Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The Rays have the WORST fans in baseball (at least yesterday)

Okay, as you all know, me and my wife (who is from Greater Boston) were watching the Red Sox game (as well as the Rays one; since we did need the Yankees help), and I can't believe that the "Trop" looked about half empty or so even after the Rays go through all the trouble of coming back from nine games down on September 2, and then just because they're down a measly seven runs (coming back from seven runs down, especially given what it took for the Rays to even get that far), many of their left and QUIT on them. Well boy did those fans that left early feel stupid now (and they should!). If they had just had a little something called faith and loyalty to their team on that night and stuck with them, they could've been a part of one of the greatest playoff race comebacks in history (though the Cardinals, who came back from 7.5 games back with 20 left to go might have something to say about that).

And this after the Rays also go to the World Series in 2008 after having losing seasons all the previous history. Seriously, the Rays need to just find somewhere else to play. They in no way deserve a MLB team if they can't support them any better than this.

Should the Rays make the World Series again, won't that be fun to see the Trop all nicely half filled? image
WISHLIST
Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars

Comments

• NBA arenas are empty. use perspective.
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>Okay, as you all know, me and my wife (who is from Greater Boston) were watching the Red Sox game (as well as the Rays one; since we did need the Yankees help), and I can't believe that the "Trop" looked about half empty or so even after the Rays go through all the trouble of coming back from nine games down on September 2, and then just because they're down a measly seven runs (coming back from seven runs down, especially given what it took for the Rays to even get that far), many of their left and QUIT on them. Well boy did those fans that left early feel stupid now (and they should!). If they had just had a little something called faith and loyalty to their team on that night and stuck with them, they could've been a part of one of the greatest playoff race comebacks in history (though the Cardinals, who came back from 7.5 games back with 20 left to go might have something to say about that).

And this after the Rays also go to the World Series in 2008 after having losing seasons all the previous history. Seriously, the Rays need to just find somewhere else to play. They in no way deserve a MLB team if they can't support them any better than this.

Should the Rays make the World Series again, won't that be fun to see the Trop all nicely half filled? image >>

Sports talk forum is that way ---->>>>

And, you sound like typical bitter Boston fan after their bloated payroll choked.
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    It's pathetic and they won't have baseball there in 10 years. Steinbrenner pushed for it. Now that he's dead, there's no reason to have baseball in a town that doesn't support it even when they win.
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    The Sweet Baby Rays have played 763 straight games with a starting pitcher under the age of 30.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>LMFAO >>

LMFAO #2
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They need to move the team to downtown Tampa if they want to boost atendance. The cost of a new stadium would obviously be a stumbling block.

That being said the Trop is a dump and and is very difficult to get to. The company I work for has season tickets right on first base side and I have never used them.

There would be a lot more people from surounding areas be willing to drive to a game if it was in Tampa. It takes almost two hours from Orlando with any traffic delays and very few want to get home from a baseball game at 1:30 in the morning.

A state of the art new stadium would boost atendance initially like it always does and if they had a winning team on the field you might get some more loyal fans.

The biggest problem though is Tampa is very closely affiliated to New York and there are a ton of Yankees fans there. If they were in the National League I think it would help as many fans root for a few teams with one being their absolute favorite.

It must be quite depressing to play for the team when a home game against the Yankees has way more New York fans then Rays fans.
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Yankees suck
  • EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yankees suck >>

+1
  • Tampa will support a winner! The location of the stadium and the stadium itself has more to do with the lackluster crowds than naything else. As David said above, if the stadium was in the Channel side area where the hockey arena and nightlife are, that stadium would be packed. There is nothing to do in St. Pete where that stadium is located, and the majority of the population if on the other side of the Bay in Tampa.

Congrats to Tampa, amazing comeback, Nice to see a small market team with a payroll a fraction of the Yankees and Sox going to the playoffs.

• Other posts explained it well. St Pete sucks (Sorry Matt) image

• << <i>The Sweet Baby Rays have played 763 straight games with a starting pitcher under the age of 30. >>

That I did not know. Impressive.

Dave
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>LMFAO >>

LMFAO #2 >>

LMFAO #3
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Tampa has never got support for thier team good or bad nor have the Marlins.In Florida Its all about Florida Gators,Folrida ST,and the Miami Hurricanes.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Tampa has never got support for thier team good or bad nor have the Marlins.In Florida Its all about Florida Gators,Folrida ST,and the Miami Hurricanes. >>

I totally disagree with that comment! The Bucs and Lightning, when they're winning get great support from the community. I know times are tough right now but there was a 5 year waiting list for season tickets for Bucs 6 years ago and the Lightning get great crowds. Matt (MbMiller) said it best there's nothing around the Trop to do before or after the game, but there's a ton to do on Channel side as well as Ybor City. What a better place to have a ball park then downtown Tampa.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON