Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1978 Sports Deck Division

In order to complete my "Phil Esposito" master set, PSA says I need approx. 50 "1978 Sports Deck Division" playing cards. So it shows that I have only 16% of the set. In the "Gordie Howe" master set it says we need 1 "1978 Sports Deck Division" playing card. So it's alot easier to get 100% of the set.
My question is should you need all 55 "1978 Sports Deck Division" playing cards to complete your player master set? I think 1 should be enought after all it's the same picture on the front with a variation on the back.

Comments

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    If someone gets other varieties of the Gordie Howe Sports Deck Division card graded and requests that the slots be added for the full set, PSA will. They take a broad view of what cards qualify as diffeent cards for a player set. I'm personally mildly in agreement with them on this - what I don't like is that team cards get included.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    I just looked at another player's master sets (Pete Rose master set) and some collectors have all the "1978 Sports Deck Division"cards. I guess it wouldn't be fair to them.

I think what's bothering me is the inconsistency of the master sets.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    It's not inconsistency so much as no one had graded them at the time the set was created, and no one has requested them since.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    It is inconsistency...I requested the "Phil Esposito" master set and approx 50 "1978 Sport Deck Division" card appeared, there are only approx 10 of these ever graded and I never requested any. While the "Gordie Howe" master set only has 1 "1978 Sport Deck Division" card in the master set.
  • Options
    You can request to remove the cards, and they will send an email to the other set owners and ask them if they want them removed.
    Might take a few months,but I would give it a shot, they could be added later if someone has them and wants to add them.
  • Options
    That might be a good idea "Planemonkey". Thanks!
  • Options
    I couldn't agree with you more. The inclusion of more than 1 sportsdeck card in the Howe Master Set would be beyond stupidity for a number of reasons, including, but not limited to, the following: (1) there are apparently 56 cards in the Gordie Howe sports deck set; (2) each card has the exact same front (and the poker card or joker on the back is the only thing different); (3) significantly, THESE ARE POKER CARDS; not sports cards; (4) the poker card top shows Howe in a Detroit uniform - and he stopped playing for Detroit 7 years earlier; (5) if all 56 cards are included in the Howe Master Set at 1 point per card, THESE POKER CARDS WILL ACCOUNT FOR MORE THAN 40% OF THE CARDS IN THE HOWE MASTER SET and approximately 20% OF THE TOTAL VALUE OF THE CARDS IN THE HOWE MASTER SET - and such cards will be worth approximately 5 and 1/2 times more than the value of the Howe rookie card; and (6) the cost for this deck of poker playing cards graded by PSA will likely be in excess of $2,000! Including more than 1 such card in the Howe Master Set will totally take away from the prestige, value and significance of all of the actual sports cards in the Howe Master Set. The foregoing comments are also obviously applicable to the inclusion of the sports deck cards into the Phil Esposito Master Set; it's total stupidity! I suggest that the Esposito and Howe collectors contact the PSA set registry people and communicate the foregoing. Otherwise, it seems likely that both master set registries will be dominated by a set of poker playing cards manufactured in 1978. Unreal!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>THESE POKER CARDS WILL ACCOUNT FOR MORE THAN 40% OF THE CARDS IN THE HOWE MASTER SET >>

It accounts for approx 33% of the "Phil Esposito" master set and only about 10 (out of approx. 50 listed) of these are graded. I sorta see why they are there but it's still frustrating knowing that I will probably never finish these sets!
    BTW there is also a deck of "Bobby Clarke".
  • Options

<< <i>You can request to remove the cards, and they will send an email to the other set owners and ask them if they want them removed.
    Might take a few months,but I would give it a shot, they could be added later if someone has them and wants to add them. >>

I asked them and within a few hours they were gone.