Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

BBCExchange Blog Update - Steve's truck broken into! (see latest post)

(thread bumpage, see latest post)

In case you missed it, Steve updated his BLOG today, interesting read!

Hello! It's been a long time since I wrote anything new on the Blog here at BBCE. I'm going to try to update it more often (whenever I can find a free minute or two!) You can also follow Reed's blog on facebook under Baseball Card Exchange. Reed updates his blog there much more often than I do. His blogs usually come from all the road trips he does for us buying inventory. I'll do my best to try to keep things updated here on new products, new interesting things and just basically whatever comes to mind.

First of all, I was out in California last week working for PSA. As most of you know, I do all the authenticating for PSA on unopened material. They had a TON of stuff out there for me to do and needed it done by the end of the 3rd quarter. Just let me say be very, very careful out there buying pre-1975 unopened material. I looked at quite a bit of it at PSA's headquarters and I would guess that 80-90% of it was re-sealed. It seems that eBay is the place most of this re-sealed stuff ends up at. Do your homework on this stuff before you make the leap on eBay. I also saw a large number of 1986/87 Fleer basketball packs that were resealed (or completely homemade!). People often ask me why my 86/87 Fleer basketball packs are $350.00 on my website when you can pick them up on eBay for $100-$200 per pack. Well, that is exactly the reason. BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!

Since the National Convention in early August, I think Reed has been on the road about 75% of the time! He mentioned to me that he slept in his own bed 6 nights in August alone. That is the main reason I hired him last year. I just simply cannot be out of the office that much. Plus with a 6 year old daughter at home, I need to be in my own house as much as I can. Reed has been all over the country buying all kinds of stuff. It has been keeping Rick, Mike, Andrew and myself busy all the time here at the office. We have been so busy since the convention that I have been here all day on weekends too! It seems we just can't keep up with all the business we do!

We added a bunch of new 1994-1999 unopened baseball products today and will add the same stuff in football over the next few days. Our inventory of 2000-2009 stuff has never been this full! There are tons of new baseball products from this era and mostly are high end! Coming in the next few weeks will a collection of unopened football wax boxes from 1968 through 1986. This collection is only missing a few years and will be sold on our website by the box individually. I will be picking these boxes up myself the week of October 17th on the West Coast. We also bought a collection of early 1980's baseball unopened cases that will be available later this month. If you have any specific needs please e-mail me and I can always have them drop shipped from the East Coast. This is where the cases are stored until I can get out there to pick them up. Thanks for listening! Steve

Comments

• Options
    Good read! FB wax boxes from '68-'86...WOW!
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I foresee a hellova group rip at the beginning of November... image
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The pre-1970 stuff seems to be really drying up now. You don't see it coming to market like it was 10-15 years ago.
  • Options
    nendeenendee Posts: 551 ✭✭✭
    Does he get great deals when he buys from people like this? Why don't they just eBay it and maximize profit? Or is it such large bulk buys ( tens of thousands) - that he's getting a volume discount. It seems if you have a 68 wax box of football, you know what you got and what it's worth.
    Cubs and Purdue Fan - Ouch!

My collecting blog: http://ctcard.wordpress.com
  • Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Does he get great deals when he buys from people like this? Why don't they just eBay it and maximize profit? Or is it such large bulk buys ( tens of thousands) - that he's getting a volume discount. It seems if you have a 68 wax box of football, you know what you got and what it's worth. >>

No ebay headache, cash in hand, no worries about returns, etc. I would be very hesitent to sell vintage wax on ebay because of the whole authenticating issues. Steve authenticates, pays cash and he deals with any potential headaches. Seems like good business to me.
    Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options
    If you like the site and wish it to continue might I suggest to highlight the article and post a link. It hurts the readers and if a good blog the poster by posting the entire thread. Why should i visit their site if I can read the entire thing here?

list some highlights and post a link. This will give credit where its due, but more importantly eliminate any copyright infringement that this thread may fall under.

Thanks,
    I am working on the Nolan Ryan master set. Need 1004 more cards to complete. I might actually spend more on plastic than I did on cardboard.
  • Options
    Just trying to save people some time I guess. It's not like 90% of us visit their site every day anyway. Sorry.
  • Options

<< <i>If you like the site and wish it to continue might I suggest to highlight the article and post a link. It hurts the readers and if a good blog the poster by posting the entire thread. Why should i visit their site if I can read the entire thing here?

list some highlights and post a link. This will give credit where its due, but more importantly eliminate any copyright infringement that this thread may fall under.

Thanks, >>

You visit their site to purchase cards. The OP making the blog entry available for all to read without clicking a link may have given interest to a potential customer who may not have bothered to click a link to another site.
  • Options
    Don't bother, I think we're dealing with a bit of a fire starter.
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    +1
  • Options

<< <i>If you like the site and wish it to continue might I suggest to highlight the article and post a link. It hurts the readers and if a good blog the poster by posting the entire thread. Why should i visit their site if I can read the entire thing here?

Thanks, >>

Look out, we got the "internet police" on our hands. To be honest, I would have never even looked at that blog had it not been posted here.

I highly doubt Steve posts a blog on his site for the "web hits", but I could be mistaken.
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the post. BTW, have you gotten your packs yet??? image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    thanks for linking, damn i mean posting... image

peace
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the post. BTW, have you gotten your packs yet??? image >>

You will be the second person to know when I do! image
  • Options
    dmurphy3mvpdmurphy3mvp Posts: 264 ✭✭✭
    I'm home for about 10 days, but then it starts up again. Will be traveling the south from 10/17-30, sort of on this route:

Tampa area
    southern Geogria
    Atlanta area
    all over Tennessee
    all over Kentucky
    Columbus, OH
    back to BBCE offices in IL

Also, I'll be picking up deals in NJ, PA, and WV from 11/7-14 and also taking it back to the offices.

If you have something to sell and want me to stop by, call or email me ASAP so we can schedule an appointment.

Reed Kasaoka
    Buyer, Baseball Card Exchange

cell: (808) 372-1974
    email: ReedBBCE@gmail.com
    eBay stores: bbcexchange, bbcexchange2, bbcexchange3, bbcexchange4

• Options

<< <i>I'm home for about 10 days, but then it starts up again. Will be traveling the south from 10/17-30, sort of on this route:

Tampa area
    southern Geogria
    Atlanta area
    all over Tennessee
    all over Kentucky
    Columbus, OH
    back to BBCE offices in IL

Also, I'll be picking up deals in NJ, PA, and WV from 11/7-14 and also taking it back to the offices.

If you have something to sell and want me to stop by, call or email me ASAP so we can schedule an appointment. >>

Any 1980-1987 Topps football rack cases in any of those acquisitions, by any chance (fingers crossed)?
  • Options
    dmurphy3mvpdmurphy3mvp Posts: 264 ✭✭✭
    Not that I know of. I bought several 1982 Topps Football Rack cases and a 1987 Topps Football Rack case back in late August/early September. I think they are all gone.

This next trip is turning out to be mainly vintage. I have 12-14 appointments scheduled so far, and even if I bought everything single deal (which is extremely unlikely), I won't need more than a 16 foot box truck. Even the early November trip doesn't have a lot of unopened, but it may have two store inventories with little wax but a ton of autographed material (cards, index cards, baseballs, bats, photos, etc.) I still have over 10,000 signed baseball cards from the 1950s-90s that I need to sort through during my "off" time!

Reed Kasaoka
    Buyer, Baseball Card Exchange

cell: (808) 372-1974
    email: ReedBBCE@gmail.com
    eBay stores: bbcexchange, bbcexchange2, bbcexchange3, bbcexchange4

• Options
    I think this should become the Official BBCE update/blog thread.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting the blog item. I have been very busy today at work and just took a break and this thread reminded me to call Steve to pay for a couple items I had ordered.

Appreciate this post a lot!!!

aconte
  • Options

<< <i>Not that I know of. I bought several 1982 Topps Football Rack cases and a 1987 Topps Football Rack case back in late August/early September. I think they are all gone.

This next trip is turning out to be mainly vintage. I have 12-14 appointments scheduled so far, and even if I bought everything single deal (which is extremely unlikely), I won't need more than a 16 foot box truck. Even the early November trip doesn't have a lot of unopened, but it may have two store inventories with little wax but a ton of autographed material (cards, index cards, baseballs, bats, photos, etc.) I still have over 10,000 signed baseball cards from the 1950s-90s that I need to sort through during my "off" time! >>

Yeah, I seen those 87 rack cases....someone had a quick trigger, and snatched them up before I could blink an eye. I will be watching though, day and night, forever.image
  • Options
    Steve is selling some 1989 Upper Deck Low Number Boxes on the cheap! $49.00 per box!

We are running a new special today. I just bought several 1989 Upper Deck Lo number baseball foil cases today from a grocery store owner. All the cases were still factory sealed, except for 1 case. This case was cut open and had all 20 boxes (720 packs total) affixed with a price tag. We dont sell boxes with price tags on them. So we are going to sell these boxes for $49.00 each!!! These boxes are fresh and unsearched, but just have a price tag on each pack. This is cheap for anyone who wants to open these packs. Also cheap for anyone who wants to resell them by the pack. Thanks! Steve
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    WOW, do we get 10% off that price as well?
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>We dont sell boxes with price tags on them. So we are going to sell these boxes for $49.00 each!!! >>

You say you don't sell them, but you're selling them. Heheh.
  • Options
    Pretty interesting story in yesterday's BBCE Blog!! Wow!!

A Bad Luck/Good Luck Story For You To Read!

I was in Philadelphia earlier this week buying a few small deals. I met a customer at an Outback Steakhouse to buy an unopened wax box. When we got through eating we went outside and I was going to start my drive back home. Suddenly, the customer I was with noted that I left my back window down in my Ford Explorer. I looked to see and noticed glass shattered all over the ground and all around the window. Holy Crap! Someone shattered the back window out while we were eating! My stomach dropped as I was worried what was stolen. It appeared the thieves got my luggage and my briefcase. However, my briefcase was sitting on top of a factory sealed 1977 Topps baseball wax case that I had picked up earlier in the day. So I guess the thieves opted for my dirty underwear and all my IRS paperwork that I had in my briefcase as that was what I brought along to work on. Good thing they left behind the 1977 Topps wax case and all the other cases I had just picked up! Back luck and good luck all in one single break in!
  • Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    "Grab the briefcase, there's probably a lot of dough!"

"What's the box underneath?"

"Baseball cards, ugh. No one wants that **** anymore."
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • Options
    1977 TOPPS SEALED WAX CASE!!!!!

GROUP BREAK!!!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1977 TOPPS SEALED WAX CASE!!!!!

GROUP BREAK!!! >>

Haha. I was thinking this same thing when I read the blog yesterday.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    Group break for sure on those boxes!! image
    Miconelegacy Auctions
  • Options
    I'm in on a group break...oh sorry about the window and briefcase...
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear they left the important stuff behind and no one was hurt!

I'm up for a group rip on the 77s...Steve also has a box of 78s, too!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I'm up for a group rip on the 77s...Steve also has a box of 78s, too! >>

In for this.
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options
    tmgrnzx9rtmgrnzx9r Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
    Its been awhile since the last group break....
    We need something!!!!!
  • Options
    Agreed! Looking forward to those 77 packs.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Wow, Steve lucked out for sure. Getting that ppwk snatched really sucks, but the cases not being touched is....lucky!
  • Options
    Did you get the Bloomin Onion as an appetizer??
  • Options
    1979 Rack Case!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Is there enough interest to start the new year out with a group rip?? If so, Mike, do you want to resume your role as coordinator? A 79 rack case would be great for a group rip, as the per rack cost is not prohibitive for most if not all unopened collectors.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Yes that would get me back in the game. I will talk with Steve. Are you guys wanting to break the case and buy boxes? I'd be in for 1 of each.

Anything else that is of interest?
    Miconelegacy Auctions
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    I'd be interested in a 79 rack box.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Are you going to offer them as individual packs at first so more people can get involved?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    +1 for packs
  • Options
    I think we need to break the 79 racks into lots of maybe 4 per person at first to involve more people.

Edit to add: If we decide to sell of full boxes, instead, I will take 1.

• Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    I'd probably be in for a box or 2 of each.
  • Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    If you all decide to break this up into packs, count me in for a rack for my unopened collection.
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be in for a few 79 rack packs, its high time somebody pulled a PSA 10 Stargell.

• Options
    I've emailed Steve on the cases, need prices. If there is enough interest going the box route will be easiest. If there are some left over maybe we'll do packs. As far as boxes go I think on the 77 case 2 max first 48 hours, and I like the idea of maybe just the racks on the 79's. 4 each I think is fair for the first 48 hours. Hope we have enough interest on the 77's, but I'll take two.

Just waiting on an email, get Steve to knock em off the site, and we can get a thread going tomorrow night around 8:30/9 pm eastern.

This will be a nice little start to the year. image
    Miconelegacy Auctions
  • Options
    Sounds good, Mike! This will be a nice start to kick off the 2012 unopened season. Maybe we can include the 78 Topps baseball wax box he has up for sale as well?

• Options
    O-Pee-Chee Baseball wax of some kind please image
  • Options
    tmgrnzx9rtmgrnzx9r Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
    Packs would be nice for us poor folks!!
  • Options
    I'd be in for a couple packs of the '77, '78, and '79 Racks if we do this.