Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

T206 Dopner variation

I have a chance to pick one up....any sense of value ?
only 1 ever graded by psa

========

Population Report
Population Home > Search results for "Dopner"
(1) Results found for "Dopner" Sport Year Company Card No. / Series Name / Result Variety / Notes Auth 1Q 1 1.5Q 1.5 2Q 2 2.5 3Q 3 3.5 4Q 4 4.5 5Q 5 5.5 6Q 6 6.5 7Q 7 7.5 8Q 8 8.5 9Q 9 10 Total
Baseball Cards 1909-1911 T206 Polar Bear N/A Gus Dopner (Dorner) 1 1
Rick Probstein
Ebay Store:
Probstein123
phone: 973 747 6304
email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!

Comments

• Options
    There was a Gai authentic listed at auction for 6k a while back, the main concern was that simply part of the R was missing creating the 'error'.

What grade is yours?

I believe their are 4 of this card total.

2 Beckett Authentics
    1 Gai Authentic
    This one that is graded by PSA.
  • Options
    psa 2
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123

• Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    I am unfamiliar with this variation. Can you explain what it is and post a scan? Thanks!
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    Rick, I don't know what the 'authentic' ones ended up going for but I'm sure the 2 would be the finest example known currently since none others have received numerical grades.

Good luck with what ever you do...
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

This card was discussed a few years ago when it came up for auction with something like a 5k BIN?

The player is Gus Dorner - and misspelled Dopner.

Have no idea of value tho.

edit: Dorner

Mike
  • Options
    msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    Pure guess would be $4-5k. I am assuming it has a Polar Bear back.
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    waste of $$

If you count every single lithograph print defect as an error then youd have hundreds of these lame variations.

The whole process of printing these cards back then was far from exact and there are many types of NON-MANMADE Errors ie missing color, dirt on plate or worn plate, offregistration, etc..

A true error is a man made error. Same goes with that lame overrated 1958T Herrr(a), card and others like it.

10-15 years ago there used to be a guy and his wife I believe (forgot their names) that had T206 etc. auctions listed every week/monthly with hundreds of these dirty plate caption variations listed ovewr time, they rarely brought over 150% of their normal value, if that.
    Even though they are not all listed in guides, there are dozens of these T206 caption variations seen/known... Just like there are dozens of cards known missing the red ink, or with orange instead of red backgrounds, etc.

All print defects, not errors.
  • Options
    hi all,

this card just went for 5500 plus buyer premium, plus taxes at the spring 2012 REA auction.

• Options
    yeah, this one was mine...I'm pretty happy with the hammer price...
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123

• Options

<< <i>waste of $$

If you count every single lithograph print defect as an error then youd have hundreds of these lame variations.

The whole process of printing these cards back then was far from exact and there are many types of NON-MANMADE Errors ie missing color, dirt on plate or worn plate, offregistration, etc..

A true error is a man made error. Same goes with that lame overrated 1958T Herrr(a), card and others like it.

10-15 years ago there used to be a guy and his wife I believe (forgot their names) that had T206 etc. auctions listed every week/monthly with hundreds of these dirty plate caption variations listed ovewr time, they rarely brought over 150% of their normal value, if that.
    Even though they are not all listed in guides, there are dozens of these T206 caption variations seen/known... Just like there are dozens of cards known missing the red ink, or with orange instead of red backgrounds, etc.

All print defects, not errors. >>

hi all,

there have been many misspellings in this set. many have not been corrected. many have been corrected on a different pose.

here is a pretty good link about misspellings and corrections
    http://t206resource.com/Errors.html

having one of these cards allows me the ability to look at them up close and personal.

point 0) the set continues to suprise hobbyists and card collectors

point 1) if magie was corrected to magee its entirely possible that other items were corrected, inline, in a similar fashion as the magie and doyle where.

point 2) there are clear differences between the questionable P and a full R.

point 3) the curve/loop on the P slopes of slower than the R, resulting in an inner whole that is a different shape. The letters are ever so slightly different sizes. the loop on the P is wider than the loop on the R

point 4) there are no remenants of a broken letter like other broken letter errors cards. the P has a nice crisp line where the leg of the r would have been had it been an R.

point 5) "bolded" font or the appearance there of due to a thick ink lay down which would obscure your ability to judge these features is not an issue. the letters are printed in a nice clean fashion.

point 6) there are only a few of these cards and most people have not had a chance to own or study one up close.

point 7) i have asked a 8 people to evaluate the card and all 8 have said it is definitely not a lithograph error. i don't think anyone who has had the ability to hold one of these in their hand would say its a litho graph error.

it may take more people looking at this card for the community to agree that it was a corrected error but it will most certianly happen.

thanks,
    kevin