Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Who will be inducted in the HOF in 2012?

Who do you think will make the HOF next year? I think they announce the voting results in December.

The best chance by Cary Overs is:
Last Years Vote %
Barry Larkin - 62.1%
Jack Morris - 53.5%
Lee Smith - 45.3%
Jeff Bagwell - 41.7%
Tim Raines - 37.5%

Best chance by a first year player: Bernie Williams / Ruben Sierra.

I'm hoping for: Larkin, Morris, Smith and Raines. I don't think The Rock will make it.

Dave

Comments

• CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭
    I have a strong feeling this is the year Marlon Miller gets in.

I actually just had a TTM failure from him recently. Sent him a check for BAT along with a card. He returned the check and said "I am not an agent for BAT" and kept the card. I always thought the secrets to TTM success were BAT donations.
  • OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    thats an ugly class.. has to be larkin solo
  • hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    I think Larkin and Smith have the best shot, but I'd like to see Bagwell get in and wouldn't be shocked if it happened
  • 70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭
    IMHO I don't see either Larkin or Lee Smith as being HOFers. They were very good players, but not amongst the
    all-time greats. Smith having 478 saves would be in if he played on a team that actually won something.

As for the first year eligibles, the only one that even intrigues me is Bernie Williams. Lifetime .297 hitter who seemed to just
    OWN the post-season when it came to getting clutch hits. His numbers in 16 years are superior to Larkin's, but still not quite
    at the ATG level. He's a maybe at some point in the future when you look at the career + post-season accomplishments but
    definitely not a 1st time enshrinee (too bad, because he was also a very personable guy playing in the Bronx zoo in the days
    of George)

Dave
  • pclpadspclpads Posts: 457 ✭✭
    Solid players all, but HOFers? I think not. If any / all got in, it wouldn't suprise. Anymore, the HOF has become the HOG - Hall of Good.
  • PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Anymore? It has been the Hall of Good for sixty years. I see Larkin getting in. I see Morris eventually getting in. Whether you like him or not, he has done the kinds of things that HOF voters traditionally reward (20 win seasons, lots of wins, World Series heroics, etc.). I'm not talking a stat debate on his ERA, etc... just saying that I think voters will vote for him. Not sure he gets 75% this year, but he will get a higher count than last year. Raines SHOULD get in, but I don't know if he ever will.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭
    There's really very little guesswork that needs to be done for the baseball HOF if you look at previous votes. Larkin will get in and Morris and company will get closer but fall short.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Larkin gets in and I believe Jack Morris should get in. He was such a big game pitcher. How can anyone forget the 10inning gem he pitched in the 91 WS and it was a game 7.

As for the Pro Football HOF Class of 2012. I would love to see these 4 Steelers get in, but I think only 2 get in this time (Bettis and Dawson)
    Jerome Bettis
    Dermontti Dawson
    Bill Cowher
    Donnie Shell
    Cris Carter
    Bill Parcells

Class of 2012 Modern Era Preliminary Nominees:
    Quarterbacks
    DREW BLEDSOE, Phil Simms

Running Backs
    TIKI BARBER, Jerome Bettis, Larry Centers, Roger Craig, STEPHEN DAVIS, Terrell Davis, Eddie George, Curtis Martin, Brian Mitchell (also KR/PR), Gerald Riggs, Herschel Walker, Ricky Watters

Wide Receivers
    Tim Brown (also KR), Cris Carter, Gary Clark, Mark Clayton, Henry Ellard (also PR), KEYSHAWN JOHNSON, Andre Reed, Sterling Sharpe, Jimmy Smith, ROD SMITH

Tight Ends
    Ben Coates, Todd Christensen, Frank Wycheck

Offensive Linemen
    Tony Boselli (T), Lomas Brown (T), Jim Covert (T), Dermontti Dawson (C), Joe Fields (C), Jay Hilgenberg (C), Chris Hinton (G/T), Kent Hull (C), Joe Jacoby (T), Mike Kenn (T), Jim Lachey (T), Willie Roaf (T), WILL SHIELDS (G), Steve Wisniewski (G)

Defensive Linemen
    Dave Butz (DE/DT), Chris Doleman (DE/LB), Carl Hairston (DE/DT), Charles Haley (DE/LB), Ed “Too Tall” Jones (DE), Cortez Kennedy (DT), Joe Klecko (DE/DT/NT), Dexter Manley (DE), Charles Mann (DE), Fred Smerlas (NT)

Linebackers
    Cornelius Bennett, Kevin Greene (also DE), Ken Harvey, Clay Matthews, Karl Mecklenburg, Sam Mills

Defensive Backs
    Eric Allen (CB), Steve At water (S), Joey Browner (S), LeRoy Butler (S), Kenny Easley (S), Albert Lewis (CB), Donnie Shell (S), TROY VINCENT(CB), Everson Walls (CB), Aeneas Williams (CB/S), Darren Woodson (S)

Kickers/Punters
    Gary Anderson (K), Nick Lowery (K), Reggie Roby (P), MIKE VANDERJAGT (K)

Special Teams
    Steve Tasker (ST/WR)

Coaches
    Bill Arnsparger, Bud Carson, Don Coryell, BILL COWHER, Tom Flores, Jimmy Johnson, Chuck Knox, Chuck Mather, BILL PARCELLS, Buddy Parker, Dan Reeves, MARTY SCHOTTENHEIMER, Clark Shaughnessy, Dick Vermeil

Contributors
    K.S. “Bud” Adams, Jr. (Owner), Bobby Beathard (Admin.), Gil Brandt (Admin.), Leo Carlin (Admin.), Jack Kent Cooke (Owner), Otho Davis (Trainer), Ed DeBartolo, Jr. (Owner), Ron Gibbs (Official), Jim Kensil (Admin.), Eddie Kotal (Admin.), Art McNally (Official), Art Modell (Owner), Steve Sabol (NFL Films), Paul Tagliabue (Commissioner), Burl Toler, Sr. (Official), Jim Tunney (Official), Ron Wolf (Admin.), George Young (Admin.)
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    There won;t be 2 Steelers going in this year.

Will be one, my money is on Bettis. Along with Curtis Martin, Willie Roaf, Bill Parcells and Cortez Kennedy. Those are my predictions. If a WR gets in, Andre Reed has been garnering the most support of the 3 top WR the past 2 years. I don;t see any other offensvie guys going in. Shields and Dawson would be the next in line, and with Roaf going in, I doubt they would but a 1st ballot Guard, nor a 2nd Steeler. If Bettis doesn;t get in, Dawson would have a better shot.

Cowher is going to coach again, he's too young. No chance they will put him in right now.
    Donnie Shell will move to the heavily diluted senior pool next year, so maybe he gets into the top 25 semifinals and gets one last look, but just don't see it happening for him. Once in the Senior pool, who knows. LC Greenwood got more support in the past, so Shell IMO is the longest of shots to ever get in.

From the defensive side, if Kennedy doesn't get in this year (and he has been VERY close the last few years) he may never. With Sapp and Strahan becoming eligible in the next couple of years. Zero chance the committee will elect a 5 man modern class of all offensive players, and Cortez has been the closest defensive guy. Although Charles Haley and Kevin Greene are creeping up the ranks.

Oh and don't forget about Tagliabue. With the labor issue now solved, the committee may finally give him the nod. In fact, I'd rank him the #6 guy right now with the best chance of knocking out one of my top 5 that I predicted, and it won;t be Kennedy, more likely Bettis or Martin.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • I know there are varying views on the DH, but I believe Edgar Martinez should get in some day.
    Ken Griffey Jr. Collector
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Lee Smith is looooong overdue and Barry Larkin.Sorry Jack I know You pitched some great games and there are a few pitchers in the Hall who you were as good as unfortunatley they were politically correct as I really do not know how they got in.I have to believe Lee Smith has been a victim of the GOOD OLD BOYS that do the voting.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    To me, Larkin, Lee Smith and Raines are all deserving. That said, only Larkin will get in this season.
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭
    What a hitter.
    I'm all for edgar gettin in.

The game has changed...if one inning wonders can get in so can a DH
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Raines is easily qualified. He produced more runs than Gwynn in the same number of PAs (+/- 200). I would vote for Larkin and Bags as well. Would not vote for Smith or Morris.
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    I think Larkin goes in by himself.
  • msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    Larkin in....Morris maybe (will be in within 2 or 3 more votes)....others hopefully not anytime soon.

• I believe Raines will get in someday. No this year but IMO, he deserves it. 84.7% success rate stealing bases is pretty darn good. Especially considering he is 4th all time in steals. His drug addiction from the 80's may hold him back but they seem to overlook those kinds of things more and more.

I always thought Lee Smith should be in. Larkin for sure. I'm torn on Morris.
  • saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    I think of really only Lee Smith as a HOFer out of that group. I guess Larkin but I hardly noticed during his playing days. Bagwell is a roider??
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it will be Larkin, Bagwell and Raines.

Steve
  • bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    I'm still rooting for Ron Santo and Joe Torre. Jim Kaat deserves consideration as well. Larkin has a good shot this year.
    Capecards
  • EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭
    Tommy John
  • Gil Hodges, put up solid numbers and played or manage on 2 of the most beloved teams in baseball history, 55 Dodgers and 69 Mets.
    A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore.
    Yogi Berra

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee Smith? I really don't see why he's considered a candidate other than amassing a bunch of saves. He was a one-inning closer for the majority of his career and put up a 3.03 ERA. 3.03 for a closer? That's mediocre at best. And let's be honest, if he was ever the best closer in baseball, it was for maybe one season (1991). I just don't see it.

I also would keep John, Hodges, Larkin, and Kaat out.

Tabe
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Kaat should certainly be a HOF IMO
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Kaat should certainly be a HOF IMO >>

I absolutely agree. I did make a topic here not too long ago pleading his case. He does face the same problem Bert Byleven had before he finally got in--lack of flash or name recognition.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Kaat had longevity to come up with the numbers he posted.I can not see any currrent eligible Pitchers make the Hall Of Fame anytime soon except for Lee Smith..A 3.03 ERA is very acceptable for a closer.A closer can go 17 straight inning withot giving up a run then BINGO in his 18th iniing of work he gets blasted for 6 runs and his era jumps to 3.00.If he is a one inning pitcher that means 17 times he shut the other team dowm.
    Kee appeared in 1133 Games ,1289 innings had a 4W10L in 1983 with a 1.65 ERA and led the NL in Saves.His carrer record was 71-92 that is what will probably keep him out and has so far.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Larkin deserves it and will probably make it.
    Bagwell and Raines deserve it but will probably not.
    Smith an Morris don't deserve it and should be outsiders.
    Joel
  • 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    Among those on the ballot, if I had a chance to vote it would be for Larkin and Smith.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!

<< <i>Gil Hodges, put up solid numbers and played or manage on 2 of the most beloved teams in baseball history, 55 Dodgers and 69 Mets. >>

Even Yogi Berra says that Gil Hodges not being in the Hall is ridiculous.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
    The Lee Smith ERA argument is valid except for one thing. Look at the HUGE amount of games that he pitched in Wrigley Field and Fenway Park. We must take that into consideration.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
    DEFINITELY NOT PETE ROSE!

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • was Bagwells name ever mentioned with steroids? I loved watching Bagwell.
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • zendudezendude Posts: 208 ✭✭

Bagwell is the most qualified candidate by far. Larkin and Raines also deserve to get in.
  • I love Bagwell, class act, all around well player and gent.
  • to me, only Jack Morris is deserving....the others are not worthy....
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • i alwats had a soft spot for Mark Grace. Childhood hero
    How long does a manager have to wait? I would assume that Bobby Cox is a stone cold lock.
    By the way, here's what I would like to see with the voters. If you have a player that receives over 90% of the vote and you don't vote for them and this happens more than once, they should take your vote away. I look at people like Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Tony Gwynn, and Stan Musial and wonder who were the complete jerks that didn't vote for these guys? Those voters ought to be ousted.
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Lee Smith ERA argument is valid except for one thing. Look at the HUGE amount of games that he pitched in Wrigley Field and Fenway Park. We must take that into consideration. >>

ERA+ of 132 for Smith which is good but definitely not great for a closer. Among guys with between 1000 & 2000 IP, Smith's ERA+ of 132 is 15th (highest is 204), ranking behind such luminaries as John Hiller and tied with Roberto Hernandez.

Tabe

• << <i>How long does a manager have to wait? I would assume that Bobby Cox is a stone cold lock. >>

The same as everyone else, 5 years. Unless of course they have serous health issues or die (Gehrig, Clemente)

Dave

• << <i>By the way, here's what I would like to see with the voters. If you have a player that receives over 90% of the vote and you don't vote for them and this happens more than once, they should take your vote away. I look at people like Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Tony Gwynn, and Stan Musial and wonder who were the complete jerks that didn't vote for these guys? Those voters ought to be ousted. >>

I find it funny that Tony Gwynn is viewed as a "shoulda been" unanimous HOFer, but Tim Raines gets such little support for the HOF (I know you support Raines PowderedH2O). They are very similar players. Their numbers and careers are nearly identical with a few exceptions. Gwynn singled more and Raines walked more, Gwynn drove in more runs and Raines scored more (due mostly to their positions in the lineup), Raines stole more bases at a better clip, and Gwynn won more awards, etc.

I'd rank Gwynn higher than Raines, but not by a whole lot.
    "WITH GORILLA GONE, WILL THERE BE HOPE FOR MAN?" Daniel Quinn, Ishmael
  • RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭
    Great point, DonnieD. It is very clear that the older voters (and probably some of the younger ones as well) still don't value OBP like they should.
  • jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Been thinkin' about this. Tim "Rock" Raines, 22 years as an active player. He was a really good player, but not sure if his numbers add up. He is about 400 hits short of the magic number, 3,000. His batting average is also pretty darn good, but falls short of the sweet 300, a difficult feat by any measure. His OBP is pretty darn good too, .385 is nice. For some reason he only played more than 155 games in a season twice. I think his 1987 year was his best. Overall, I think he may make it as we get into the steroid retirement years. There may not be enough clean players to make the grade. I would give him a vote, but really I think he just squeaks in at some point.
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>By the way, here's what I would like to see with the voters. If you have a player that receives over 90% of the vote and you don't vote for them and this happens more than once, they should take your vote away. I look at people like Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Tony Gwynn, and Stan Musial and wonder who were the complete jerks that didn't vote for these guys? Those voters ought to be ousted. >>

They're the ones that hold an iron clad belief of never voting for anyone on the first ballot. Yes they do exist.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
    I expect Larkin goes in solo, though if I had a ballot, I'd vote for him and Lee Smith.

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I think Larkin and Lee Smith will just sneak in....he deserves it.
    Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I know there are varying views on the DH, but I believe Edgar Martinez should get in some day. >>

Even as a DH his numbers are not HOF material. Probably could have made it if he played another 4 or 5 years, but 2200 hits and 300homers lifetime for someone who just bats is horrible.
  • bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>I think Larkin and Lee Smith will just sneak in....he deserves it. >>

I kinda feel like Smith is more of an stats accumulator than an true HOF candidate.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    If I had a vote in it I would go with Pete Rose. F Bud Selig.
  • Funny thing is, based on the past, there is a fairly good chance that Bud Selig will be in the Hall of Fame at some point, while Pete Rose is not.