Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Clayton Kershaw's RC?

Now that he is a favorite for the cy young. What is his best RC ?

I would be refering to the one that is acceptable to the psa registry. He has a 2005 usa card but that is from a boxed set.

several 2006 and 2007 cards

I am not into newer cards but would like to get his.
Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
1948-76 Topps FB Sets
FB & BB HOF Player sets
1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets

Comments

• Options
    2006 Bowman Chrome Draft Auto is widely accepted as his "best" rookie card

There is the Base version (unnumbered), Refractor(/500), XFractor(/250), Blue Refractor(/150), Gold Refractor(/50), Red Refractor(/5) and Superfractor (1/1)
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for info
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    CopperJJCopperJJ Posts: 587 ✭✭✭
    I like the 2006 Bowman Heritage

But I agree the Bowman Chrome.
    Clayton Kershaw - master set
    Signed Sets:
    2011 Topps Heritage BB
    1960s & 1970s Topps decade Cincinnati Reds
    2006-2016 A&G HOFers
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>I would be refering to the one that is acceptable to the psa registry >>

The Cy Young Award registry is one of the few "wild card" sets, where you can use any card for the player to satisfy the set requirement.

2006 Bowman Chrome AU is probably his most valuable. Personally, I prefer the pop that "refractor" cards have over the base chrome cards. They look nicer in hand and in scans as well.

I kinda like the 2005 USA auto/jersey card though. I haven't really made up my mind about how to view these cards, but I have some in my collection (e.g. 2002 SP Authentic USA Future Watch Dustin Pedroia, 2003 Finite Stars & Stripes Justin Verlander).
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    Does he have a non auto/jersey 2005 USA card?
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    yes he does.
    I do not know enough about newer cards but I think its from a boxed set.
    Its from the junior national team.
    here is an ebay item # for one.

2005 card link

These cannot be rare as sellers are offering lots of 50
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    SPAM

I have an 08 Allen Ginter mini (no number) on Ebay. Might go cheap as the "No Number" isn't listed in the title. Only 50 made!

2008 Allen Ginter Clayton Kershaw mini no number PSA 10
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options

<< <i>These cannot be rare as sellers are offering lots of 50 >>

It's got a stated print-run of 10,000, so no, it's not rare.

His auto/jersey cards were random inserts in the boxed sets. Do you prefer to avoid cards from boxed sets?

• Options
    My collecting theme is hofers or guys I like(d). pre 75 fb sets (just started doing them) and yankees 1948+

Not newer cards. But if there is a new card I want it to be the one that can be on the psa registry. Somewhere I had thought that boxed cards do not qualify.

Normally I want it to be a true rc.

I just bought a bow chrome justin verlander rc as he is the real deal. We shall have a number of years for a wait for that. a number of years back I bought roy halladay best rc

but the one that ended up on the registry. He will probably be #2 in the cy voting this year. He needs some wins added up but well on his way to the hof.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

<< <i>Somewhere I had thought that boxed cards do not qualify. >>

There's no prohibition against boxed cards to my knowledge. In the baseball HoF set, the 1984 Fleer Update Kirby Puckett and the 1988 Score Rookie/Traded Roberto Alomar were only released in "boxed" sets.

However, PSA bows to Beckett's definition of "rookie card", and for 2006 and later cards, Beckett will only call a card a "rookie card" if it has the rookie logo on ity. PSA has the added restriction that no autographed cards will be allowed.

That was one of the reasons why I quit participating in the Rookie of the Year registry set. PSA's restrictions were cramping my style when they said that the only card I could use for Dustin Pedroia's entry in the set was a card from 2006, while he had a 2002 SP Authentic USA Future Watch card, not to mention a number of 2004 cards with autos.

So, if you're collecting strictly by Registry standards, you'd need to look to 2008 and find a non-auto'ed card. Even then, PSA will have participants vote on which of his non-auto'ed 2008 cards would be permissible.

Anyways, the Cy Young Award and MVP registries are, as I said, wild-card sets, so you can use any card you want. Honestly, I think they should do that with most of the modern players. Otherwise, PSA's manipulating the card market and creating demand for cards that collectors otherwise wouldn't necessarily want.

• Options
    I agree 100%
    It used to be easy. The most valuable card was chosen. Now that's out the window.

2002 sp auth is not a rc? no kiddin.

I am not familiar with cards having a rookie logo. and that being a beckett rc criteria????
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

<< <i>I am not familiar with cards having a rookie logo. and that being a beckett rc criteria???? >>

In 2006, MLB decided that it needed to interfere with the card market, and imposed a rule on the card manufacturers that only players who have been in the majors can have "rookie cards", and even then, the only cards that can be called "rookie cards" are ones that have the official "MLB rookie card" logo on them. Further, card companies could no longer include cards of players who had not yet made an MLB debut in their main sets.

So, in 2006, card companies began to print "rookie cards" of players who had already made their MLB debut, and stamped them with the official "MLB rookie card" logo. In order to keep printing cards of minor league players and prospects, the Bowman brand split the set in half and created a separate "insert" set for minor leaguers and prospects.

According to Beckett rules, a "rookie card" cannot come from an insert set, and pairing that with adherence to the MLB rule, Beckett will (from 2006 and newer cards) only call a rookie card, that which has the "rookie card" logo on it.

Anyways, PSA relies on the Beckett Rookie Card Guide as the sole authority to determine what constitutes a "rookie card."

• Options
    Love Clayton! Both he and Matt Kemp were kind enough to sign a stack of cards for me two years ago.
    There are two types of people in this world; those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don't. My ex-wife loves him!!
  • Options
    That clears it up. Thanks for the info. I didn't know all that.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    CopperJJCopperJJ Posts: 587 ✭✭✭
    Really wish Clayton has a registered set available. I got these personally when Clayton was playing AA in Jacksonville.

I got these back from my September PSA/DNA special.

imageimage

Clayton Kershaw - master set
    Signed Sets:
    2011 Topps Heritage BB
    1960s & 1970s Topps decade Cincinnati Reds
    2006-2016 A&G HOFers