Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Need Opinions on an eBay issue--PICS ADDED

Warning for a long read.

At the beginning of the month, my 15 year old son, who loves Blake Griffin, came into my bedroom and asked me if he could bid on a Blake Griffin lot on eBay. He told me what cards were there and how much he was going to bid as a total price after shipping. I told him it would come out of his money and that he could go ahead and bid on it. Listing

Now I am going to admit upfront that part of this is my fault for not looking at the listing before he bid. If I was looking to buy something on eBay and the seller had approximately 50 feedback and was charging $5.99 to ship 5 Blake Griffin cards, and he called them all rookie cards when only three of them were rookie cards and the other two were from the next year, I would have decided that the seller obviously doesn't know what he was doing and I wouldn't want to get involved. Anyway...

The item ended on October 6, and I paid on October 7. On October 17th, I sent a message asking were the cards were, and the seller said he sent them. On October 20th, I asked again where the cards were, and he said "i can assure you i sent it out sir. keep me updated and i can see what i can do extra for you."

I received the envelope on October 21st. I left it at home or else I would take pictures and post them. The cards were shipped in a plain white envelope with three 44 cent stamps on it. On the envelope, there was a crossed out red stamp from USPS that read something to the effect of "Returned due to insufficient postage. When remailing, please cross this out." When I opened the envelope, there was a single thick toploader wrapped in bubble wrap which contained the 5 cards in penny sleeves. I inspected the cards, and the 48 Bowman, which is by far the most valuable card in the lot and the main reason my son wanted it, had a huge crease on the top right corner.

So to review:

1. He lied to me about shipping time. He knew that the item had been returned to him for additional postage, and that is why it took so long for me to get it, but he insisted that it was in the mail and conveniently forgot to mention that info.
2. He charged me $5.99 for postage and intended to only spend $0.44 for shipping, but ended up spending $1.32 on postage.
3. He send me the advertised cards, and the best one was damaged.

I sent him the following message upon receiving the cards:

Finally received cards today. It appears that there was a delay in me getting them because there was insufficient postage so it was sent back to you to add postage. You charged me $5.99 for shipping and you shipped it in a plain white envelope with three $0.44 stamps. Not really sure what you are thinking; isn't profiting $4 on shipping a bit absurd?Additionally, the Bowman Blake Griffin, which is the most valuable card, has a huge crease on the top right corner.Needless to say, I am extremely dissatisfied with this purchase. Please advise how you would like to handle this.

He sent me a message back asking what other players I liked, and I responded that he obviously didn't get the point--that he did the three things I said he did. Then, he stopped responding altogether.

Yesterday, I called him on the phone--he was a young kid that didn't really care to talk. He said that he knew it was returned to him for additional postage and that he was correct to say that it was "in the mail. He said he charged $5.99 for shipping because he had to "pay for stamps, buy envelopes, drive around for supplies, and drive to the post office." Lastly, he said that the card was not damaged, to which I told him that my eyes must be getting bad. He had kind of ticked me off at that point, so I told him I wanted him to replace the Bowman Blake Griffin. He said "give me a break, I'm new at this."

This morning he said he was going to send me another Blake Griffin rookie, so I asked him if it was the Bowman and he said no, it was a different one. At this point, I just gave up all hope that he had any sense of decency and told him that I'll send the cards back and he can give me my money back as well as cover my shipping fees back to him (I know eBay does not require this, I was asking for it as a courtesy). He responded "i dont do refunds and i already purchased a blake rookie." (Side note: Everyone on eBay HAS to do refunds if the item is SNAD). I looked at his bidding history and he bought a Panini Adrenalyn Blake Griffin rookie, which is technically a game card and not really a rookie (not even close to the Bowman 48). I told him I didn't want that and he said "thats what im sending."

At this point, I called him again, told him that he just didn't get it and that I was going to open a case, and hung up. He then sent me a message "i got pictures of the card you aint getting s***. its not damaged buddy" (he swore at me, I just censored it for this post). Then he sent another message saying, in response to my request for my money back if I sent the cards back, "u paid 3 dollars lol." Basically, he is saying I paid $3, so why don't I just eat it and move on. That was the last straw, so I opened the SNAD case.

He then sent me the following message (again censored for the board):

i just bought another blake griffin rookie. wtf is wrong wit u. u said nothing about a refund . its okay i have pics of the card with no crease s*** head. and if i wasnt trying to work with u why would i pick up the phone. get ur story straight b****

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions here? I am just exasperated that this person obviously does not "get it" and that I have to try to "reason with stupid." Like I said, this is partially my fault for not checking the listing out before my son bid, but this is the worst case scenario that could have happened and there was a small percentage chance of it happening.

Collecting Tony Conigliaro

Comments

• Options
    well, i took the time to read this mess and heres my opinion,, go out to your car and/or take the cushions of the couch reach down the side panel and dig out 3 dollars and 11 cents and give it to ur son, eat the postage, give the jerk a negative,,,, no sense of communicating with this turd, it wont work,, again for that amount theres nothing to be gained after you send them back w/ delivery confirm attatched which is what you will have to do to get you refund,,, just stating the obvious,, smile,, j
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Just follow through with the SNAD claim, be sure to use DC when returning cards and get a full refund (minus return shipping cost). Then proceed to block them from buying from you in the future and neg the hell out of them.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Warning for a long read.

>>

Comments? many. Suggestions? Not really

Your SNAD approach, coupled with his emails, will win you your money back hands down IMO.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    I forgot to add his user name. It is 1234qwerjustinbrittany if anyone wants to add him to their BBL or make sure they never buy from him.
  • Options
    I have to agree with bigjohn, it's $8. You are going through a fairly major headache for $8.

Neg the idiot, BBL him and move on.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't bother wasting your breath with this clown. File a SNAD thru paypal and get your refund. Do NOT respond to him anymore.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    The Bowman card looks bad in the pic he listed. Can't see the crease but the card doesn't look totally flat on that corner.
  • Options

<< <i>The Bowman card looks bad in the pic he listed. Can't see the crease but the card doesn't look totally flat on that corner. >>

I noticed that after the fact. Tough to see if you didn't know it was there, but you can see something if you know where to look.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    You should have opened up an EBAY case as soon as he started giving you static.

This is one of those guys who can't learn.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options

<< <i>You should have opened up an EBAY case as soon as he started giving you static.

This is one of those guys who can't learn. >>

You got rid of the snarky comment which made the time I spent on this post feel satisfying image
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    I would also tell him that you posted his ebay ID on varius forums along with his comments to let him know that everyone added his ID to their blocked list so that he can't buy or sell to these people. That would give me a small amount of satisfaction to know that he knows he is being blocked by so many people. That and now a bunch of us when we are bored will bombard him with stupid questions on all of his listings.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>You got rid of the snarky comment which made the time I spent on this post feel satisfying >>

At least you saw it. image I'm trying to cut back on my drive-by snarking.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    Too bad you told him you actually received them. You should have just tossed them out once you saw they were damaged, opened a case saying item not received and then PayPal would have refunded you once the idiot couldn't provide delivery confirmation for the cards.

Is this cruel, sure but it is pure BS to charge $6 and ship these in a PWE and then lie to you that they are in the mail. Be an adult and at least admit they had been returned because you messed up and this is what caused the delay. You didn't buy these off of a blackitalian by any chance did you? image
  • Options
    jlzinckjlzinck Posts: 907 ✭✭

<< <i>Don't bother wasting your breath with this clown. File a SNAD thru paypal and get your refund. Do NOT respond to him anymore. >>

^^^ This........Nothing Else.
  • Options
    I have a question......did you ever ask your son if he cared whether or not the card was creased? My sons are in grade school and simply put cards in their binder or something. I understand the principal of it as it pertains to you(PWE,creased) and the lesson to your son but it is only abut $10. It seems there is a lot of time and effort being put forth for such a small amount.
  • Options
    Wow, this is a lot of headache over $8, even involving phone calls? I wouldn't even bothered with the SNAD; won't you have to pay for the return shipping (with DC)? Just give him negative feedback and move on.

After seeing the stamps and PWE, you should have filed a claim that you never received your item. Not very honest, but neither was he.
  • Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    You should also report the foul language to Ebay. Supposedly they won't tolerate this. Negative feedback, SNAD. The vendetta is worth $8....
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭
    Neg & move on...........(hopefully both sides learned a lesson)

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Just to respond to some of the responses:

I know that it's a relatively small sum of money and that the cost/benefit analysis does not justify the aggravation I am making for myself with this, but I own a sports cards store for a living, and I put a lot of effort into honest representation of products and customer service, and it irks me to the core when I come across people who really couldn't give a rat's behind, so to me it's worth it to press the issue.
  • Options
    understand your anger, but for 3 bucks, not worth it, i dont think you can get your ship and handling fee's back,, use these pills they work wonders for what your about to incure,, the guys is a dirt bag no doubt , it's just to small amount to take away from your life,,pm your address i'll send ya the 3 bucks so you can move on,, neg the dirtbag fer sure,, j

edited to add, you ask us for our opinions, if you had a mind set of going through the take him down no matter what thing, why ask?

imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    It would take a lot more than a few dollars to get me to call a seller
  • Options
    Today was the last day for the seller to respond to the case; he never did. I escalated the case and received a full refund from eBay. Not really sure why he never replied to the case, but it just made it easier for me because I didn't have to send anything back.
  • Options
    Its a shame that sellers like this give ebay a bad name. Glad to hear you got the money back at least.
  • Options
    Glad you got your money back but you did get something great for this for both you and your son. A great lesson in how to use ebay, some of the things to look for and things to avoid, like 50 transaction sellers with less than 99.9 approval rating. I would give your son a $10 budget and have him find another card/lot he likes and see what he learned from all this and let him gain more real world skills.