Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

How do I tell if my 1974 Canada Dollar is the silver or not?

No copper edge on the side, but I think they were all nickel anyways, the non silver ones that is. Here is a pic, silver or not? If so what percent?

Comments

• Options
    Howdy Tex , don't see you here often enough , the nickel issue is 32mm width and the silver is 36mm.image
  • Options
    Oh..0.5000 if its silver
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    Easiest way to check is with a magnet. Magnetic means it's nickel, non-magnetic means it's the 50% silver version.

If you still have the original case of issue, the nickel coins came with blue cases, while the silver ones came with black cases.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    Magnetic she is, into the nickel recycle bin she goes or is it still spendable as a $1 in Canada? So that would make it worth .95 cents. Heck I was gonna melt down all the nickel Canadian .05 coins as I am into them at 3.5 cents each and have a ton. They are the pre-steel issues too. I pulled the 53 NSF or SF (which ever the rare one is) and is going to ANACs in the next submission, was told in AU-58 it was worth $1000 USD+. That deal paid off well.
  • Options
    <<Magnetic she is, into the nickel recycle bin she goes or is it still spendable as a $1 in Canada? So that would make it worth .95 cents. Heck I was gonna melt down all the nickel Canadian .05 coins as I am into them at 3.5 cents each and have a ton. They are the pre-steel issues too. I pulled the 53 NSF or SF (which ever the rare one is) and is going to ANACs in the next submission, was told in AU-58 it was worth $1000 USD+. That deal paid off well>>

There was a time when the nickel dimes and quarters were worth more than face.
  • Options

<< <i>I pulled the 53 NSF or SF (which ever the rare one is)... >>

They're both rare (or neither), depending on the location of the maple leaf with relation to the rim.
  • Options
    it is the close maple leaf rare one.
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>it is the close maple leaf rare one. >>

Nice find. Unfortunate scratch, but that's about par for the course with Canadian nickels, I'm afraid.