Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

t206 back variations

hi,

I have sent 2 requests to psa in regards to starting to tag t206 cards with a proper and full card back variation including subject count of the brand, factory and district.
they don't seem overly willing to adapt and track these variations even though they manage and do such for newer cards.

I guessed that they would have been more receptive to this considering cert number 1 is the wagner and it is the most notariable set in almost all of the industries but they are proving me wrong.

Has anyone else mentioned this to them and hit the same reluctancy?

Please post your thoughts and setiments on lack of recognition to the t206 true variations as well as whether or not you think it is important for them to distinguish the cards and their populations at such granularity.

Thanks,
kevin

Comments

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    It would be very nice if they did. Perhaps someday they will. It took quite a few years (and a lot of collector comments) to get them to include any back information (or to distinguish red and black backs from 1952 Topps baseball 1st series).

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Some of those backs command a major price premium.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Kevin -- it took PSA well over a decade to simply recognize the Advertising backs on T206 cards. The fact is, no grader recognizes the 150 vs. 350 vs. 460 series of T206s, and SGC only [sporadically] recognizes the Factory 42 designation on Piedmont 350-460 cards.

m
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    PSA has graded over 134,000 T206 cards. Over 73,000 are in holders identifying the issuer, and over 63,000 are still in plain T206 holders that don't identify the back. If PSA were to start labeling down to subject, factory, and color, less than 5,000 of the 73,000 will be in correct and up to date labeled holders. There will be about 129,000 cards out there that "need" to be fixed so gdoggmets doesn't have to look at the back of the card when buying. It would be far easier for you to flip the card over, and that would always be a real necessity because I would not rely on a data entry person to get those rock solid browns and blacks correct, or be 100% on where a card goes with 350-460 printed on it. It would also further complicate the pop report down to an even more difficult to use and useless level, with sellers wrongly hyping up the scarcity of their newly labeled pop 1 of 1 Piedmont 350 backed card.
  • Options
    Hi,

Ok. I see your point but i think you partially missed mine. Its not entirely about the taking the time to flip it over. I would like to add flipping it over online is impossible. You have to email...and wait 24 hours. Back recognition would bring the hobby to recognize the importance of it. I digress....

Some of the subject backs have much lower populations of the same card in a same pose with a different subject back. My point was that....how can you recognize newer cards as 1/1 and do population and pricing on them but not do it it properly for the "Set of all sets". To me it is an abomination to the hobby to not have these recognized as different cards.

I understand that there are business reasons but the fact is there are defenitely differences that need to be recognized.
    The question is why do this for topps 2010 super triple die cut mantle fake auto combined with julius irving game used shoe rubber whatever..... game used garbage people collect now adays and not the t206 set.

Essentially my point is that the hobby is not recognizing the clear distinction that they are different cards.

At what point does anything that is different on a card become a variation an error or a completely seperate card worth noting as a seperate card. We are not talking about a printing problem or mistake.

Closer: We are talking about clearly intended and indicated differences in the card in quantities that can not be ignored.

Kevin
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    I can see problems. As noted above.
    However it is an excellent idea. PSA notes variations on lots of other examples.

I would think most seller would note the back as it isso important.

PSA could offer a reholder similar to cracked case. Ithink anyone who ownes a T206 card can afford and would want the service.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets