Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1958 Proof Set=melt bucket? 2000 ASE Collectors+this?? - Pictures

Going through a box of stuff I found in a junk drawer I found this 1985 proof set in a capital plastic holder. Hazed to Helena on all coins (dip could remove) and a huge, growing carbon spot growing behind Lincolns head ( Dip wouldn't remove and I don't and won't dip copper to pink). What to do? Dip and leave the cent, put back in holder and put it with the few earlier proof sets left (1955-prior) or toss the silver in the 90% bag I am building and spend the cent? What would you do?

Find #2 was 4 of these 1/2 sets of millennium sets I think. The bills were cut off for some reason and I won 4 sets from Russ (yep, our Russ) many years ago for like $14-$17 each. Since they are in the original packaging these are the W coins although no MM on coin and the Sac is the Burnished 2000-D ( all 4 seem to be MS-66/67) and 3 of the 4 eagles are milk spotted, this one is not though, yet. Now several questions are the Burnished Sacs worth getting grading, I am thinking NO. Are the ASE's required for the registry set as a separate UNC 2000 coin (so will PCGS label them as such and are they in demand?) I cut 3 of the 4 ASE's out and put them in a roll with several other 95's and 96's, like the dates matter now! Should I do anything with the ASE left or any of the 4 SAC's as I just cut the ASE out with a knife to leave the packaging be. Here is the best of the group, the eagle may 69, probably 68.

As always thank for the responses guys and gals.

Comments

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PM me your address I have a 1958 Lincoln I'll send your way...no charge.
  • Options
    Is it worth keeping and taking modCrew up on his offer?
  • Options
    ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    how do the sacs look?
    if you don't want them let me know.
    as for the eagles, if they don't grade 69 or up
    and do not have the burnished label I think they are just melt..jmo

figglehorn
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it worth keeping and taking modCrew up on his offer?

anytime you can get something from Don for free you should take him up on it!!!image swap out the Cent and keep the set till Silver goes back over $40.
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
    I need a '58 Franklin for my birthyear set, too! Thanks for the giveaway!!image

- - Daveimage
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm feeling the love Al! Just for that...I'll send a lil something your way too.

I think overall it's a nice looking set apart from the cent's issues. My B&M would pay me $20-25 for the set, they consistently bring in the $35 range on Ebay and the dime does look to have a little frost.
  • Options
    Thanks, my question still remails though,

On the ASE, is it needed for the registry set and does PCGS have a separate coin number for it?
  • Options
    decision made, nickel and cent were spent on the 6 pack of Tecate I just bought, the ASE was put in a roll with other various unc dates and the .85 cents left was dumped in the $1000 face bag. I appreciate the offer ModCrewman, the set just wasn't nice enough to keep together.

TN

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file