Home Precious Metals
Options

Bellaire Coin Show 10/22/11

Good show; pretty crowded, actually. Nothing exotic here...lots of boxes of coins in flips, some US/foreign paper, plenty of bullion displayed and moving around, lots of 90% and SAE's but didn't see (any?) many bars of silver or gold on display, plenty of US and Mexican gold coin, didn't see any pre '33 stuff that got my attention (wasn't really looking either). A few specialty dealers like dark side and such. Maybe they had 50 tables. I didn't look around that much other than to walk all the aisles to see if anything looked cool. It was really too crowded to linger and push to the display cases so I mostly just took care of my business. No coin supply guys, just local dealer types and the spirits seemed good on both sides of the aisle. Notable that there were some Chinese women there that were trying to work some buy AGE deals but they kept walking away after the dealer gave them a price and then coming back and ask the price again, kind of strange it seemed but from my experience I believe that you really don't know what Chinese women are up to when there's money or gold involved.

Went to the Proof Set guy and traded out proof/mint sets and some misc. stuff and $120 for 3 1/10ozers ('11) selling at $185 a copy.

Went to the local US circ dealer and sold a cull/duplicate set of washies (-) the 32 d and s and took a beating selling some westward journey nickels. What a bad idea that was for me go buy them from the mint in the first place...what was I thinking? Did good with the washies though. Traded out for retail credit and got the following:

1 c '09, 09 vdb, 10, 11.
50c '16s (obv)
'17d
'17s (obv)
'35
'36
'36s
'41s
'43s
'44s
'46d

3- unc Kennedys (still need 4 more to complete the set)

and $154.

I left for the show with $140 cash and came back with $154 (+ one of the 20's I had left with) so I made $14.00 so I had the trades worked out about right before I went out...but I had to pay $50 to get my resoled shoes from the shoe repair shop so, just another day in the big city. Coin shows are plenty of fun.

Had the best 20 minute conversation with the collector dealer guy. He told me a cool story about a dealer at last years show that took in a counterfeit trade dollar (what was he thinking?) for grey sheet. Well, the guy came back the next day and tried to sell another one and the dealer guy grabbed a cop and got the money out of the guy from the last coin...very uplifting. Told me about one of the notable dealers here that had died last month...sad, he was a great and notable dealer in US numismatics.

What stats I did glean:
1/10 age sells at 185 don't know what the buy is
90% sells at 22.5 face
Bullion buying at -5% of spot, same for 90%
unc common morgans buy at 26 sell at 30
Westward Journey Nickels sell for freakin' FACE because nobody wants them, but it's not my problem anymore. The only thing I did like about them was that they toned nicely.

Have fun out there!

Comments

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report mh. It's fun to wheel & deal to get rid of what you don't need in order to get what you want, and Houston is a great place to do it!image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.