Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

2012 Silver Britannia First Look

Despite the grand title of this thread, you've seen the design before. 2012 will mark a return to the classic Nathan design of Standing Britannia.

Here's the photo from eBay (seller: thelondoncoincompany). They don't appear to have photos on the Royal Mint site yet, so not sure if this is a photoshop or not (though it doesn't appear to me to be). Seller says they're shipping starting Nov. 2.

Maybe this will finally drive down the prices on the 2011s so I can get around to adding one to my set.

Comments

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That really is a nice design! I may get one this year...thanks for posting, I'd lost track of them.

Cathy

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice design, and worthy of its classic status.

But is there less detail and/or lower relief this time around, or are my eyes deceiving me? Britannia seems a bit flat and devoid of much detail. Then again, I suppose that could be because we're looking at a mockup and not an actual coin?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    I tend to think it's the lighting, Rob.
  • This will do the Edward Vll florins no harm valuewise im happy to think , it's always been my favorite reverse.
    I'm also a fan of those florins. I think this design stands up well to them, though.
  • This is the design that got me into Britannia collecting in the first place. It's still my favorite and I'm glad to see it return. I wonder what the chances are that Phillip Nathan will ever create a new Britannia design -- I think the series has suffered in his absence.
  • ajbaumanajbauman Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭
    I'll be placing my order for these shortly, for anybody that is intersted.
    Buying £2 Britannias
    Here's an official image from the Royal Mint. They're going on pre-sale for £57.50 + postage.

• I just received my 2012 silver Britannia today. While it's still my favorite Britannia design, it seemed "off". It took me a second to realize that it uses a different finish from previous uncirculated standing Britannias -- instead of the reverse proof finish of the '98, '00, '02, '04 and '06, it uses a mirror-like brilliant finish. Definitely different from what I'm used to on this design; I prefer the reverse proof. But it's a nice coin nonetheless.