Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Newp Medal arrived. What do think of it? New pics added

Just got it am am very happy. Looks like it had a very old cleaning as I thought it might. Also looks like an old little round sticker left what looks like the moon in the clouds. Here are some pics I took with an Iphone 4s. I wanted to see how good they could look from the phone.

Just won this one. I don't have many medals but this one really grabbed me. what do you think of it?

Thanks,
Richardimage

Here is the info from the seller.
Mint Place: Paris
Condition: About XF!
Mint Directer: J. Mauger
References: Babelon, J. & Jacquiot, J. 165. R!
Mint Year: 1763 (Here an early 1860-1879 restrike, featuring the BEE privy mark on rim!)
Denomination: Medal - Erection of the Statue of Louis XV in Paris / Homage of Merchants of Paris.
Material: Bronze
Weight: 186.2gm
Diameter: 74mm

Obverse: Equestrian statue of Louis XV on a pedestal decorated with garlands and supported by two caryatids. On the pedestal is a bar relief representing a triumphal scene. Below are trophies.
Legend: LUDOVICUS XV. PATRIAE PARENS DILECTISSIMUS
Exergue: VERA LAUS REGIS AMOR CIVIUM ("The True Glory of the King Is the Love of the Citizens")
Signature: B. DUV

Reverse: Sun shining on fortress seaport with vessels setting sail. On shore are bales and barrels.
Legend: SEDAT FLUCTUS TERRAM ALIT ARTES FOVET ("He Appeases the Floods, Nourishes the Land, Favors the Arts")
Exergue: SEX MERCATORUM PARIS. ORDINES. MDCCLXIII ("The Six Merchant Corps of Paris, 1763")
Signature: B.DUVIVIER F.

At your attention a beautiful early (1860-1879) re-strike of the 1763 dated medal, which commemorates the erection of an equestrian statue of Louis XV on the Place de la Concorde in 1763. It is thought to represent homage from the Six Corps of Paris merchants delivering prisoners and may be related to the Treaty of Paris, signed in 1763 by France, Britain and Spain, ending the Seven Years' War.

Comments