Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Barcelona Exposition of 1929

I liked the jugate portraits of Alfonso XIII and Victoria Eugenie.

imageimage

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The jugate portraits are indeed nice, and I really love the (laurel?) border on the obverse, but the reverse is is even more stunning. That carries it from merely "nice" on up into "awesome", from a design standpoint.

Funny, if there hadn't been any inscriptions or readily identifiable heraldry on this piece, I'm not sure how many countries of origin I'd have guessed at before I finally landed on Spain. Probably seven or eight, at least. It looks European, sure, but it just didn't say "Spanish" to me at first glance.

Edit to add: stuff like this could definitely grease the already slippery slope into exonumia for me. Everytime I look at something like this piece, I feel my feet slip under me just a little. image

Oh yeah- another PS- is it silver?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is supposed to be silver. There is a little stamp on the rim, reading 916. There also is a light scraping on a small section of the rim which suggests to me that someone once tested the metal content. image
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD