Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Portland, Maine Coin Show

72nd Consecutive semi-annual coin and postcard show
Sponsored jointly by the Gorham Coin Club and the Pinetree Postcard Club
Sunday, October 16, 2011
9:00 AM to 4:00 PM
At the Howard Johnson’s Convention Center (formerly Verrillo’s)
Exit 48 of the Maine Turnpike (155 Riverside Street)
Portland, Maine
$3.00 Admission
75 Tables (40 devoted to numismatic material)
Bourse Chairman: Stephen A. Crain
89 Varney Mill Road
Windham, ME 04062
(207) 892-7113
They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Comments

• Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    ttt
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    it,s all downhill from Calais to Portland so I should be there.....image
  • Options

<< <i>it,s all downhill from Calais to Portland so I should be there.....image >>

How is it down hill? image

You can't get any more "Down East" then Calais so every thing else would be up hill from you image
  • Options
    I,m an Upperdowneaster,so I get a rolling start
  • Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bad timing. The Orono Show is on the same day. image
  • Options
    "Bad timing. The Orono Show is on the same day."

Very true, and it will affect the attendance at our show, but it was unavoidable. It seems that there are just 52 weeks in a year, and more than 52 coin shows.
  • Options
    Just one week from today. Why not combine a foliage trip to New England and a coin show - all in the same trip.
  • Options
    Just a subtle reminder, for the show coming up this Sunday.
  • Options
    <<How is it down hill?

You can't get any more "Down East" then Calais so every thing else would be up hill from you>>

My family called New Brunswick "Down East", so Calais is not the limit.

On a map Portland is below Calais.

I think I once read that the prevailing wind was Boston way from Maine. That is yet another sense that Calais to Portland is down.

• Options
    TURBOTURBO Posts: 494 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"Bad timing. The Orono Show is on the same day."

Very true, and it will affect the attendance at our show, but it was unavoidable. It seems that there are just 52 weeks in a year, and more than 52 coin shows. >>

Wish a couple would come out here! Not much of anything in the way of coin shows out this way.
  • Options

<< <i><<How is it down hill?

You can't get any more "Down East" then Calais so every thing else would be up hill from you>>

My family called New Brunswick "Down East", so Calais is not the limit.

On a map Portland is below Calais.

I think I once read that the prevailing wind was Boston way from Maine. That is yet another sense that Calais to Portland is down. >>

Sorry, you have it backwards. I'm from Mount Desert Island and Calais is further "down east" from us. It is almost a "ya can't get there from har" situation. image

PS: A litle "downeast" humor, did you know that the person who invented the 'toothbrush' was from Washington County Maine? If it had been invented anywhere else it would have been called a 'teethbrush'. image
  • Options
    <<Sorry, you have it backwards. I'm from Mount Desert Island and Calais is further "down east" from us. It is almost a "ya can't get there from har" situation.

PS: A litle "downeast" humor, did you know that the person who invented the 'toothbrush' was from Washington County Maine? If it had been invented anywhere else it would have been called a 'teethbrush'. >>

Here is another item of possible contention. Cadilac Mountain on Mount Desert Island is the first place in the USA to see the rising sun around December 21 only. West Quoddy Head is in the "shadow" of Grand Manan island at that point as well as being further north.
    I (or the company computer) did the calculations over 50 years ago.
  • Options
    Tomorrow is the day for the Portland, Maine coin show, Why not brush up on your downeast geography and make the trip to Maine. Enjoy the foliage, have a few lobstahs, and do the show.

And for the Maine trivia buffs, the ear muffs and the Stanley Steamer were also invented in Maine.
  • Options
    skowhegan on the ear muffs wasnt it?
  • Options
    "skowhegan on the ear muffs wasnt it?"

Yes, it was. And it wasn't far from there for the Stanley Steamer, as well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file