Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What do you think of this Italy 500 L.?

When I saw this I fell in love with it, and really want to buy it. It is in a icg ms67 slab. I know nothing about the value of these, so let me know what you think a fair price for this is. Also, if you agree with the grade of ms67. I appreciate any input! Hopefully I can get this for a decent price

Comments

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    They are not rare, but that one is beautiful. Not expensive either. I have had a couple and never sold one for more than $25, Saw you checked ebay?? IMHO, I'd keep looking at that price IMHO.image
  • Options
    commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They are not rare, but that one is beautiful. Not expensive either. I have had a couple and never sold one for more than $25, Did you check ebay??image >>

This one is on ebay image It's definitely more than $25...haha
    I know they aren't rare but I have been looking for a while now for one with toning like this...
  • Options
    I edited my post during your post.image
  • Options
    Thanks...
    I know that is high...just kills me, this one is calling me! haha
  • Options
    Impulse is your worst enemy in this hobbyimage
  • Options

<< <i>Impulse is your worst enemy in this hobbyimage >>

Couldnt agree more.
    What would you think is an acceptable price for this coin, if you could get the price?
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a raw one in a high grade, its a beautiful design. The toning on that one is amazing, mines got gold around the rims.
  • Options
    Nice coin! I have a few and they're very affordable. What year is it?
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭
    Great design and toning. Looks pretty flawless to me. Would grade 66-67 at PCGS IMO.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    The date is raised numbers on the edge. Coined from 1958 to 2001 as according to Krause.
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    Its a 1966.
    What would you guys value it at??
  • Options

<< <i>Its a 1966.
    What would you guys value it at?? >>

Well, 1966 is very common, I think $25 + grading fee would be ok for MS66, maybe $5-10 more for MS67, and maybe $10-15 more if someone finds the tonning is unique/attractive. Overall, I think I could see your coin, in NGC MS67, at $70. ICG may be $5-10 less.
  • Options
    Ya, unfortunately it's priced much higher than that...the seller isn't budging either :/
  • Options
    I have to agree with mudskippy
  • Options
    Thanks!
    Might just have to bite my tongue and move on from this one..as much as I would love it.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even before I opened this thread, I had a hunch you were gonna be discussing this design.

Nice design and nice example. Worth a premium in MS67 with that kinda toning (even in ICG plastic), but how much of a premium is the question.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,828 ✭✭✭✭✭
    attractive coin

Sometimes I wonder how many of these survived in this state- I suspect many have been melted

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>Even before I opened this thread, I had a hunch you were gonna be discussing this design.

Nice design and nice example. Worth a premium in MS67 with that kinda toning (even in ICG plastic), but how much of a premium is the question. >>

I am debating that myself!
    This design is just one of my favorite, on any coin. I absolutely love it. And I have never liked toning as much as this...but the premium being asked is just so high...I don't know if I could overspend that much on such a common coin just because it's pretty...but then again, most of my collecting is based around design (Im a graphic designer) and history...more the latter for this one.

Here's another monster toner, a little too distracting I think though...and about twice as much as the one I want

link
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    The coin itself is common; it's not a factor. You're paying for the toning. If you love it, then go for it, but don't buy it for the coin or supposed grade, IMO.

Back when I was seriously into toners, I might have dropped $50-75 on it slabbed, but not more. If you're into 3 figures, then definitely look elsewhere...
  • Options

<< <i>The coin itself is common; it's not a factor. You're paying for the toning. If you love it, then go for it, but don't buy it for the coin or supposed grade, IMO.

Back when I was seriously into toners, I might have dropped $50-75 on it slabbed, but not more. If you're into 3 figures, then definitely look elsewhere... >>

It's into 3 digits...
    I've been looking for this coin, nicely toned, for a couple months now and this is by far the best I've seen....I just hate finding stuff I love that is unreasonable to buy :/
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    The toning IS gorgeous. However a few things would give me pause (in addition to the price):

1. Toning that thick will hide flaws. There's no way to tell the true condition of the surfaces without seeing it in hand.

2. ICG is liberal at the high end of the grading spectrum. The odds of it ever crossing to PCGS (if that is your intent) are slim.

3. ICG slabs are tough to sell, regardless of the coin in them. They sell well back of the same coin in NGC or PCGS plastic. I speak from experience. When I sold off my world toners, the PCGS and NGC pieces sold quickly and at good prices. The ICG and ANACS pieces had to be discounted considerably.

Personally, I would pass. This isn't a classic/vintage coin where the odds of finding another are slim to none. This is a modern bullion piece. They sell for the melt content. There are millions of surviving pieces.

If this were a coin from the 1800s with this toning, or even into the 1920s or 1930s, it would be worth considering, but not on a modern coin IMO.

Just my 2 cents...
  • Options
    Thanks for the response!
    I know they are a dime a dozen, and typically I am the opposite of this, but I am just in love with this design, and I want to get the best example of I can to fill that void. There is no way I would be happy with a regular, blast ms67.
    As far as Icg goes, I could care less really. I wouldn't cross it over to pcgs probably. I do want one that is slabbed, but company isn't everything, the coin is everything. I have gotten some serious steals on icg coins in the past (this wouldnt be one of them!)
    I just have that nagging feeling that I won't find another one with this beautiful toning...but I'm sure that isn't true.

As a side note, ANYTHING with color on ebay (world coins) is priced through the roof...do you (or anyone else) know of another place to look?

Thanks again