Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Columbus Medal - Help

I picked this up on impulse - VERY large and thick 80mm medal in holder. A few rim bumps and perhaps needs a dip in acetone.

I would appreciate any input on significance of this medal and scarcity.

I found one reference to this medal in prior auction - Auction Link

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    probably issued during the Colombian World Exposition in Chicago:
    you might find it in one of these lists:
    Expo lists medals 1892-1893
    nice medal image
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cant find it there apparently its a Spanish medal by Mauro.
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    I think its in list: Eglit 101-200 - number E-111
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Found this in an auction catalog:

RARE MAURA MEDAL. Same as Eglit 111, but for size; Rulau B2. 70mm. Silver plated Bronze. Bartolome Maura Y Montaner, Sc. The obverse depicts a shipboard scene of Columbus pointing out the landfall to an assembled group
    of his sailors. A long Spanish language legend in fancy letters surrounds. The reverse bears a scene of Ferdinand and Isabella receiving Columbus before the throne in Barcelona, Indians and an eagle to the left. Rulau describes this medal as “...one of the best ever conceived for the Discovery.” In his extended discussion of this piece, he states that the Academy of Fine Art of San Fernando, located in Madrid, held a competition for a medal to celebrate the 400th anniversary of the Discovery of America. Maura’s design, with some alteration, won the competition and this most beautiful medal is the product of that victory. At the time of the design’s submission, Maura was engraver to the Bank of Spain. The following year, he became Madrid Mint Engraver. Eglit gives the size as 77mm, but this is either a typo or an error.