Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

eBay must be hurting for money--11/21 PENNY AUCTION DAY

Two weeks ago, they ran a penny auction day. One week ago, they ran a free auction day. Today, they are running another penny auction day. Their number of listings must be down and they are trying to stimulate new listings so they can collect FVF.
Collecting Tony Conigliaro

Comments

• Options
    does a 9 cent savings on listing fees really motivate people to list more ?
    if we list 400 items today, we save $36.00
    that pays for lunch...
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Wow. I can eat for a week on $36.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are set to make 2.6 Billion in profit this year.

I think they run those specials as a teaser to get smaller sellers to list cheap items. I have tons of cards I could get $2 for all day but I never list them because of time and cost.

They make their money on the final value fee and then the PayPal transaction.

• Options
    yea its a gov plot to get your auction listing count up over 200 ,lolol, lol, i call this postcard day, because you never know what postcard will sell and what wont,,,j
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    yeah but if you put up 1500 listings your saving $135
  • Options
    Morning,

I doubt that E-Bay is actually doing much hurting for money but as a Seller on there I can tell you that things are not well recently for me!

I am no big time Seller like some on Fee-bay but over the last 2-3 years have worked up to an decent average of about $80-$125 per day, pretty steady. In the last two weeks Sales have dropped off the map, I had one period where I didn't have a Sale for 4 days, I mean 4 Days !!!I haven't gone more than 24 hours or so in 3 years at least, or since I opened a Store. My sales for the last 7 day period are $221, that off like $300-$500 average. And right now I am at the basic top of where I like to run my listing count of 1050 listings. So its not like I don't have some inventory. And as well my cards are marked below what every other Seller selling the same card is asking.

Just another sign of the times and I understand this crap is cyclical, but am damm ready for an upswing in the cycle!!!

Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>does a 9 cent savings on listing fees really motivate people to list more ?
    that pays for lunch... >>

I think it is more of a psychological motivation than a monetary motivation. When people see an add for "free" or "a penny," they think they are getting a deal.

I search for "Ted Williams" every day, and when they have a free listing day there are at least twice as many new items than on a normal day.
  • Options

<< <i>does a 9 cent savings on listing fees really motivate people to list more ?
    that pays for lunch... >>

I believe that's if you set the starting price to 99 cents. However, if the starting price is above $50, the listing fee is $1/listing and above $200, it's $2/listing. Therefore, if you have 400 listings with starting price above $50, you save nearly $400, and if you have another 50 listings above $200, you save an additional $100. This way you can ensure a minimum selling price for your cards with no risk or listing fees (e.g., just a minimum 1 cent fee).

Or you can think of it this way, if you have an ebay basic store or no store, this is a way to get your BIN's as auctions on the cheap, especially since many ebay buyers filter out BIN's.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Their number of listings must be down and they are trying to stimulate new listings so they can collect FVF. >>

Well, yes, but even Apple and Walmart air commercials to try and make more money.

• Options
    Last week they gave out 1000 free listings, today they give another 5000. Every week for probably the past 6 weeks (give or take), they have run free auction or penny auction promotions. What is the deal? eBay is being flooded with overpriced auction crap that makes it difficult for buyers to wade through it and find items they want at reasonable prices.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    i love this. i'm wading through today's closings from last week's flood.

can't wait until next Tuesday.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Itzie has more patience than me, I take the day off when half the listings close on days like today
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    It would be nice if the auctions had to start at .99 cents or something. Way to many over priced cards.
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    If you use the number of bids filter you'll get rid of most of the overpriced listings ending today.
  • Options

<< <i>If you use the number of bids filter you'll get rid of most of the overpriced listings ending today. >>

Then you might miss out on items that are titled wrong, or spelled wrong. I picked up some really nice things the past few days that no one saw (modern cards).
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If you use the number of bids filter you'll get rid of most of the overpriced listings ending today. >>

Then you might miss out on items that are titled wrong, or spelled wrong. I picked up some really nice things the past few days that no one saw (modern cards). >>

True, but for the folks who just stay away altogether on these days because of the volume, it's better than not seeing anything.
  • Options
    Just received word that tomorrow is a penny auction day.

Let all of the overpriced crap continue to clog the system.