Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Two New Ancients

Finally got some new ancients.

Kings of Axum (Aksum)
Anonymous
AD 400-500
AE 14, 0.75 grams
O: Crowned bust right, holding cross-tipped scepter
R: Greek Cross; central punch-hole inlaid in gold, Inscription "May this (cross) please the country."
Munro-Hay 76, BMC Aksumite 316

Sabina (128-136 A.D.)
AR Denarius
O: SABINA AVGVSTA, diademed and draped bust of Sabina right.
R: CONCOR-DIA AVG, Concordia seated left, holding patera and scepter.
Rome
18mm
3.33g
RIC 391; RSC 24
Ex A. Lynn Collection (Freeman & Sear E16), 89

Comments

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Sabina coin is a very nice one!

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    The Kings of Axum coin is pretty cool.image
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Sabina.

The Axumite piece is interesting. I didn't realize (or had forgotten) that they struck bronze. I've admired some Axumite gold a few times.

The gold inlay on that one is also pretty fascinating. Is that commonly encountered, or is this piece an oddity? If it was done "officially", you've got one of the earliest bimetallic coins I can think of.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The gold was purposely done. Only info I have about the gold is below:

<< <i>One of the most curious aspects of Axumite coinage is the use of gilding on some of the silver and bronze coins. The amount of gold used would not be enough to significantly change the value of the coin, and the reason for this labor-intensive process remains somewhat a mystery. It is usually found highlighting the portrait of the king or as embellishment of the cross, so it may serve the same purpose as gold tesserae in church mosaics and gold leaf on manuscripts--to reflect the Divine Light shining on the monarch and the church. >>

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, that makes what would otherwise be a rather crude and (to me) unappealing coin rather fascinating. Cool.

Now, can anybody else name an earlier "bimetallic" coin than this?

(Alloys like electrum don't count- I mean "bimetallic" in the modern sense here.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only the below sheds some light but I dont think there is a clear cut answer unless it is a Axum.

<< <i>The first coins were minted in only one metal, gold, silver, bronze and sometimes lead or electrum, a gold-silver alloy.
    The first bimetallic coins can be considered some private issues dating from the 4th century AD. Back then, the Roman Emperor used to give to the members of the imperial guard special coins or medallions, made from precious metal, especially gold, as gifts. These coins, most of them unique, were large and heavy, usually 5 or 10 times the size of normal coins. They were objects of prestige and kept as such.
    Some of the soldiers, mostly from barbarian tribes, used to take these coins and wear them. When they did that, they used only 2 methods: the first one was to drill a hole into the coin and the second one was to place it in a special montage.
    So they took a ring made from precious metal and inserted the coin in the middle, a procedure similar to the one of making pendants. These can be considered the first bimetallic coins, even through private issues. >>

Text