Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Got a fantastic deal on a key Canadian Commem. but feel a little guilty...

RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
Yes, I know that this is the U.S. coin forum, but this situation could well apply to a U.S. issue....

I buy and sell Canadian and Pert coins as well as U.S.

I did and Ebay search for a key Canadian commem. I noticed that one was listed in an unusual way (poor choice of key words in the title) and was only at $127 with a few minutes to go. The usual price is about $400. I won it for $233.

I feel a bit bad for the seller as he would have likely realized $350-400 had he listed it with more commonly used key words than those with he used.

Have you ever bought very cheaply on Ebay due to a poorly worded or incorrectly spelled Ebay listing? If so, did you feel a bit guilty for taking advantage of the seller's error?
Land of the Free because of the Brave!

Comments

• Options
    Ill assume your not kidding ? For me and im sure im not alone that's what ebay is all about , the "buyer beware" thing works both ways , its a sellers business to know what he is selling , not my business to educate them.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've done plenty of things in life to feel guilty about. This would probably not be one of them.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Have you ever bought very cheaply on Ebay due to a poorly worded or incorrectly spelled Ebay listing? >>

Let's just say I've made a few good buys.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Without you bidding on it, it would have sold for less--------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A man without vices is a man without virtues. Abraham Lincoln >>

• Options
    CoinCoinsCoinCoins Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

<< <i>its a sellers business to know what he is selling , not my business to educate them. >>

precisely

your education has paid off

which commem was it? teach us something ;P
  • Options
    It was a 2007 Crystal Snow Flake, iridescent crystals.

The Crystal Snow Flake series is a very popular Canadian series. It started in 2007 w/two Pedifort Crystal Snow Flake Silver Proofs - blue and iridescent.

Much of the mintage apparently didn't sell leaving less than 2k coins. They usually trade for $370 - $475 or so. The auction that I won did not have the word "Crystal" in the title, only Snow Flake. Most use crystal in the search. So, I got it at a very good price.

The issue price was just under $100.

Some of the Canadian and Perth stuff can be very profitable. Just look at the Perth Year of the Dragon Lunar Series II. The three coin set which was about $400 from Perth in early Sept. is selling for $1600 - $1800 on FeeBay right now.

The one oz proof, which sold for just ove $100 in early Sept. are bringing about $400, down from $500+ last week.

The Australia Deadly and Dangerous Red Back Spider - a $50 coin just a few years ago - trades for a grand or so raw.

The first of the Canadian Dinosaur series (VERY cool coins) of 2007 - the Parasaurolopous (spelling???) did very well also. Issue about $50, brings about $250 now, down a bit from last year.

There a some real winners, but a LOT of non-winners. Due diligence is called for just as with U.S. moderns.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got a nice raw 1892-cc in AU53 from a Canadian seller that listed it under Canadian dollars and
    also listed it as an 1882p in the title. Heavily toned so that the date was hard to read. After I
    won the coin I got a note from the seller that said he'd shipped the coin and that he realized his
    mistake(s) only after the auction had ended. I offered to send the coin back as it was an honest
    mistake but he declined and said to keep it. I did!
    Oh, I did think it was an 1882cc. The cc was plain to see, but the date was suspect until I had it
    in hand. Paid like $50.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

<< <i>Without you bidding on it, it would have sold for less--------BigE >>

There is that. Very true.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights