Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Please help me understand something

How can someone with only 9.87% completed on a set have a higher set rating and be listed in a higher position than someone with 15.22% completed?

I don't get it.

This is in the 1965 Topps registry
Zach

Comments

• Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    ZACO - Since the '65 set is weighted, the collector w/ the lower completion % no doubt has higher weighted cards. If he has lets say, Mantle, Clemente & Rose, their weight is about 28, but if he has Lenny Green, Bob Skinner & Chico Salmon his weight would be 3...jay
  • Options
    so....it's not always about percentage complete.

Thanks
    Zach
  • Options
    Yes...Jay is right. For example, in the '63 registry, my set is 44.97% complete, which is 6th most complete....but, overall ranked 7th in set rating. I've spent most of my time building my set commons first, as they are a lot tougher to get ahold of, than the star cards.....so since my set is not heavily weighed with the big ticket cards....some sets with more weight, but less cards can beat it.
    I would imagine that just about every year registry has an example of this in the rankings.
    1963 TOPPS~ SayitaintsoJoe's Fresh from the pack Screamers~ All pictured in living color

"There's no crying in baseball card set building."
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Perhaps you have never heard that "size doesn't matter".
  • Options

<< <i>Perhaps you have never heard that "size doesn't matter". >>

My wife complains to me about that all the time!...lol
    Zach
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

Zach-

Looks like we will be going side by side on the 1965 registy for many years to come!..... Completion % is my #1 goal.

Best of Luck with your set.

John
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Zacojam:

It is not only the "weighting" of certain cards, but also the grades of the cards attached to them.

For example, a 1965 Topps set with 200 PSA-graded commons, each graded at PSA 4 VG will appear lower on the registry than a 1965 Topps set with 90 PSA-graded commons, each graded at PSA 9 MINT.

Combination of the weights and the grades attached to the cards.

MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    My understanding of it is that a psa 2 of a star card with a weighting of 5 would be worth 10 and a psa 9 with a weighting of 1 would be worth 9. That's why folks with the star cards in psa 6, 7, or even 8's have higher rated sets even though they have much less completion.

wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Options

<< <i>Zach-

Looks like we will be going side by side on the 1965 registy for many years to come!..... Completion % is my #1 goal.

Best of Luck with your set.

John >>

Thanks john...you too!
    Zach