Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Will Eugenio Velez cards ever be worth anything?

Comments

• Options
    I'd go 0-47 if I got his wage for sitting on a bench.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    guaranteed non-juicer.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow that is awful!

I can't imagine the coach keeps putting him in to hit. At some point you just have to lose faith and say no more.

This is the perfect guy to have some crazy short print error card that sells for huge money.
  • Options
    kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    I suppose fate made me keep this card after he was let go by the Giants.

IWTDMBII
  • Options
    54topps54topps Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭
    Wow that sucks. I cant say I would do any better but I definately could not do any worse.
  • Options
    Look at his signature
    EV
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    So you're saying this wasn't a good pull?

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    A couple weeks ago I posted to a Dodger blog comment thread:

Juan Castro could outhit Eugenio Velez. Ted Lilly could outhit Eugenio Velez. Maury Wills could outhit Eugenio Velez, and he's turning 79 shortly.

For those who don't know, Juan Castro is the prototypical "good field, no hit" middle infielder (retired from the Dodgers during 2011), who managed a 17-year career of being a near Mendoza-line hitter (career .229 hitter with .268 OBP and .327 SLG). Ted Lilly is a very poor hitting starting pitcher for the Dodgers (career average .104 in 327 at bats).

Ned Colletti grossly overvalues ex-Giants on a regular basis. In addition to Velez, he signed Juan Uribe to a 3-year, $21 million deal last winter (Uribe hit /.204/.264/.293 last year, and Dodger fans cheered when he had a season-ending injury) and several years back gave Jason Schmidt 3 years and $47 million after Schmidt had been found to have shoulder problems in a physical. As a Dodger, Schmidt went 3-6 combined during the 2 seasons he made it on the field (he missed another entirely with injury) with an ERA about 6 in 43 1/3 innings total.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    in regards to the topic at hand, I'll quote my good friend, Joe:

"way to go, Gene!"

edit: I had to quote something from the linked article: If you're not Giants or Dodgers fan, you might not have heard of him until just now, but he's amazing. He's fast, but he can't run the bases. He certainly can't bunt. You might think Steve Carlton holds the all-time record for pickoffs with 144. You'd be wrong. Velez has about 167 (rough estimate). He can't play second base or the outfield, which makes him like a Jack Cust, but one who is routinely stuck at second base, or in the outfield. When Velez plays baseball, Hunter Pence stops to say, "My word, that Velez fellow is gangly and awkward."

way to go, Ay-you-hay-nee-oh
  • Options
    NO
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Ironically, some of his cards have experienced a small price bump due to his dubious place in history.

My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    pclpadspclpads Posts: 457 ✭✭
    Gawd, how I hope the Dodjahs release him. With his lack of abilities, he'd be a perfect fit for the inept, bottom-feeding, San Diego Pedros. To save $$$, when he's not in the starting line-up, the cash poor Pedros could use him on the grounds crew, or in the stands hawking fish tacos.
  • Options
    If "Agent Ned" keeps doing stuff like this, he'll blow his cover!

• Options
    ok, its official, Probstein123 will no longer accept any Eugenio Velez cards for consignments....
    I'm done with him !!
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Dump on him all you want, I would trade almost anything to experience Eugenio Velez's cup o' coffee in the majors, dubious as it may be.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options

<< <i>Dump on him all you want, I would trade almost anything to experience Eugenio Velez's cup o' coffee in the majors, dubious as it may be. >>

Compared to the other 24 guys in the dugout, Velez sucks a$$.

Compared to the other 36k or so fans at any given Dodgers game game, Velez kicks a$$.

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Dump on him all you want, I would trade almost anything to experience Eugenio Velez's cup o' coffee in the majors, dubious as it may be. >>

Compared to the other 24 guys in the dugout, Velez sucks a$$.

Compared to the other 36k or so fans at any given Dodgers game game, Velez kicks a$$. >>

c'mon, no need to be so harsh. Out that 36K, I'm sure there are several that could have managed to eke out a hit. Nancy Bea might have even been able to drop down a bunt.