Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

68 Topps. The bane of my existence.

I've built this set then broken it three or four times now. I was almost done with it a year ago, then decided to sell off the stars to buy the 52 Mantle. Kept the 68 Mantle and the Bench RC, and a partial set of over 400 commons.

Decided to sell the commons a couple weeks ago. Opened up the album and forgot how nice they were. Now I'm rebuilding the set AGAIN. I need 110 cards to finish it, which is about what I always seem to need.

And I've never found a Ryan RC that I've been 100% satisfied with. Easiest set in the 60's and it's been ridonkulous for me to try and finish. image
Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I find that set to be tough simply because the corners are difficult to see. With that pattern around the border, you have to strain your eyes to see if the corners have a small ding.
  • Options
    i may have a few Eddie Bane cards from 1974, need to check. LMK if interested so i can post a thread in the BST and you can answer it. image
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    One more joke like that mister & I'll petition to have you sent to Bansylvania.........image
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    hmmmph. ingrate. image
  • Options
  • Options
    Ron,

I'm also building the set and need 108 cards to finish. Would you have duplicate common cards, in EX-MT condition or better, that you would like to sell or trade? I have a whole bunch of duplicates, EX or better, that I could trade or sell.

Thanks,

Lee
  • Options
    I hate the '68 Topps set. Thank you.
  • Options
    as a mid-grade rookie card collector, i love the burlap of '68!

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    I have lots of extra raw '68s in varying condition, most VG-EX. Few better, some worse. Let me know if you need some.
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm building the set also. I'm down to about 13 cards plus another dozen or so that I need to upgrade from 7 to 8. I have a hard time finding nicely centered Mays and Clemente 8's, so I haven't upgraded them yet. It's an easy set but it becomes more challenging if you refuse all the diamond cut or less than ideally centered examples out there.
  • Options
    NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭
    I have a 1968 Dick Dietz PSA 7 I am dying to get rid of. Thought it might grade better.
    Nikklos
  • Options

<< <i>I have a 1968 Dick Dietz PSA 7 I am dying to get rid of. Thought it might grade better. >>

Getting 7's on 1968s is brutal. Now I don't submit a '68 common unless it's a slam dunk 8 with a 50-50 or better chance at a 9 and that depends on the card. A lot of 9s can be had for under 10 bucks. I've got about 150 raw cards from the set I purchased several years back that was the basis for my graded set. Some of them could possibly 8 but it isn't worth the risk of submitting them.
  • Options
    Ok so let me ask this question:
    What makes them not worth grading if they arent 8 or better? Return on Investment? Worth less than the card +slabbing fees?
    Is this set that abundant in NM and that makes the demand only for the 8 and up level?
  • Options
    Worth less than the card +slabbing fees?
    Correct answer.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOTS of high grade cards out there for this year. Both the 67's and the 69's seem to be harder to find 9's. Anyone care to venture a guess as to why?

Also, I find it easier to spot corner damage on these as long as you use a loupe.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

<< <i>Ok so let me ask this question:
    What makes them not worth grading if they arent 8 or better? Return on Investment? Worth less than the card +slabbing fees?
    Is this set that abundant in NM and that makes the demand only for the 8 and up level? >>

1968 is by far the easiest year to source high grade cards. Part of that has to do with the design, part of it has to do with lots of vending runs that survived and I also think Topps had higher printing quality that year for some reason. You don't have the typical print flaws you find with other years.

If your cards have some personal value above the market price, then by all means, slab them. If you are looking to make money on them today or someday, purchase a subscription to VCP and see what the particular cards you want to submit trade for in the market. There aren't too many commons in that set that are worth more than $5 in a PSA 7 grade.
  • Options
    LarryPLarryP Posts: 339 ✭✭
    I bought this one about 4 yrs ago... I have always been a Ryan fan.

Good Luck,
    -Larry
    Upgrading: Nothing!

Selling: Everything!
    eBay Auctions