Home Autographs Forum
Options

How often do you find yourself buying autographs with NO exemplars?

? There is no one here, and this is such a rarely discussed topic.

Eric

Comments

• Options
    Never, always know what you are buying.
  • Options
    Hi,

Well, yes, of course.
    But, what would you do in the following scenario: You have an important, complete collection few folks have. Maybe a few in the country. Many items literally unique. You also collect the reference books for these items. You have every book (1st ED) on the subject but one, and you have had them all signed personally to you or have signed editions of great age. The last reference book you need - no has seen it with a DJ. You find a 1ST edition in Australia in great shape with DJ and signed, fountain pen on foxed paper with inscription. You have no exemplars. Price is reasonable. Will you trust your eye for hesitancy and fluidity? Will you trust your nose and eyes re age and all. Assume you have 20 years experience in these fields. So, what will you do?

Best and thanks,
    Eric image
  • Options
    I've collected autographs over 20 years.

I trust no one. That's why I haven't had a forgery in my collection.

My advice would be simple, can they prove the auto is authentic? Have they had a third party look at it?

If the item is that rare, they would have no problem doing this to collect a premium price.

Their are autograph authenticators is every country, it should not be a problem for them. Request it, and find out what their responce is.

Dave
  • Options
    Hi,

Me too. Long time. I do trust myself, my observations and logic tho. I know who I don't trust and you will find a list of them on certain bits of paper. Oh, Messrs. RE, S, CM, SK, RS - not with a 10 foot pole. How many auction houses and authenticators have you seen that you DO trust? It is easier and faster to count them that way. I will also say I have never had a return for any reason at all. The two problem pieces I bought knowing I would return - they were bought for study - a Brando was one. Some of those above....those "third folks"...well.. fill in whatever you want. image
    Now, when I tell you I have bought genuine unique Judy Garland SP's on eBay for under $70 in broad daylight you will think I am truly hopeless, or will you? Richard Burton "Spy who Came in" SP studio 8x10 for $3?

Eric
  • Options

<< <i>I've collected autographs over 20 years.

I trust no one. That's why I haven't had a forgery in my collection.

My advice would be simple, can they prove the auto is authentic? Have they had a third party look at it?

If the item is that rare, they would have no problem doing this to collect a premium price. >>

I'm interested in autographs but fairly new to it, and don't know the ins and outs.

What would you consider your own proper evidence of authenticity?

Would you settle for a photo of someone signing a similar 8x10? Just curious. And I assume whatever evidence they have comes with the auto, as you would then need it in case you need to sell it.