Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1989 Fleer Error Questions

I'm looking into possibly buying an unopened case of 1989 Fleer Baseball (wax, cello or rack) to rip for fun. Does anyone happen to know if there is a way to distinguish which cases or boxes contain errors or are the early release versions? Is there any certain types of cases to stay away from besides making sure the original seal isn't tampered with or covered up with another layer of tape. Any help or small tips would be highly appreciative.

Comments

• Yes. Although it's not 100% accurate. If you are buying from ebay, I'd forget it. Others apparently know as for years, 99% was Black Box rack cases. If it's not from that run, it was resealed or went for alot of $. This was my experience over the course of a few years and over 50 rack cases. Never really bought much wax and cello was not as plentiful. I think I had 1 or 2 Black Scribble cases, 2-4 FF, pulled 1 saw cut showing on a rack, sold some rack packs to a CU member and I pulled Black Box from the case (or no versions, I dont recall) and he pulled 2 FF saw cuts and gave them to me. (Thanks onefasttalon). Everything else was BBox or nothing.

Stay away from cases that have a sticker on top (shipping label) that says K-Mart. In my experience these rack cases yielded no Ripkens. Seals were legit. Contacted the Seller (Well known Company) and was told K-Mart requested no versions after the FF hit. That's all the proof I have of that statement.

Cello- If legit (Fleer used clear tape to seal and easy to remove/replace) back when the FF was $100. Can yield the rarest version, only avail in cello ( I have email from Fleer stating that) and I must keep the details of the variation to myself as it's easily counterfitted. (Not a saw cut).

Small tip- coming in PM.
    imageimageimage

• << <i>Yes. Although it's not 100% accurate. If you are buying from ebay, I'd forget it. Others apparently know as for years, 99% was Black Box rack cases. If it's not from that run, it was resealed or went for alot of $. This was my experience over the course of a few years and over 50 rack cases. Never really bought much wax and cello was not as plentiful. I think I had 1 or 2 Black Scribble cases, 2-4 FF, pulled 1 saw cut showing on a rack, sold some rack packs to a CU member and I pulled Black Box from the case (or no versions, I dont recall) and he pulled 2 FF saw cuts and gave them to me. (Thanks onefasttalon). Everything else was BBox or nothing.

Stay away from cases that have a sticker on top (shipping label) that says K-Mart. In my experience these rack cases yielded no Ripkens. Seals were legit. Contacted the Seller (Well known Company) and was told K-Mart requested no versions after the FF hit. That's all the proof I have of that statement.

Cello- If legit (Fleer used clear tape to seal and easy to remove/replace) back when the FF was $100. Can yield the rarest version, only avail in cello ( I have email from Fleer stating that) and I must keep the details of the variation to myself as it's easily counterfitted. (Not a saw cut).

Small tip- coming in PM. >>

PM replied to, thanks for the little tip.
  • arexarex Posts: 999
    I'll be going Monday most likely to pick up an 89 fleer 89 bowman and 87 topps rack cases. Seller says he has a wax case as well. Let me know if you have any interest in splitting it with me.
    Arex
  • Arex, I just sent you PM
  • LOOK FOR 5 NUMBER SMALL SERIAL NUMBER ON THE LOWER FRONT OR REAR OF CASE. THOSE NUMBERS WILL GIVE YOU A GOOD IDEA IF IT HAS ERRORS. DONT BUT CASES WITH SEALS TOTALLY BROKEN TOPO OR BOTTOM, BOXES COULD BE REPLACED WITH NON ERROR BOXES. IF SEAL IS PARTIALLY BROKEN, BUT PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO OPEN BOTH FLAPS THE CASE SHOULD BE GOOD. ANY QUESTIONS BLUESTUFF6 AT AOL.COM OR 631-960-5750.
    NUMBERS STARTING WITH NUMBER 8 ARE DEFINATELY WINNERS. 9 'S COULD HAVE ERRORS TOWARDS THE END OF FEBRUARY 1989. A CASE PRODUCED ON DECEMBER 31 1988 (1989 FLEER) WOULD HAVE A CODE 83651 IF MADE AT FACTORY 1. A CODE 90311 WOULD BE FROM JANUARY 31 1989 FACTORY 1.

• LAST DATE OF ERROR PRODUCTION SHOULD SAY "ERRORS WERE MADE TOWARDS THE END OF JANUARY 1989 NOT FEBRUARY 1989.