Home U.S. Coin Forum

a score or did they overpay?

stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
check out this 1855 type 2. that sold for $836 and some change. i bid on it thinking it could be AU, which is about $755 to $800 retail, and a fairly common coin for this date. however, i was outbid and it goes for $836, raw.

did someone score? or did they get just get bid up to full retail on this coin? what do you think? ms60 is $1,700 and ms63 $8,950 and it goes up higher from there, as this is a rare coin in ms.

fess up...who got it, if you're out there. ;-)

Comments

• Die clash especially noticeable on reverse but not so much on the obverse.
    Not my series, so I can't be sure if a score or not.
  • ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I predict the board will say with that seller, they overpaid. image
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there are numerous sellers on ebay that easily bring 5-20% or more than sellers like myself just because who they are and the traffic they get

it is a nice piece with major obv/rev die clashing

if i were a collector (to keep 20 years+) and i liked coins in this range for under $1k, i would feel comfortable with this piece

the $1 series has some VERY low est. survival numbers

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭
    Not a score in my opinion.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge
  • PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    You should be glad that you didn't win that gold coin.

The seller sells a lot of "problem coins" that are raw. If it was nice like you think it would have been in plastic.
    "It is what it is."
  • morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You should be glad that you didn't win that gold coin.

The seller sells a lot of "problem coins" that are raw. If it was nice like you think it would have been in plastic. >>

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no deal on the price there, to bad image
  • stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>You should be glad that you didn't win that gold coin.

The seller sells a lot of "problem coins" that are raw. If it was nice like you think it would have been in plastic. >>

image >>

i was in at $451. i figured that if i got it for that price it would be worth the risk. otherwise i was out. i didn't expect it to go for $836! i would have to think it would be a 61 before i would even think of paying that much.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file