mint so I can't say.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I process credit cards for various companies I had and per visa mastercard rules you have to ship an item within 24 or maybe 48 hours after you charge a card, so if the projected shipping date is 11/14 I would expect it to get charged around 11/12, but many posters here are claiming that the US Mint has been notorious for shipping earlier. I don't have much experience ordering from the US Mint so I can't say. >>

The posted, projected shipping date for orders is really nothing more than an estimate.

The mint also pings your card during the processing of orders to reserve the funds/check validity of card before they actually ship and charge the card. I learned this from Discover Card once while speaking to Discover on the phone. They informed that the mint had reserved X amount on my card but had not actually yet made the charge. Discover stated that the "reserve" placed on the card by the mint was to ensure the funds where there when they actually charged/shipped. If the ping to ensure a valid card/available funds fails, I have heard the mint will try a second time before they cancel the order.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    Not to be a downer, but most banks have a daily purchase limit for debit cards, many in the $500-$1000 range. If I were the OP, I'd call my bank, ask their limit, and ask them for a temporary increase through the end of the month to facilitate the purchase if necessary. If not, the transaction will reject and you will not get your coins.

Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file