Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Should Larry Shepherd run for a Governor position in the next ANA election?

PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
If he does, I'll renew my membership so that I can vote for him.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Comments

• Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Probably not doable. It's likely his settlement agreement included a confidentiality clause. If he runs, people are going to want to know the details.
  • Options

<< <i>If he does, I'll renew my membership so that I can vote for him. >>

• Options
    It would sure make the ANA Board meetings more interesting.

Run Larry, run!
  • Options

<< <i>Probably not doable. It's likely his settlement agreement included a confidentiality clause. If he runs, people are going to want to know the details. >>

I'm hoping that he does run. He should just tell them that the current governors won't allow him to disclose the circumstances of his removal. I'm guessing that all this secrecy and the total lack of transparency on the part of the current board of governors won't endear them to the membership.

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He has my vote!

Ditto!

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Probably not doable. It's likely his settlement agreement included a confidentiality clause. If he runs, people are going to want to know the details. >>

I'm hoping that he does run. He should just tell them that the current governors won't allow him to disclose the circumstances of his removal. I'm guessing that all this secrecy and the total lack of transparency on the part of the current board of governors won't endear them to the membership. >>

Perhaps, and I am just playing Devil's Advocate here, he doesn't want all the transparency that Board members here are clamoring about. Maybe, just maybe, he wants to move on and go back to being the coin dealer everyone worships.

I believe there is something in the ANA's bylaws that prevents a former employee for running for the Board within a certain timeframe.

BTW ... Of course any settlement included a confidentiality/non-disclosure/non-defamation clause. The ANA knows a thing or two about involving lawyers. They've had a thorough and expensive education. image
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    Nice to know that you guys have made up your minds on this issue without the benefit of
    ANY facts, just your willingness to believe that the ANA Board is always wrong. Tom Hallenbeck,
    the current ANA president, is a rather savvy businessman that has an excellent reputation, and
    he voted (along with every other governor) to buy out the rest of Larry's contract. Doesn't that
    say ANYTHING to you guys?

While I may never know the details of this event, due to confidentiality agreements, I do retain
    the ability to think for myself.

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice to know that you guys have made up your minds on this issue without the benefit of
    ANY facts, just your willingness to believe that the ANA Board is always wrong. Tom Hallenbeck,
    the current ANA president, is a rather savvy businessman that has an excellent reputation, and
    he voted (along with every other governor) to buy out the rest of Larry's contract. Doesn't that

While I may never know the details of this event, due to confidentiality agreements, I do retain
    the ability to think for myself. >>

Sothus far I agreed to vote for Larry and I agreed to back the ANA Board...why...because I have no idea what is going on that's why. So I will back both sides due to the fact that I am in the dark. >>

good point!

Tom

• Options

<< <i>Nice to know that you guys have made up your minds on this issue without the benefit of

How do you know they bought our his contract? I have not seen that, and I would be surprised by that.

Tom

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Larry doesn't need the ANA and the proverbial snakes that lie in that grass. Moving on to higher ground. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

My concern is the board of governors has removed the Executive Director and refuses to tell their members which provides significant financial support to the ANA why this happened. I'm not sure if I want to belong to and support an organization that makes major decisions like this in complete secrecy. The elected governors should be accountable to the members that put them in office.

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Larry doesn't need the ANA and the proverbial snakes that lie in that grass. Moving on to higher ground. MJ >>

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    DonWillisDonWillis Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    I agree that this would be very unlikely. Larry doesn't need the hassle of dealing with the past.

On the other hand if he did run I am certain that he would win by a landslide.

A Larry Shepard lead slate of candidates would probably clean house......

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> A Larry Shepard lead slate of candidates would probably clean house...... >>

Huh, Wasn't the current ANA board also the result of a cleaned house?

I am concerned that the next executive director will be politically correct but not be able to be a non nonsense kind of guy to keep the ANA on a upward track like Larry has done.

While I might not have agreed with everything Larry did as ANA executive director, seeing him go was the LAST thing I had in mind.

As far as I am concerned, Larry saved the ANA from implosion.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It would sure make the ANA Board meetings more interesting.

Run Larry, run! >>

PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Now the key question is, would Larry even want to run or have anything else to do with the ANA?
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Now the key question is, would Larry even want to run or have anything else to do with the ANA? >>

Larry Shepherd must become the Gandhi of the ANAimage------------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    Just to post from the ANA Bylaws:

Article VI, Section 2, Paragraph h

"No present or former employee of the organization shall be eligible for nomination as a candidate for the office of President, Vice-President, or Governor of the Association during the term of his or her employment or during the first election occurring after the voluntary or involuntary termination of his or her employment"

Greg
    Greg Lyon, ANA Board of Governors 2011-2017 -- The views represented here are my own personal opinions and do not represent those of the American Numismatic Association.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My concern is the board of governors has removed the Executive Director and refuses to tell their members which provides significant financial support to the ANA why this happened. I'm not sure if I want to belong to and support an organization that makes major decisions like this in complete secrecy. The elected governors should be accountable to the members that put them in office.

I'm very much not "in the know" as to what led to Larry's exit. That said, I'd just like to point out that even if the ANA chooses to tell us nothing, Larry is still most likely free to tell his side of the story.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

<< <i>My concern is the board of governors has removed the Executive Director and refuses to tell their members which provides significant financial support to the ANA why this happened. I'm not sure if I want to belong to and support an organization that makes major decisions like this in complete secrecy. The elected governors should be accountable to the members that put them in office.

I'm very much not "in the know" as to what led to Larry's exit. That said, I'd just like to point out that even if the ANA chooses to tell us nothing, Larry is still most likely free to tell his side of the story. >>

What you say is true---unless his severance package includes signing a non-disclosure agreement which is very likely.

• Options
    Why in the world would he want to? Why go back to an obviously hostile atmosphere? What could he possibly accomplish aside from growing an ulcer? Let's be real-- the politically correct press realease translated into everyday English reads: we don't want you around here anymore. Throughout my somewhat long life I have been fired more times than "Davy Crockett's rifle". In every case I always found myself in a better position eventually than if I had stayed where I was. I think this is already the case with Larry. I sure hope so and wish him luck and a more enjoyable future. Dave W

David J Weygant Rare Coins www.djwcoin.com
    dalias13@hotmail.com
  • Options
    Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    I agree that the secrecy behind all of this has led to alot of negative feelings toward the board, and the ANA itself.
  • Options
    What a bunch of spin and BS on your part Joe. Laughable. MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    With the understanding that A) I am not an ANA member and B) I have no particular insight into the current situation being discussed, I would suggest that this attitude ("I just know things that you don't") is likely not to be a big selling point when trying to convince people to become members.

FWIW...
  • Options
    Whatever Joe. MJ
  • Options
    Joe is right. There was no ANA board lynch mob on this one.

If you slueths really want to figure out possiblities, go research Larrys last corporate job and see how and why that ended.

The real shame, Larry was the guy who finally was turning the ANA around. The bad choices he made could not have been swept under the rug.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm not asking you to become members. >>

I didn't mean to say you were- sorry. There *are* people who claim that joining is a good thing, though. And all I'm saying is that telling people "Don't ask questions (or expect answers) about how the organization is being run- just send your dues" is likely not going to be as productive in attracting prospects as it could be.

Again, FWIW...
  • Options

<< <i>You should know how your organization is being run. However, employment matters are simply off limits, especially in such a public forum. >>

Unfortunately, one (as a manager of an organization) does not get to decide for the membership what things they (the membership) think they want (or need) to know about how the organization is being run.

Maybe it really isn't reasonable to expect (as a member) to be told about some kinds of stuff, but that's not going to stop people from wanting to know what's happening.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joe:

Because you are in the know, can you tell us what the ANA legal budget is for 2011? Can you tell us what the ANA budgeted and then incurred for legal fees over the past 20 years? Finally, can you share what the core ANA education mission is?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>You should know how your organization is being run. However, employment matters are simply off limits, especially in such a public forum. >>

Unfortunately, one (as a manager of an organization) does not get to decide for the membership what things they (the membership) think they want (or need) to know about how the organization is being run.

Maybe it really isn't reasonable to expect (as a member) to be told about some kinds of stuff, but that's not going to stop people from wanting to know what's happening. >>

You are right; some people "think" they need to know everybody’s business when in reality they should be concerned with their own business.

I’ve listened to some “blind” support written here on these boards and it is almost hilarious. If Mr. Shepherd felt he had been “wronged”, why hasn’t he signed up for a membership and stated his case? Maybe because the reasoning is inexcusable?

The Board of Governors are “gagged” from commenting, but Mr. Shepherd is free so where is he? As far as being “political”, if it was I doubt the vote would have been all to nothing in favor of “termination”. The “lynch mob” mentality against the Board of Governors is so humorous that it is sickening. If Mr. Shepherd’s conduct was so that it caused his termination from employment, why would anyone want him to be on the Board?

Some may want to elect Mr. Shepherd, fine, I will support the Board of Governors that were elected to safe guard and run our club to the best of their abilities.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ANA has been involved in this kind of stuff (whatever was or wasn't done) since the days of Zerbe...and he ended up with the top award named after him. I have been a life member for 23 years, will remain so, have seen all the corporate politics I need to in the real world, and I find all this stuff entertaining...in a cynical way. I wouldn't send in a dime extra, however, until I see the next set of moves.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options

<< <i>You are right; some people "think" they need to know everybody’s business when in reality they should be concerned with their own business. >>

Unfortuantely, if you want those people to "mind their own business", you're going to have to convince them it is in their best interest to do so. Just saying "Because I said so!" is probably not going to work, however...
  • Options
    Having thought through some of them many reasons that the ANA may have for not disclosing information, I've come to the conclusion that even though I might want the information, there are other concerns and factors that exceed my want for the information. I voted for the current board and I think they are good people and have done a good job. I continue to feel that way. I think the board has the best interests of the ANA's members in mind and I choose to think, despite the lack of information, that there is no political or other agenda driving the decision, other than a desire to make the ANA better. The fact that the the vote was 9-0 helps me believe that.

None of that changes the fact that, from my perspective, Larry Shepherd accomplished a turnaround in about 3 years that was laudable, and he deserves credit for that.

So I'll stick with the ANA and despite my previous rant, I'll stick with the current board.

Tom

• Options

When they try to keep things behind closed doors and have no transparency one must wonder what they are hiding and why.
    It just doesn't sit right with me.
    successful BST deals with Meltdown, Broadstruck, lordmarcovan, MisterTicToc, JINX86, BXBOY143, MBCOINS and others
  • Options
    CalebCaleb Posts: 739

<< <i>When they try to keep things behind closed doors and have no transparency one must wonder what they are hiding and why.
    It just doesn't sit right with me. >>

Who says they are trying to keep thing behind closed doors, the Board of Governors are just doing their business which just happens to be none of your business. image
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Larry Sheperd is not the victim here, despite the spin campaign being waged by a few of his cheerleaders. This was not a political decision by the ANA Board, but a decision that would have been made by nearly all of you who are employers yourselves.

There are countless examples around us of men in positions of power that behave badly. Unfortunately, our little slice of the universe is not immune to this behavior. And while it is true that good people can sometimes do bad things, it is also true that bad people can occasionally do something good. >>

These statements should not have been made in a public forum, Joe. I believe that they have painted Larry in a very bad light.

If the information that you have is public, then you can make these statements, but from what I know there is no public information and I believe that these statements should be withdrawn.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    It is sometimes wiser to "remain silent and be thought a fool,then to speak and be proven a fool".

Until the facts are out and the charges known, all we should rely on is the

legal precept, that an accused is considered innocent, intil proven guilty.Words

are much like a bell. Once the words are spoken or the bell is rung, nothing can

take back either.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    GregLGregL Posts: 470

<< <i>Because you are in the know, can you tell us what the ANA legal budget is for 2011? Can you tell us what the ANA budgeted and then incurred for legal fees over the past 20 years? Finally, can you share what the core ANA education mission is? >>

The ANA Budget is publicly available on the ANA website in the "Financial Reports" section: http://www.money.org/Content/NavigationMenu/Communications/FinancialReports/default.htm There are issues, as I pointed out in my campaign, where end-of-year numbers seem to be lacking on the website. I am working to ensure that is NOT the case this year.

For FY2011, the annual budget for legal fees was $235,667. Through the 2nd quarter (ending April 30th), actual expenses were $307,352. For FY2010, $235,000 was budgeted for legal fees. Through the 3rd quarter (latest posted on the website), actual expenses were $200,114.

Through 3Q08, legal fees exceeded $545,000. Through 3Q07, legal fees exceeded $408,000.

When we are talking about a non-profit with an annual budget of around $6 million, these numbers are WAY too high and we are doing everything possible to prevent a return to unnecessary litigation.

Greg
    Greg Lyon, ANA Board of Governors 2011-2017 -- The views represented here are my own personal opinions and do not represent those of the American Numismatic Association.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Because you are in the know, can you tell us what the ANA legal budget is for 2011? Can you tell us what the ANA budgeted and then incurred for legal fees over the past 20 years? Finally, can you share what the core ANA education mission is? >>

The ANA Budget is publicly available on the ANA website in the "Financial Reports" section: http://www.money.org/Content/NavigationMenu/Communications/FinancialReports/default.htm There are issues, as I pointed out in my campaign, where end-of-year numbers seem to be lacking on the website. I am working to ensure that is NOT the case this year.

For FY2011, the annual budget for legal fees was $235,667. Through the 2nd quarter (ending April 30th), actual expenses were $307,352. For FY2010, $235,000 was budgeted for legal fees. Through the 3rd quarter (latest posted on the website), actual expenses were $200,114.

Through 3Q08, legal fees exceeded $545,000. Through 3Q07, legal fees exceeded $408,000.

When we are talking about a non-profit with an annual budget of around $6 million, these numbers are WAY too high and we are doing everything possible to prevent a return to unnecessary litigation.

Greg >>

I agree..those numbers sound very high for an organization this size.

Tom

• Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Larry doesn't need the ANA and the proverbial snakes that lie in that grass. Moving on to higher ground. MJ >>

Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options
    tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I'm hoping that he does run. He should just tell them that the current governors won't allow him to disclose the circumstances of his removal. I'm guessing that all this secrecy and the total lack of transparency on the part of the current board of governors won't endear them to the membership. >>

I, seriously, wonder about Walt's vote on this one, considering how HE was treated by a previous Board. Frankly, he may have cost himself becoming the President. I'd actually like to see Larry run for President, not a regular Board member, in the next election.
  • Options
    GregLGregL Posts: 470

<< <i>I, seriously, wonder about Walt's vote on this one, considering how HE was treated by a previous Board. Frankly, he may have cost himself becoming the President. I'd actually like to see Larry run for President, not a regular Board member, in the next election. >>

Unfortunately, that is not possible. In order to run for President or Vice-President, you must have served at least one term on the Board of Governors. Additionally, past employees may not run for any position in the election following their leaving the employment of the ANA.

Greg
  • Options
    tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I, seriously, wonder about Walt's vote on this one, considering how HE was treated by a previous Board. Frankly, he may have cost himself becoming the President. I'd actually like to see Larry run for President, not a regular Board member, in the next election. >>

Unfortunately, that is not possible. In order to run for President or Vice-President, you must have served at least one term on the Board of Governors. Additionally, past employees may not run for any position in the election following their leaving the employment of the ANA.

Greg >>

Change the bylaws then because, newbie Governor, the current Board is starting to smell like the Board that got its entire butt kicked out in the following election. Funny how a Governor can be thrown out and run again but an employee can't.

Right now, I'd love to see Larry retain a national law firm and "see ya in Court," on that and several issues.

Given the national charter, perhaps the time has come for us to write our Congressmen/women and Senators, again, for a complete Congressional investigation into the ANA.

So far, I'm not impressed at all with this new Board, and the members who have been added within the last four years.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file