Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How high a grade can you get with a rough cut edge ?

Does it matter the year, how much does it bring the grade down if it does?

Comments

• Options
    NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭
    This just got a PSA 9.

Nikklos
  • Options
    mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭

------
    stupid print dots

• Options
    That Murphy looks horrible. I've never been able to figure out how PSA can give cards with rough sides high grades.

Sorry people, I've stated a few times before I don't like them. They still look like 1's to me.

Dave

PS If the borders don't affect the grade, why do print defects get a Qualifier on the Label? PSA should add the RC Qualifier.
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    I agree. The standard should be the same for every set. Just because topps used butter knives to cut opc cards is no reason to lower the standard for that brand.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not a fan of the rough cut either, but I am dumbfounded that any card can get a "10" with a cut like the 75 Kaline shown. Not every OPC card had a rough cut, so by my way of thinking one could never get anything higher than"9.5".............oh yeah, I mean "9".

Wrong again Joe!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    I've gotten several 10's on early 70's OPC's.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Back in the day a card with that cut IMO could only be a NM card.

It's no different than a card with print dots, OC, OF etc.

PSA decided to not downgrade a card with a ruff cut as is their prerogative.

Good for you.
  • Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    At least you know its not trimmed.......
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The vast majority of 70s OPC cards came right out of the pack with the rough cut and personally I'd prefer a rough cut over a smooth cut any day unless I pulled it myself as most gem mint smooth cut cards are sheet cut and in holders from the company across the street. It's a thing of beauty to me. I've gotten a PSA 10 on many rough cut cards and those cards are still gem in every way.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I disagree strongly with the assertion that there should br some kind of blanket standard criteria for grading cards of all issues. Different issues were produced and manufactured with different methods and it is an oversimplification to say there should be one standard for all sets. It's the grader's and collector's responsibility to learn and understand the nuances and characteristics of a particular set. That's why PSA has certain graders for 1950s cards and certain graders for modern cards. It's not realistic or practical to apply the same standards to those sets.

Edit to add: It's also a myth that not downgrading for a factory rough cut somehow makes it easier to obtain Gem Mint 10s. I've opened a ton of 70s OPC and Topps packs and submitted a couple thousand of cards to PSA for grading and getting 10s on smooth cut cards is still BY FAR easier than getting a PSA 10 OPC issue.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.