Home Precious Metals
Options

Sterling Flatware

I have 22.3 Troy Oz. in Sterling Silver Flatware. Where could I sell it and how much should I receive?

Thanks
Gallery 76 Americana & Folk Art
www.gallery76americana.com

Comments

• Options
    Down here in south Texas many places "buy gold and silver" as do coin shops. Typically I see people getting 75-80% of melt and the dealer sells to a refiner for 90% (NTR in this case). They get less for sterling and junk silver, % wise, than they do for gold or at least that is what I am told. My math says you would get around $630 if sold today and all was sterling and not plate or butter knives (SS blade and silver handle usually)
  • Options
    Thanks. Yes all are marked sterling. I would take $600.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't bet on .925. Most sterling is less than that. My last two batches came in at .900. I get
    90% at Midwest Refineries. So, run the numbers and you have about $578 in value less the
    shipping/insurance costs ($32 silver price). So, if you can get a local to give you $550 you will
    be doing very well.

Good luck,

bob:
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Much agreed $550 would be a good deal. $600 is a steal.
    Either way take the money and run lol
  • Options
    ksammutksammut Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have 22.3 Troy Oz. in Sterling Silver Flatware. Where could I sell it and how much should I receive?

Thanks >>

If there are knives included, did you remove the cement in the handles before weighing?
    American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.

My Numismatics with Kenny eBay Store Over 6000 listings and growing with more than 39,000 items sold

My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knives are very dangerous to the fingers to separate the filling from the silver. First off the blades
    are stainless and useless. The handles are hollow and filled with clay or epoxy or resin or such.
    The handle skins are thin and the fillings are difficult to get out. It takes a bit of effort, good leather
    gloves for protection, a vise, a hammer and pliers and possibly a drill to drill out the filler.
    Here's a pic of some that I've done and are ready for shipment.
    bobimage
    PS: due to the effort of separating the sterling from the rest of the knife I do not pay for them. I either
    pass on them or get them for free. Not worth the bother, IMHO.
    Oh, one other thing. If there is any filler left in the handles they will not be accepted. The must be
    absolutely clean.
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    I did not weigh the knives. The handles are sterling but it is interesting to learn more about this area.
  • Options
    I clean the knives all the time, I use a torch, I place them on a barrel and gently heat, resin filled handles will shoot the blade out the clay/plaster will just sit there and then I melt the sterling off. I trade all the time, sterling for 999 silver rounds, 42 grams of sterling for a round, even the knives.
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Interesting & educational thread.
    Thanx 4 posting. Good Luck! image