Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

No apolagy only a dedication and passion BRADY AUCTION

In the last days after Oct 6th I have heard and listened that I am an idiot, you paid crazy prices, silly money, burning money, +++++.

Prices are fuelled at auction with under-bidders. A true price of a coin is quite simple the price that one is pre-pared to pay at a specific time.

What creates demand? how many under-bidders are their?

There is nothing as strong as passion I have for our hobby and I make NO apologies.

Please consider a few facts about Brady a dedicated person who created a collection over 30 years, he brought to the hobby a new reference work on Groats. An amazing focussed collection a catalogue which will be sought as a reference work.

I propose another way of looking at the prices, how about saying thank you Mr. Brady for bringing together in one sale such a remarkable collection. We are delighted and hope the prices achieved at auction were some small way an appreciation for your dedication to the hobby. There is no value that can be placed on the time and effort for your soul you devoted to amass such a collection.

We wish you every success and hope you find the opportunity to create another collection.

j
www.petitioncrown.com
A collection uploaded on www.petitioncrown.com is a fifty- year love affair with beautiful British coins, medals and Roman brass

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I don't guess you heard that from board members here, several of us have been known to pay over the top for special coins (either rarity or condition) when they come along. I happen to agree that when something comes along that you may only see once every 5 or ten years (or even longer) that you pay what it takes to get it for your collection. I bought the only certified 1788 P940 gilt halfpenny earlier this year and paid a pretty big price for it. But as far as I have been able to find there is this one and two others in museums in the UK, when would I get another opportunity to buy it?

So I say good on you, in another 10 or 20 years if they go up for auction again people will once more pay "silly" money for them.
  • Options
    A truly difficult/impossible coin in high grade 1788 P940, whatever price a great acquisition image

Regards
    Your name sake
    A collection uploaded on www.petitioncrown.com is a fifty- year love affair with beautiful British coins, medals and Roman brass
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just recently paid double for a coin type, 1958 1/2d VIP Proof, that I already own. I really wanted the coin, so I paid up. Did I overpay? When compared to the other examples I have, yes. But I have no regrets.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Whatever you pay, i support. You buy to meet your passion to create your unique collection.

I am sure you had a great feeling when you purchased the coin.

Tell us more and other stories

I thought I was the King to pay crazy, silly prices - join the club image

Many want to certify me to psychometric observations

www.petitioncrown.com
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know, I reflect back to a time some 14 years ago that I stretched and paid well into 5 figures for a coin and absolutely cringed at the time. However it was unique and because I was bidding resolutely was able to catch some very "well heeled" bidders flatf ooted and they let the coin go. It is now easily quadrupled in value and really would not sell it at even at that price.

Another story was when I purchased some 10 years ago an 1875H penny in truly phenomenal red-brown full lustre condition for a price (incl. commission) of L759 pounds - this purchase was reported in Coin & Medal News something to the effect of "eyebrows were raised in the salesroom when a buyer parted with L759 for an 1875H penny"...

Try and get that coin for that price now!
    Anyway, it is not so much that such coins have appreciated but that I knew they were what they were and that was rare & absolutely worth the stretch.
    Congratulations SwK for your purchase(s)!
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I'd pay up to 1000 pounds for the 1875H if you're tired of it, that would give you a nice profit. image

I'd guess one coming up today would get closer to 2K if it was a decent unc.
  • Options
    WoW WoW, 1875H did not ever see one in this condition image we can bid for a coin that is not for sale - i am in the bidding, for sure a rare one. I remember when 1864 penny were not supposed to be rare - you have one of either type?

J
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    funny the 1864 1d comes up- I see that date as being underappreciated in just about any grade. I sold my 1875-H at auction years ago- it was not unc. but an attractive coin. Seems to have been a mistake on my part

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmmmm, hahaha. LOL!
    That 75H is by far the nicest I have ever seen, but you would really be mad if you saw the 64 serif from Spink some 12-15 yrs ago!
    Never could find a crosslet to match but since I essentially collect by date anyway, not the end of the world.

Sorry SwK, not trying to pirate your thread & only agree with your sentiment and confess to my own similar "guilts".
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭✭
    If you know your specialty, then you know some coins are simply worth more than the price lists and past auction results would suggest. I have bought several Canadian and Maritime coppers over the years for well over published prices. Since the grading companies rarely grade gem Canadian coppers higher then MS-65 (very few 66's, almost no 67's), it pays to understand the full range of color, strike, surfaces, and eye appeal that exists in 65 holders for the various dates. The primo 65's are very much worth premium bids.
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    I'm a great believer in if you have the money buy what you like, at whatever price you can afford. If a coin is especially nice or rare just rip up the guide prices. What may have seemed like a high or silly price today, years down the line will seem like a steal. Rarity and quality will always find buyers at high prices.

Congratulations Jeff on your purchases and I hope you enjoy them for many years to come.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you know your specialty, then you know some coins are simply worth more than the price lists and past auction results would suggest. >>

Very well said!
  • Options
    "Value" can be very personal many times. If it is worth it to you, then you did not over pay.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    If you like certain aspects of a coin (toning, lustre, etc.) and you are buying for your collection and not specifically for resale, does it really matter what mass-market catalog pricing for generic widgets (to borrow a lightside term) is?

If I buy a blazing toner or a low-population piece or sleeper, does the Greysheet/Krause/Spink/wholesale price *REALLY* matter, if it's truly a piece I'm in love with or that I know will only come around once in a forever?

I have plenty of toners that, if I look at generic catalog pricing, I'm completely and utterly buried in. If you buy an AU piece at MS64 money because it has "that look" that you're striving for or looking to match amongst other pieces, yes the generic collectors and the dealers (and dealer wannabes) will certainly say "You are an idiot" and "I got mine at a third of the price" (never mind that their piece is a dead, dipped, mediocre example).

Pardon the tangent, but it's relevant (I think):

I've been fairly sparse here over the last 1-2 years because my focus has shifted almost entirely from coins to stamps, specializing in late-19th century U.S. revenue stamps, a fairly specific and esoteric area. One of the concepts I've come to appreciate more in the last 2 years, that I wish I had grasped much earlier on, is "Don't be afraid to overpay for quality."

If a piece truly has unique characteristics, whether they be aesthetic, grade-related, or population-based, they will always have a demand. Run-of-the-mill pieces is where you are much more likely to get burned.

Since transitioning to philatelic endeavors, I have learned that focusing solely on price guides means that you will likely never get the creme de la creme. If you're a dealer, then yes, you have to keep an eye on the bottom line, as it's your livelihood. As a collector though, to truly assemble a lauded or exceptional collection, this means sometimes "overpaying". If you don't, others that have the chutzpah will step in and get the pieces... and then 5-10 years from now you'll look back and say "Man, that was a bargain. I should have bid higher/bought it".

Overall, I have far more regrets over pieces I didn't buy, than those I did.

A willingness to push the limits, combined with knowledge and expertise in the area you're collecting, can ultimately result in an incomparable collection. And it doesn't have to be moon money or material only the wealthy can afford. Hell, I'm a civil servant on a budget, for Pete's sake. It can be as simple as collecting a series or type that normally sells for a few bucks each, but focusing only on the top X% of that type, and being willing to spend $20-30 for them. To the outsider or the dealer it may look like you're crazy, but a few years down the road, once you've put together that collection of top-notch examples, I bet you won't be sorry.

(Except of course Churchill crowns; no one in their right mind would ever buy those at any grade... image )
  • Options
    HAve to say that if you follow your passion, you never feel like you over-pay, and that is a good thing.

I also just wanted to make it three "joined in 2002" in a row.
    :=)
    Wanted: High grade Irish (Republic of Ireland, not Northern Ireland or British) coins, slabbed and unslabbed. Also looking for Proof and Uncirculated Sets
    PM with info.

Auction Sniper For all your sniping needs. Tell them I sent you and I'll get three free snipes!

e-bay ID= 29john29