Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Perth Mint unveils world's biggest gold coin

Did you think the Royal Canadian Mint's 100kg pure gold coin could not be outdone? Introducing an over 1 ton (1012kg) pocket piece from the Perth Mint.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-10-27/one-tonne-coin/3604466

Comments

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A coin is something one can carry in a pocket.

These items are sculptures.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    I like to think of coins being struck, and counterfeits being cast. Guess it can go both ways.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder how Canada will respond to this?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one may be heavier, but the workmanship on the RCMP maple leaf seems much, much higher.
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    One tonne!! wow that is some heavy lifting. If it fell off the stand and onto your foot you would soon know about it.

I like to think of coins being struck, and counterfeits being cast. Guess it can go both ways.

I agree but I don't think the pressures needed to strike such a coin would be achievable.

This one may be heavier, but the workmanship on the RCMP maple leaf seems much, much higher.

Very true. The Perth one looks obviously cast, where as the RCMP looks much cleaner.

How do you think they achieve the proof like finish to the high points and edge? buff and polish?

• Options
    so, presumably this is a unique piece, why even bother with making a mold and casting it. why not just give the engravers a slab of gold to carve on?? 30+ inches in diameter is a pretty large working field.
    I'm not afraid to die
    I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    What's the face value of this thing?

And where can I get a roll? (which I'll have to roll home!)

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options

<< <i>What's the face value of this thing?

And where can I get a roll? (which I'll have to roll home!)

image >>

Face value is only AU$1,000,000.00, which seems especially low for one tonne of gold.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just wait until Dubai opens up their minting facility image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Face value is only AU$1,000,000.00, which seems especially low for one tonne of gold. >>

That's face value, though. The intrinsic value on 30,000 ounces or is that 31,100 ounces (?) of gold is something like 52.5 million USD.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>so, presumably this is a unique piece, why even bother with making a mold and casting it. why not just give the engravers a slab of gold to carve on?? 30+ inches in diameter is a pretty large working field. >>

To advertise the capabilities of the Perth Mint, and sell more dragons and kungaroos than pandas, eagles or Maple leafs I presume?

I'm really getting tired of this bullion buying trend and I fail to see any kind of added collectable value in those popular one/two ounces issues that have flooded the market these past 10-15 years. But that's just me. In a recent newsletter, NGC was proudly advertising that 70% of their business comes from these modern bullion coins.

Build a complete lunar set in MS70... what a challenge. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3