Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

SGC '55 Topps: x-over, crack?

Carry over from an earlier thread where I buried this so deep no one could find it image

While I'm at it, I'd love to hear any opinions you may have RE the cards below. Crack, crossover, or leave 'em be? I've never tried a crossover, and I'm still hesitant to do it, but I did crack an SGC 88 a few months ago and it came back a PSA 7 image

imageimage
imageimage

Thanks.
1955 Topps is done!
working on 1956 Topps in PSA 6-7

Comments

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The centering issues kill all but Jensen, and he's only a 6. I'm guessing these were all submitted to SGC for that reason.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Jensen is the only one that I believe that could be accurately graded. I would not waste any time or money with those cards.

Mickey71
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chad,

I wouldn't try crossovers, however, I've had some success with crackouts. Perhaps you might want to submit as raw when you renew your PSA membership and use the free gradings to lessen the expense. You never know how things go with graders, I once cracked an SGC84 and it came back as a PSA 8. I happened to have recently submitted this card for a half-point review and it came back as an 8.5, pretty sweet, given the fact that I only paid $31 for the card, and of that particular player, there are no 9s or 10s!! image

GL

Al

• Options
    Thanks guys. I know they aren't too pretty, but I will probably crack a few just out of sheer curiosity. The Spooner may be OC but it has some nice looking corners and gloss. A 9 OC would make me very happy! Probably way too much to hope for image

I'll repost when I get the results, putting my '1955 and earlier' CC Special together now.

Thx again
    Chad
    1955 Topps is done!
  • Options
    I cracked the Zauchin and Smith for the hell of it, since I needed them to complete my 55 Topps set anyway. They both came back as 6's, which is not a big surprise to you all I'm sure. They still fit the bill for my set, and I paid PSA 6'ish prices for them anyway, so overall not a bad outcome.

Chad
    1955 Topps is done!
  • Options
    pclpadspclpads Posts: 457 ✭✭
    The print schmack / dirty yellow and centering will keep Spooner from going higher than a 7. SGC is more forgiving on such things than PSA. Looks fine to me in its 86 suit.