Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1982 Wrestling All Stars Jerry Lawler PSA 10 Gem Mint

I just got this in the mail today. The PSA Pop report shows a Pop 3 but one of those crossed to a BGS 9.5 and there are only two left.

This is an upgrade to my set and there are only two cards left in the 1982 Wrestling All Stars Series A I don't have in their top grade.

Comments

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an old thread that I wanted to resurrect.

I got in the mail today a new book that was co authored by the great wrestling manager Jim Cornette. He was a fixture in Memphis wrestling in the 70's and early 80's as a fan, photographer, wrestling magazine writer and went on to start his tremendous career as a manger.

He produced six magazines that were published by the Wrestling News who created the Wrestling All Stars cards.

It turns out that he is the one that took the photo used for the Jerry Lawler card and some of the other stars from the CWA.

I think this is really cool!!!

Here is the book. If you are a fan of old wrestling you will love it!

Rags, Paper, and Pins

One of the interesting pieces of information I have gotten out of this book is that Norman Keitzer was on a super tight budget when producing the Wrestling News for many years and had terrible printing quality. This explains why so many of the cards have so many printing issues and why there were not many produced. I really enjoy finding out new pieces of information that tie into the great story of the Wrestling All Stars.

• Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    I loved wresting growing up as a kid. While i wouldn't consider myself a fanatic I definitely watched a lot and have fond memories. I like seeing your wrestling card posts for this reason.

On a separate note, I definitely understand the joy in uncovering the back story of a piece of your collection.
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options
    I am watching the best of WWE Hall of Fame on the WWE Network and Jerry The King Lawler is featured.

He gave an off the cuff acceptance speech and has me dying laughing.

He was talking about his many divorces and said "Don't ever tell your wife she is lousy in bed because she will go out and get a second opinion"

Words of wisdom from the King!

• Options
    KNAPPKNAPP Posts: 654 ✭✭✭
    the KNAPP collection - specializing in boxing and wrestling
    Always looking to buy or trade for Andre the Giant autographs
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400

• Options
    I can't top that last auto but I think this one turned out great. A friend of mine got this and a few others signed for me recently.

• Options
    Very nice. Are you going to aim to get a signed version of every card in the set?
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very nice. Are you going to aim to get a signed version of every card in the set? >>

I think that is impossible but I do have the 1982 A entirely signed.....36 cards including the Andre the Giant and Bruiser Brody.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    What ones do you think are impossible?
  • Options
    The Grand Wizard for sure and some others are super tough.
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options

<< <i>Very nice. Are you going to aim to get a signed version of every card in the set? >>

Like Rob said that is really not an easy task and in reality most likely impossible. I like collecting the guys who are still alive at the moment as they are really not very expensive at shows.

I have a few tough one's. Buddy Rogers and The Chrusher who are dead.

There are a handful of people who have needed raw cards so I have made some nice trades to further my collection.

• Options
    Cool. A good way to continue working on the set, even after upgrades to the PSA Registry set aren't really possible.
  • Options

<< <i>Cool. A good way to continue working on the set, even after upgrades to the PSA Registry set aren't really possible. >>

I have upgraded four cards in grade and two more in quality in the past two years or so. The chase never ends but in reality it has slowed dramatically.

The auto's are a great side project. It is my favorite set so anything that deals with it I like.

• Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    What's the best way to figure out a wrestler's first card, or I guess you would call it a RC. Seems like there are a lot of uncommon cards out there that some people count and others don't.
  • Options

<< <i>What's the best way to figure out a wrestler's first card, or I guess you would call it a RC. Seems like there are a lot of uncommon cards out there that some people count and others don't. >>

I have found Wrestling Trading Cards to be extremely helpful.

The issue with rookie cards in the wrestling card market is the distribution in which cards came to market. If you want to consider magazine cut outs that were indeed labeled as trading cards in the magazines cards, then many are found in the 1973, 1978, and 1981 magazine sets. The other issue is companies like Beckett do not classify sets with limited distribution like the Wrestling All Stars as rookie cards either.

Beckett article

My personal approach is I buy the cards I like the most. I grew up collecting hard stock cards and so for me this is what I like. Others see it differently. Personally I don't think you will ever see a high grade 1981 Hulk Hogan magazine card sell for what a high grade 1982 Wrestling All Stars will but it is great that there are other options and more material for people to collect. It has been said many times on here before that wrestling cards are still in the discovery phase. There have been several Hulk Hogan cards from Japan surface that none of us knew existed a year or so ago. This is one of the things that has made collecting wrestling cards exciting.

There are cards like the OPC Randy Savage that are clear as day as their first trading card and so there are many where no debate can take place.

• Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    Thanks again for the help.
  • Options
    I just got this in the mail yesterday.

When I spoke with Jim Cornette on the phone he said they took this photo early in the day before the King was set to face Hulk Hogan.

I believe this was the match that night.

Lawler vs. Hogan
  • Options

<< <i>I just got this in the mail yesterday.

When I spoke with Jim Cornette on the phone he said they took this photo early in the day before the King was set to face Hulk Hogan.

I believe this was the match that night.

Lawler vs. Hogan >>

Did you buy that directly from Jim?
  • Options
    No but I know he has been known to sell them.

He put this magazine together and Norman Keitzer produced them. They did six in total.

Apparently there were around 3,000 of each made.
  • Options

<< <i>No but I know he has been known to sell them.

He put this magazine together and Norman Keitzer produced them. They did six in total.

Apparently there were around 3,000 of each made. >>

He has an amazing collection, and I know he's been selling off bits and pieces over the years. The guy was obviously a big star, but he was always a huge fan and collector before and during is career.
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Being in the Memphis television viewing area I have watched Jerry for many years. I've met him a few times as well. The note he wrote to one fan above reminded me that my mom was good friends with Eddie Gilberts mom. I remember going to their house when I was a kid and play wrestling with Eddie and Doug. At that time their dad, Tommy, was a great wrestler in the area.

• Options

The Jerry Lawler card in the past few months has caught fire. Even a total beater like this is near $50. I am so thankful that I was able to purchase the card in the original post as the seller held it back for a while and wouldn't sell it with the original package of card I purchased from him. I paid $250 which was a strong price at the time. There has been no change in the PSA 10 population.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/362344872722?_trksid=p2471758.m4704

• Options
    kingnascarkingnascar Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

Wonder if now is the time to sell?

• Options

@kingnascar said:

It's time!!!!!!!!!!

• Options

@wrestlingcardking said:

@kingnascar said:

It's time!!!!!!!!!!

In the voice of Bruce Buffer. LOL

Logan if you do sell your copy I think you should run it through a major consignor at $0.99 and let it fly.