Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Kremnitz: Security within the Storm

I really like this design. I also am intrigued about how well used they are. Their clear handling connects me with someone a few hundred years ago.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, I always thought those were kind of cool.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I heard these were copied often, being popular good luck charms for travelers. How do you tell the originals apart?
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not too sure what is meant by originals, but they certainly were copied often. I have seen various reproductions of the theme, but they lack the panache of the ones I have imaged here. There are some exceptions, such as this signed Becker:

imageimage
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    I have a ducat sized piece in gold that was added to my wife's charm bracelet as well as a few silver pieces of various quality.

There was a long thread about this a year or so ago. My understanding is that these have been produced since the 1600s and were often/sometimes given to soldiers as good luck charms and protection. A lot are/were mounted. Some are pretty crude, some are cast but some like the Becker piece of harasha are just outstandingly!

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always thought this was a neat design. If my memory isn't failing, wasn't it used for some really long time, spanning some two centuries or so- something like late 1500s on up into the 1700s?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    Goetz even used this design in one of his medals. It can be viewed HERE