Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Registry Sets - Non-PCGS coins

Why is it that NGC let's collectors add both PCGS and NGC coins to their sets, but PCGS does not? I would even settle for zero points for the NGC coin, just to add it to my sets. Any thoughts? Would the powers that be consider it?

Comments

• OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will find that many old threads have covered this topic.

Simply stated, each company grades in accordance with its own standards. I believe that PCGS (don't want to be critical here) is on average more discerning. I see the differences in their standards in the series I collect.

In my opinion PCGS wisely recognizes the differing grading standards by not mixing apples and oranges in the PCGS registry. I would not want it any other way.

• I figured as much, regarding the topic having come to light once or twice here on the boards. And I do understand the apples and oranges bit, but allowing someone to add a coin and get zero points is the point I am trying to make. While you can currently add your NGC coin to the PCGS inventory, it will not let you add it to your set - and that's what bothers me. And for the record, I did try and cross the coin (proof seated half) but it didn't cross (it did have a CAC sticker though in the NGC holder). Is there some sort of different standard for CAC'd NGC coins and PCGS coins? Still puzzled by the fact it didn't cross. Maybe I should submit again in a few months?
  • gotta love Safari... tripled my response... had to edit to delete the following two - sorry
  • Money.

Although if they really wanted to take a shot at NGC they'd let them in at a 1-2 grade "discount" (& a bump down in color for copper). imageimage
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    probably never going to happen. content yourself that it works 'the other way around'.
  • JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I think NGC is just more attuned to the general market and customer service. PCGS has done an incredible marketing job building brand loyalty among a subset of collectors and they will collect only PCGS coins. NGC allows both TPG holders and I think that appeals to the majority of collectors, rather than the few.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, if you have a registry set, and want to play the registry games, and you have a NGC coin that you can't put in there, what are you likely to do:

A) Leave it as a hole?
    B) Submit as crossover?
    C) Crack and submit?
    D) Buy a coin already in PCGS plastic?

Anything but "A" is a win for PCGS. Either in getting your money in fees, and taking another NGC coin off the market, or in driving you to buy PCGS (even though they already have the fees, it keeps things looking for conformed and looking like they are the main game in town).

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could also compete over there. The scoring difference is a little better in my opinion. You dont have to have a complete set to win and conditional rarities get a bigger bonus. Not to mention that NGC gives a 25% score bonus for their star designated coins.
  • OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So, if you have a registry set, and want to play the registry games, and you have a NGC coin that you can't put in there, what are you likely to do:

A) Leave it as a hole?
    B) Submit as crossover?
    C) Crack and submit?

Anything but "A" is a win for PCGS. Either in getting your money in fees, and taking another NGC coin off the market, or in driving you to buy PCGS (even though they already have the fees, it keeps things looking for conformed and looking like they are the main game in town). >>

Anything but "A" is a win for PCGS. Either in getting your money in fees, and taking another NGC coin off the market, or in driving you to buy PCGS (even though they already have the fees, it keeps things looking for conformed and looking like they are the main game in town). >>

IMO, PCGS is the main game in town.

I will purchase a NGC slabbed coin if I can see it in hand and if it is CAC stickered. Then I cross it to PCGS at any grade and resubmit to CAC.

Sure PCGS makes more money - I don't mind. When I eventually sell my collection via auction I will get more back for PCGS graded coins.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with oldgoldismoney here. It's exactly what I do also. And why would we want to put our PCGS coins in their registry when our coins are a point or 2 better but considered even to them???
  • JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭

<< <i>when our coins are a point or 2 better but considered even to them??? >>

Are they really?

<< <i>some old fatty NGC holders, a few with green footballs) and got 14/14 to cross first try, two got pluses and two upgraded one point >>

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have crossed a lot of dimes from NGC to PCGS and only 1 crossed at grade. I always pay a grade less for dimes in NGC to allow for this. image
  • Kind of reminds me of another brand loyalty phenomenon...

(Artsy guy in casual clothes) I'm a coin in a PCGS holder...
    (Guy in a business suit) And I'm a coin graded by NGC...

Next, PCGS will announce Secure Plus 4G, and we will line up, camping out the night before the ANA Money Show.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    All about Money. Nothing else.

That is also why they refuse to ship multiple orders together.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

• << <i>So, if you have a registry set, and want to play the registry games, and you have a NGC coin that you can't put in there, what are you likely to do:

A) Leave it as a hole?
    B) Submit as crossover?
    C) Crack and submit?

This 100%. It has nothing to do with grading differences (assuming there really are any that are consistent and not just the subjectivity inherent in coin grading). PCGS is the more established company and they've built their registry as a means to up-sell their service.