Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Details grading and PCGS

What, if any, change will result in details grades in PCGS sets for scores?
I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.

Comments

• STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Probably no change
  • I don't see any changes coming either.
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is something that needs to be clarified. Perhaps Don Willis can chime in and share thoughts on this?

Personally, I feel it should be exactly the same as the NGC program, in which you get 1/2 the 'normal' grade rating for a details grade.

This would certainly increase the value and benefits of a PCGS genuine holder.

A change in this manner should also allow NGC to open its registry to details graded PCGS coins, which will be of a great help to many here who share registries.

• Id they give credit for 1/2 of the details grade it lowers the value of non-problem lower grade coins from a registry perspective
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they'll end up giving some extra credit for the details graded coins. Primarily to create the need for the thousands and thousands of coins in current genuine holders to come back to PCGS for a regrade. That's easy money for PCGS that isn't too easy to pass up.

• I suspect, if details grading gets half score, that damaged coins will regain some lost value--which I think makes sense. Right now, an otherwise almost uncirculated coin that has been rubbed with hairlines is treated like dirt, as if it were less than a VG-8 veresion of the same coin. As things stand now, I fear that people are purposefully pocket-piece-ing such coins, wearing them down to make them more marketable.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.

• << <i>I think they'll end up giving some extra credit for the details graded coins. Primarily to create the need for the thousands and thousands of coins in current genuine holders to come back to PCGS for a regrade. That's easy money for PCGS that isn't too easy to pass up. >>

That is a very interesting point!
  • seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think they'll end up giving some extra credit for the details graded coins. Primarily to create the need for the thousands and thousands of coins in current genuine holders to come back to PCGS for a regrade. That's easy money for PCGS that isn't too easy to pass up. >>

I agree with you here.
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.