Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

modern proof Jeff prices shooting up

Has anyone noticed the increase in modern proof Jeff prices lately? And I am not talking about the tough dates. More and more of these are showing up on Ebay - something that used to be a rarity - and they are getting bid up like crazy. Strange part is, the prices are going for 2-3 times what you would pay for them off of David Hall or David Lawrence sites...pretty strange, really. A 1987 69DCAM went for ~$60 on Ebay last week. It is $24 at David Hall. Go figure.

Carl, don't you need that date? Heck, I do too for that matter! So, I just ordered it! LOL!
Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.

Comments

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    must be desperation or foolishness.imageimage
  • Options
    littlewicherlittlewicher Posts: 1,822 ✭✭
    I was watching that same auction Monsta! I saw the price and ordered a bunch from David Hall coins too!image I'm trying to cash in on the hype.image

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
    -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.
  • Options
    supercoinsupercoin Posts: 2,323
    Hmm... I'd say they are mixed if my recent auction is any indication.

Seems like it went dirt cheap compared to an 87 69DCAM which is a dime-a-dozen in comparison?
  • Options
    Thanks for remembering what I used to need Monsta!! That really makes me feel good.

I bid $21 for a '87 on Heritage and was outbid 10 days before the auction closed. With shipping, fees and so forth that would have cost me $30. I found R&I had one which cost me about $30 shipped. To me these should be $18 coins, but I had to replace my 70 which wasn't a 70 and I wanted to do it now image

There are a little over a 100 of the 1987s with a handful in 70. Super your 1970 has 58 in 67 DCAM, but there are 90 in higher grades. I think you did OK, it certainly went for higher than I bid image
  • Options
    BNEBNE Posts: 772
    The 70-S was a 68DCAM (only about two dozen graded higher w/PCGS). I've found that the early 70's issues don't come around quite as often for bidding. I think it is a mixed market, with the collector's patience (or lack of it) being a chief factor in price paid, at least for more common issues.
    "The essence of sleight of hand is distraction and misdirection. If smoeone can be convinced that he has, through his own perspicacity, divined your hidden purposes, he will not look further."

William S. Burroughs, Cities of the Red Night
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dates like 1969, 1970 and 1972 are held mostly in the registry already. that's why they aren't listed anywhere in 69DCAM. i have seen a few 1969's---on eBay and at DHRC. the early 70's dates are hard to find raw in a nice cameo with clean fields. at least i haven't found anything worth submitting. most dates after 1976 can be had for $25 or so at R&I, about the same elsewhere and in auction. i think i'll e-mail the winner of that eBay 1987 and offer him a deal on some other dates!! geez, no wonder prices are on the rise.

Carl, did you get that 81 T2 you needed? PM me if you still need one. heck, if i can't move up, you might as well.image
  • Options
    Thanks for the offer keets! I did get one. The only Jeff I need now is a '97 SMS and I have a bid on one.
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Monsta,

While you're chatting Jeffs, let me ask your advice. I recently found a couple of full-step MS64-MS65 1971 pd, 1972 pd coins. Is there enough demand to justify slabbing them?
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    DHeath, I really just do proof Jeffersons right now, so am not a good person to ask...although I did start a full step set a while back and gave up on it due to increasing prices last year. So, there may be demand. If I recall correctly, some of the early 70s dates are not too hard to find in full steps, so unless they are are really high grades like 66FS or 67FS, you may not make a huge profit. Of course, it is only $10 to slab them, so maybe you'll do all right. Check Teletrade for prices realized and look at the trend in the price for the last year. Of course, also check the pop reports.
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.