Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1991 Topps Desert Shield Wax Box on eBay-Group purchase?

1991 Topps Desert Shield Box

If we can verify provenance with questions and photos, is anyone interested in taking the risk and splitting this box? I don't see it being on there very long. I'm thinking six to nine people. Anyone interested?
Edited to add: I just recommened he tries to sell the box to Steve at BBCE, it's just a lot easier that way even if its a $10-$20 mark up per pack.

Comments

• Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    Will psa slab these? I would be in for 1 pack if they do.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    Steve at BBCE seals them in a bag with his business card essentially a guarantee its a Desert Shield pack. Truly only way to do it....dont know if you can send it to PSA like that and if they'll slab it with that certification by Steve.
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are the markings on this box or packs that verify that they are indeed Desert Shield cards?

Would love to learn...

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    Sorry to sound uneducated on this series but how can you tell that box is a DS box?

I thought you had to open 1 pack to be sure it is a DS box because there is no way to tell from just the box or the packs until you open them. Am I missing something in all those pics on the listing? I just don't see it.

Only reason I am saying something is because someone asked about a DS box not to long ago on ebay that someone placed an index card says DS. Someone in the thread posted that you can't tell until you opened up a pack from the box. Maybe I miss read?

Edit add: LINK
  • Options
    As far as I know, there aren't any. It's simply based on provenance, original seals and likely opening a random pack. Steve stated they purchased about 3 boxes and sold them all rather fast.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya know - I opened packs when I was in Saudi during Desert Storm and don't remember any markings other than the gold foil sticker.

Might be a good idea to ask Steve if one can see the sticker thru the wax paper under strong light?

I never thought they would be that big a deal - till I got back to the states - my son loved them and was trading them for really nice vintage cards.

The packs in the pics look really good - tho that's neither a thumbs up or down - unless it's obvious - I can't tell a good pack from bad.

Good luck if you guys do a rip?
    Mike
  • Options
    The seller is has established feedback and knows a few guys on the registry. He's also familiar with Steve on BBCE. Messaging him, he stated he'd rather sell the box. He was under the impression the packs Steve had went unsold at $70 each......I think Steve had about 20 packs that sold at $90 each, rather fast....the boxes were sold as boxes.
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    I currently own three sets, about 1000 raw cards, two boxes and many packs of the 1991 Topps Desert Shield. The seller was once on the registry, with his set being around #5. We have traded, bought and sold from each other many times. From the outward appearance, the D/S and regular issue of 1991 Topps are identical (yes the only way to be sure is to open a pack)Z. I spoke with Steve about having the packs graded from PSA and he said their policy is NOT to grade them, due to not being able to officially know if they are true D/S packs (I would think that in this day and age of technology it would be possilbe; though maybe not cost effectve for PSA). I also know that their were several buyers who purchased the boxes and packs he had on his site (My understanding is they all sold). With the buy now price, the packs would come to $75 each.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    I bought a couple packs from Steve at $90 each. I would have bought more if I could. The premium I paid is based on Steve's certification. Looking at this one and if I could afford it, I'd probably pay about $2300 for the box if it was indeed good.
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    I'de be interested in a pack or two. Would PSA designate Desert Shield Pack on the flip is the pack was slabbed.
  • Options
    I've always wondered if one way to tell if it was DS, is if the pack is heavier. The added goil foil?

imageimageimage
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand why the seller is making such a big deal about having a box in nice condition. Obviously he just swapped it with a regular issue box.

With this seller's history in collecting this set, I would have no doubt about the authenticity of this box. I wish I had the cash, that would be one heck of a rip!
  • Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    Can you see thru the pack?
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    There's only one graded DS pack in the pop report (PSA 7).
  • Options
    BBCEBBCE Posts: 111
    Hello!
    Lots of people have asked me about PSA slabbing the 1991 Desert Shield baseball packs. PSA will not slab these packs. The reason is that there is no way to tell if the cards are stamped with the Desert Shield logo without opening the pack. So PSA would just be going on the customers word that it was a Desert Shield pack. I'm sure you can guess what would happen too often then.

Thanks! Steve

Also, the PSA 7 Desert Shield pack in the population report has got to be a mechanical error of some sort. It must be a Topps Desert Storm pack that PSA mislabeled.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if any Desert Shield boxes are actually 90% regular Topps packs and 10% DS packs? Opening up a pack or two doesn't confirm that the box is all DS.

If a dishonest person had a few packs of DS, they could plant them in a regular 1991 Topps box and take them to a card shop. The person could try and sell the box by having the dealer open a pack to confirm that they are DS. If the dealer happens to pick a regular Topps pack, the person could just say "damn, I thought for sure that these were DS. Sorry." He could replace the pack and take them to another shop and do the same thing until a dealer picks one of the DS packs.

No one would do that, right? image
  • Options
    That would be a clever way to rip people off. I think it would be safer if you verify the fact that each pack isn't resealed. There were counterfeit DS cards out there. Then randomly pick a few packs and bust them. I'd have a hard time not breaking the entire box.