Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

He shoots, he scores! 1979-80 Topps Wayne Gretzky rookie Color Separation Negative graded BGS 9.5

I mentioned this "card" in a thread Sunday night as I was trying to figure out what I had bought on a whim as I saw it and didn't have time to do research first like I usually do. Anyways, I went to pick it up this morning from Heritage in Dallas, and when I got it, it looked really nice, so I went ahead and took it up the road to Beckett to have it graded and slabbed. They termed it a "color separation negative" and I handed it over to them at 10:21 AM and I was walking out by 11:03 AM with a beautiful BGS 9.5 Gem Mint grade. This thing is a pain in the butt to scan, but it's nice in hand and doesn't have those spots and stuff on the negative that you can see. I might end up with a decent profit on this one if I can find a few Gretzky collectors that want it. The white you see on the edges is from the backing that Topps has with it, it's not on the actual negative.

I only collect signed rookies for my permanent collection, so this one will be available at some point, just not now as I don't know how to price it yet.

1979/1980 Topps Wayne Gretzky Color Separation Negative BGS 9.5

Buying US Presidential autographs

Comments

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭
    Talk about service! I have a ton of Topps Vault Ripken items that I need to have slabbed....

I'm glad you didn't get it signed...

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike:

not to be "nosey," but what did Beckett charge you for the grading/slabbing?

Thanks

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Mike:

Thanks

IMF >>

IMF,

$50 plus tax. but that's because I'm impatient. I didn't want to wait and didn't bother to fill out a form. Just got the director of grading and he came out, we talked for a minute and he took it in the back. They had 2 day service for $25, and some lower service levels as well. I figured I got a good enough deal on the piece itself, that the grading fee was well worth it.

Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Mike:

Thanks

IMF >>

I'd be interested to hear that as well, they are only a 1000 mile drive for me, if they got me out in 40 minutes its worth it right!
  • Options
    Great grade nav. image

I'd be interested in what it's worth also. And of course when and where you decide to sell it. image
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Great grade nav. image

I'd be interested in what it's worth also. And of course when and where you decide to sell it. image >>

Spoken like a true Canadian! image
  • Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    WOW, very nice piece! I don't know what you paid for it in the Heritage auction, but you could probably make money on it if you re-consigned it to someone.
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • Options
    MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    MIke, that is awesome!
  • Options
    Keep us updated on how much you get for it. Love stories like this!

Hope you get a ton of money. image

-Jason
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    Heritage auction - $227
    BGS 9.5 ---------- $50

Ebay $599 BIN OBO = double your money
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Jim ... your edit beat me to it. I was just going to write ... $599.00 ... NOT $499.00. LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>Heritage auction - $227
    BGS 9.5 ---------- $50

Ebay $599 BIN OBO = double your money >>

I've already turned down $750, so it's not going to go to ebay for $599 image

I might throw it up on ebay though for some ridiculous BIN and see what kind of offers it gets, or take my chance at .99 cent mininum bid and let it fly. I just don't know if the hockey market is big enough to have at least two people willing to bid above what I've already turned down. I hardly ever watch hockey cards, especially unsigned ones.

Mike
  • Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    The card market is crazy. Regular Topps/OPC Gretzky rookies fetch decent money and there are probably hundreds of thousands out there. You would think this card would sell for like $25,000+ due to how rare it is.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    If this is a one-of-a-kind item, especially considering the subject and card it created, I'd seriously put the BIN at $1000-1500, take offers, let it run for awhile and see what happens.
    Lots of Gretzky collectors out there.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>The card market is crazy. Regular Topps/OPC Gretzky rookies fetch decent money and there are probably hundreds of thousands out there. You would think this card would sell for like $25,000+ due to how rare it is. >>

I am sure Mike will sell it to you for$10,000.00 and let you make the extra $15,000.00.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    Just make sure to make it available to Canada.
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    That sure is an ugly card, but super cool nonetheless, would be a nice addition to any collection.

Just curious, what does the back look like?
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Awesome piece!

Congrats and good luck!
  • Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool item! As for its relative worth, there are very few who are interested in this sort of "proof" type card. I drop a lot of money on Gretzky cards but I have no interest in a shadow impression of a Gretzky rookie. I'm sure a lot of people are the same. Great item, but most people want a memory from youth, not a memory from the print production phase at the production plant.

Good luck with the sale.

-Nathanael
  • Options

<< <i>there are very few who are interested in this sort of "proof" type card. >>

Nathanael,

Very good points. I just hope to find 2 of those few that are interested in order to run it up when I decide to auction it. As the old saying goes, "It just takes two to Tango".

Mike
  • Options
    I say .99 cent auction and see where it goes. I can't imagine it would go for less than $750 and I wouldn't be surprised if it went for significantly more.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Keep us posted, very curious as to what that will sell for.
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭

Nice! not an easy thing to do, and they look cool together.

Another cool group would be the color progressive proofs for this card, if they still exist.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find vault cards to be quite interesting. I only have a few, one of which is the Mylar progression proof of the 83 Boggs rookie.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.