Home Precious Metals
Options

PM's are spiking upward today. Anyone know why?

PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,419 ✭✭✭✭✭
Silver up $1.57 and gold is up $53.80 as I type this. Any reasons for the spike in price?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Comments

• Options
    I read somewhere (I think kitco) that tree is speculation euro zone may print money to address debt crisis.
    Many buy and sell transactions. Let's talk!
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea, because I sold mine yesterday !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SP 500 and DJIA taking a beating. Not much else left to run to.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    earnings reports now and forthcoming
  • Options
    Equities sell of due to european non-resolution. There will be resolution of some sort, apparently at the last minute, so be prepared to take paper PM profits soon.

• Options

<< <i>Equities sell of due to european non-resolution. There will be resolution of some sort, apparently at the last minute, so be prepared to take paper PM profits soon. >>

The European situation is going to get much, much worse before it gets better, IMO.
    Several member nations of the EU are teetering on the brink of complete default and the Germans aren't going to continue to support them (and the Euro) indefinitely.
    If Germany pulls out of the Euro, the Euro will fail, taking the weaker EU nations with it.
    Of course that may trigger a run to the dollar and cause pm's to drop v the greenback.
    If I knew the answer, I'd be driving a much ritzier car! image
    If you can take profits out of PMs now, what would you put them into?
    I'm long-term bullish on gold and silver.
  • Options

<< <i>If you can take profits out of PMs now, what would you put them into?
    I'm long-term bullish on gold and silver. >>

If you think PMs are due a drop, put it in cash and buy them back on the cheap. That's how one with a limited investment income makes the stack grow. This is easier with the paper PMs as there is less costs to trade and faster transaction time. The stacker is an investor, the paper player is a trader, why not be both! You can turn paper profits into more bullion. You can't do it with paper losses so be sure of your trades.

• Options
    Europe
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Metals spiked after the European finance ministers cancelled a meeting scheduled for tomorrow. Chaosity ensued.

One of the dealers on my old dealer network had a cute story. Just before the spike, a guy comes into his shop and says he wants to buy 10 Maple Leafs. The dealer looks at his screen and quotes a spot price of $1654.

The guy gets all piffy and says that before he left home spot was $1649, and demands that the dealer sell besis that. The dealer tries to explain to the guy that that is not how the game works, and the guy gets mad and leaves.

Five minutes lates the dealer looks at the screen and gold is up about $40.

Within half an hour the guy hustles back in, starts pulling cash out of his pockets and says he's not gonna drive all around town shopping prices, and he'll take the $1654 spot price. He then gets all piffy again when the dealer will not honor the price he quoted.

Sometimes the dealers drink in celebration!!!!

LOL!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Europe >>

Yep and the Euro stayed firm. I'm guessing folks think there will be a EU backstop on the Euro............MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>Metals spiked after the European finance ministers cancelled a meeting scheduled for tomorrow. Chaosity ensued.

One of the dealers on my old dealer network had a cute story. Just before the spike, a guy comes into his shop and says he wants to buy 10 Maple Leafs. The dealer looks at his screen and quotes a spot price of $1654.

The guy gets all piffy and says that before he left home spot was $1649, and demands that the dealer sell besis that. The dealer tries to explain to the guy that that is not how the game works, and the guy gets mad and leaves.

Five minutes lates the dealer looks at the screen and gold is up about $40.

Within half an hour the guy hustles back in, starts pulling cash out of his pockets and says he's not gonna drive all around town shopping prices, and he'll take the $1654 spot price. He then gets all piffy again when the dealer will not honor the price he quoted.

Sometimes the dealers drink in celebration!!!!

LOL!

image >>

Great story!
    Many buy and sell transactions. Let's talk!
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    he should wait a few days, he'll get his chance at $1650 again. Maybe even $1600 image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭
    I think there were also a couple of commodities reports suggesting prices will continue to increase in the next few months and also of inflationary increases.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Europe >>

Yep and the Euro stayed firm. I'm guessing folks think there will be a EU backstop on the Euro............MJ >>

Actually looks like the IMF, er USA, will provide that backstop.

Incidentally though, PMs took off at 10am when the Richmond Fed and consumer confidence reports were issued. Both were terrible which led to thoughts of increased FED intervention, ie, QE3.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 1,039 ✭✭
    why do you think that is true Baley?

other than that's the way it's been going lately.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <Actually looks like the IMF, er USA, will provide that backstop.>

yes. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The spike is directly related to the scheduled Raw Milk Demonstration @ the FDA HQ's in Maryland.
    Soccer moms on 1 Nov are gearing up for a raw milk smuggling operation, driving across state lines and consuming it in front of FDA Headquarters in Maryland. This milk is non-FDA approved and the moms are terrrorists. If you see a mom drinking non-FDA approved milk stay away, they will shoot you with their milk filled squirt guns, very dangerous. TSA is planning for all out war.

Freedommilkdrinkers
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    I'm not telling.