Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Buying/Selling oddities

Before starting a "rant" thread, I wanted to ask a basic question of anyone else who is/has put together a 1975 mini collection:

Has anyone else, in the process of buying cards for their set, received a mini card in a full size PSA holder? Did PSA not always have holders specifically sized for mini cards? The serial number begins with 1575xxxx, so I'm thinking its not all that old.

I just received a mini card today that simply floats around the holder that is clearly made for a full sized card. Something doesn't seem right here.

Otherwise, I wanted to know what other idiosyncrasies collectors have experienced while buying and selling on any number of web and auction sites.

Comments

• Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    So far all the 1975 Minis I have submitted and received back have been in a holder that fits the size of the card.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    Has anyone else, in the process of buying cards for their set, received a mini card in a full size PSA holder?

Yes. If the card is taller than 81 mm, it won't fit in a mini holder, and so it's put into a regular-sized holder with a clear plastic wrap to limit movement. Mini's with a pink/yellow color combo tend to be long and will commonly be found holdered in this fashion. For an example, see the photo of card #67 in my registry set (the link is in my signature line).

A card cut into a trapezoidal shape (i.e., diamond cut) will also often not fit in a mini holder and will instead be placed in a regular sized holder. See the photo of card #226 in my registry set as an example.
  • Options
    DakilloDakillo Posts: 158 ✭✭
    Thanks, Indy...that makes me feel better about its legitimacy.

Another thing that really 'grinds my gears' -- sellers who list their card as (for example) a PSA 8. When you're not on the net full time and rely on short breaks to be able to research and bid/buy cards for your set, you can frequently throw a bid on a needed item based on the title alone.

Then, as the auction approaches its end, you notice that your lowball bid is still winning. Further, its the only bid placed. Brief elation is quickly shot down when you view the enlarged picture to see the parentheses under the grade. Yep...its a qualifier.

Although I'll complain about the ethics of omitting the qualifier from the title of the listing, I won't blame the seller. It is, after all, a PSA 8...just not one that anyone desires to own.

Dakillo

-- Not so proud owner of a '75 mini Gary Carter rookie PSA 8 (OC)
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Thanks, Indy...that makes me feel better about its legitimacy.

Another thing that really 'grinds my gears' -- sellers who list their card as (for example) a PSA 8. When you're not on the net full time and rely on short breaks to be able to research and bid/buy cards for your set, you can frequently throw a bid on a needed item based on the title alone.

Then, as the auction approaches its end, you notice that your lowball bid is still winning. Further, its the only bid placed. Brief elation is quickly shot down when you view the enlarged picture to see the parentheses under the grade. Yep...its a qualifier.

Although I'll complain about the ethics of omitting the qualifier from the title of the listing, I won't blame the seller. It is, after all, a PSA 8...just not one that anyone desires to own.

Dakillo

-- Not so proud owner of a '75 mini Gary Carter rookie PSA 8 (OC) >>

I always reports those as deceptive or misleading title - my own personal windmill to tilt at...
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    DakilloDakillo Posts: 158 ✭✭
    Indy78...I'm new here and don't know how to activate or access the PM feature, but would like to get in touch with you on your registered mini set. I can help fill some of the voids you currently have.

Dave (dakillo)
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    Click the profile button (up top, near where NEW THREAD is usually) and the option is on that page.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page