Home Sports Talk

Cardinals vs Phillies

frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
Thank you so much Phillies for beating the Braves so that the Cardinals could complete this improbable run to the playoffs. Now, I go from cheering like crazy for the Phillies to cheering like crazy against them.

Looks like it will be Roy Halladay vs Kyle Lohse for game one. Hopefully it will be a good series. I don't expect a blowout either way. I expect it to be very competitive. Hopefully the Cardinals can pull this one out.

Shane

Comments

• thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Go Cards Go!

St. Louis is close enough that I can drive to come to a World Series game if the Rangers make it that far. Food and room and board compliments of Shane image

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Go Cards Go!

St. Louis is close enough that I can drive to come to a World Series game if the Rangers make it that far. Food and room and board compliments of Shane image

Mike >>

You're welcome anytime, Mike - even though I'm 3.5 hrs away from St Louis in western KY.

Shane

• HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    What's the deal with holliday and furcal? I heard they've both busted up...finger problem & hammy?
    I think that's the difference maker there. IF they both played and were @ full strength I'd call the season even, but without them, edge to the phillies.

I figure the phillies bad offense makes the cards staff better, and the cards good offense make the phils staff less effective, especially in the late innings, evening things out. Just my thought process.
    Ah, both questionable. Link

The advantage of clinching early, those guys could have been rested a couple weeks. I'm thinking even if they play tomorrow they're going to be pretty compromised.

IAE, good luck! (but not TOO much luck!)
    I heard Matt Holliday tell ESPN Radio's Doug Gottlieb that if he had to guess, he would be in the lineup for Game 1. We shall see.

On a side note, out of the 20 "experts" on ESPN.com, exactly zero of them pick the Cardinals to win this series. I am not surprised.

Shane

<< <i>I heard Matt Holliday tell ESPN Radio's Doug Gottlieb that if he had to guess, he would be in the lineup for Game 1. We shall see.

On a side note, out of the 20 "experts" on ESPN.com, exactly zero of them pick the Cardinals to win this series. I am not surprised. >>

having seen roughly 160 phillies games this year (what else can you do with a 6 month old in the house?), the phil's offense can disappear in an eye-blink. In a 7 game series the phillies would be more a lock. ANYTHING Can happen in a 5 gamer, which is why I don't think you should have to play them.

<< <i>

<< <i>I heard Matt Holliday tell ESPN Radio's Doug Gottlieb that if he had to guess, he would be in the lineup for Game 1. We shall see.

On a side note, out of the 20 "experts" on ESPN.com, exactly zero of them pick the Cardinals to win this series. I am not surprised. >>

having seen roughly 160 phillies games this year (what else can you do with a 6 month old in the house?), the phil's offense can disappear in an eye-blink. In a 7 game series the phillies would be more a lock. ANYTHING Can happen in a 5 gamer, which is why I don't think you should have to play them. >>

With the Cardinals bullpen woes, that Phillies offense can reappear just as fast as it disappeared. Don't be fooled by the Cardinals bullpen numbers (era, etc). Seems like EVERY run the bullpen gave up was in the 9th inning to lose the game. The Cardinals lead the league in walk off loses, and come from behind losses in the 8th inning or later.

Shane

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a Cards fan, but it would be GREAT if they beat the Phillies.

Steve would probably never show up here again.
    Well, looks like the Phils take Game 1. It's in the 7th and it is 6-3 with the bases loaded and nobody out. This game is over.

Congrats to the Phils.

Shane

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Well, looks like the Phils take Game 1. It's in the 7th and it is 6-3 with the bases loaded and nobody out. This game is over.
    Congrats to the Phils. >>

That was a quick 10 runs in 3 innings! LOL

21 Cards out in a row!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

<< <i>

<< <i>Go Cards Go!

Mike >>

You're welcome anytime, Mike - even though I'm 3.5 hrs away from St Louis in western KY. >>

Shane,

Congrats on the team winning tonight. Didn't realize you were so far away from St. Louis. I thought I remembered you living there, but evidently once I turned 40, my memory is going.

Do you happen to know any Cardinals ticket holders that would like to trade 2 of their World Series tickets to Game 1 or 2, for 2 tickets to Game 3 here in Texas if both teams make it??

Mike

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Go Cards Go!

Mike >>

You're welcome anytime, Mike - even though I'm 3.5 hrs away from St Louis in western KY. >>

Shane,

Congrats on the team winning tonight. Didn't realize you were so far away from St. Louis. I thought I remembered you living there, but evidently once I turned 40, my memory is going.

Do you happen to know any Cardinals ticket holders that would like to trade 2 of their World Series tickets to Game 1 or 2, for 2 tickets to Game 3 here in Texas if both teams make it??

Mike >>

Mike,

Sorry, I do not know any season ticket holders or anybody that would have WS tickets.

Great game last night. Where is everybody? I thought Phillies fans would flock here after Game 1. I kinda figured I would hear crickets though after the Cardinals comeback in Game 2. image

Shane

series is a big yawn. MLB playoffs, especially a 5 game series is a roll of the dice. regular season = nothing.

I find it hard to get that wound up about it.

<< <i>series is a big yawn. MLB playoffs, especially a 5 game series is a roll of the dice. regular season = nothing.

I find it hard to get that wound up about it. >>

Not if you are a fan of one of the teams.

Shane

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Atlanta or Boston would like to be in a 5 game series right now. image
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>series is a big yawn. MLB playoffs, especially a 5 game series is a roll of the dice. regular season = nothing. >>

If that's nothing I guess a one-game playoff between two teams tied after 162 is *really* nothing.

And yet it's everything, since you win or go home.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Shane,Do you happen to know any Cardinals ticket holders that would like to trade 2 of their World Series tickets to Game 1 or 2, for 2 tickets to Game 3 here in Texas if both teams make it? Mike >>

Mike ... don't worry about something that's not going to happen! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

<< <i>

<< <i>series is a big yawn. MLB playoffs, especially a 5 game series is a roll of the dice. regular season = nothing. >>

If that's nothing I guess a one-game playoff between two teams tied after 162 is *really* nothing.

And yet it's everything, since you win or go home. >>

there's a difference between playing 162 games and being dead even. There's something wrong about slaughtering the whole league for 5 months only to get stuck against a team who barely eeked into the playoffs based on another teams collapse and then coin-flipping them image

it's a 3 game series, effectively.

That'll tell you who I likes image

<< <i>

<< <i>

there's a difference between playing 162 games and being dead even. There's something wrong about slaughtering the whole league for 5 months only to get stuck against a team who barely eeked into the playoffs based on another teams collapse and then coin-flipping them image

That'll tell you who I likes image >>

So....let's change the MLB format to...whichever team wins the most games in the regular season is the World Champion. Yeah, that'll work. image

Shane

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

So....let's change the MLB format to...whichever team wins the most games in the regular season is the World Champion. Yeah, that'll work. image >>

try.... wildcard team gets 1 home game out of 5.... 2 out of 7 image

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

So....let's change the MLB format to...whichever team wins the most games in the regular season is the World Champion. Yeah, that'll work. image >>

try.... wildcard team gets 1 home game out of 5.... 2 out of 7 image >>

...and they have to bat and throw from the opposite side plus they have to get 4 outs in the field while getting 2 outs when batting. image

Shane

• fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    If they win this series against Phillies, who is gonna beat them?

i see another championship in Pujols future!!

<< <i>If they win this series against Phillies, who is gonna beat them?

i see another championship in Pujols future!! >>

The Brew Crew is very tough and they are on fire right now. Hopefully the Cardinals face them though and can send Nyger Morgan home crying to his momma.

Shane

• gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,159

<< <i>

<< <i>If they win this series against Phillies, who is gonna beat them?

i see another championship in Pujols future!! >>

The Brew Crew is very tough and they are on fire right now. Hopefully the Cardinals face them though and can send Nyger Morgan home crying to his momma. >>

Interesting. Be careful what you wish for. Hopefully Carpenter's little boyfriend is playing first base the next time Nyger faces him. I'd hate to have Carpenter feeling so scared and alone against such an imposing person like the BEASTly Nyger Morgan.
    wow, cardinals fans getting SLIGHTLY ahead of themselves. At WORST, they've won 1 game to avoid a 3 game sweep. at best, you still have to go through roy halladay and cliff lee again to get through this series.

you can think about facing the brewers in a few days maybe.

<< <i>wow, cardinals fans getting SLIGHTLY ahead of themselves. At WORST, they've won 1 game to avoid a 3 game sweep. at best, you still have to go through roy halladay and cliff lee again to get through this series.

you can think about facing the brewers in a few days maybe. >>

I was simply answering a question. You know - a hypothetical situation. I'm not stupid. Cardinals have a huge game tonight. If (IF, IF IF, IF) the Cardinals can pull out a win tonight, they still have to win another one. Yes, I am excited that the Cardinals are not down 2-0, but I realize it is FAR FROM OVER.

Plus, I was even correcting what someone said about nobody being able to stop the Cardinals. I was saying, "Oh yes there is". The Brewers will be tough IF the Cardinals somehow get past Philly.

Shane

Well, congrats to the Phillies. That was a great game. One huge mistake by Garcia and the Cards are now in a huge hole.

Shane

game could have easily gone either way. evenly matched teams.... good o vs good pitching. average o vs average pitching.

cards got 2 flares in and hit the best ball of the inning in the 8th was right at utley. weird game.

Go Cards Go!!!
    Fingers crossed for Game 5. Carp vs Halladay. What a matchup.

Shane

• That squirrel is really in the Philly's heads now, it is all downhill from this point.

A brewers/cardinals NLCS could get very ugly, there are still tensions boiling from the last regular season series.
    The cards are going to pack that squirrel up and bring him to the Bank???
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    the Phillies have felt ordained for a few years.

i am leaning towards the Cards.

even though i'm not a fan of either team.
    Awesome game, stellar drama. Congrats to the CARDINALS fans, you were definitely the better team this series. here's hoping for some fresh blood for the phillies lineup and a 7 game first series next year image

PUMMEL the BREWERS!!!!!
  • twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    I am looking forward to the NLCS. Will be like the 82 WS all over again. Only all the big names like Ozzie Smith , Keith Hernandez, Paul Molitor, Robin Yount, etc etc wont be there. Still I love seeing a match up like this. I am also glad Phillies are out! Congrats to the Cards!!!!
    !!

• << <i>Awesome game, stellar drama. Congrats to the CARDINALS fans, you were definitely the better team this series. here's hoping for some fresh blood for the phillies lineup and a 7 game first series next year image

PUMMEL the BREWERS!!!!! >>

If your first baseman actually performed as if he were the best hitter
    In the game...like you guys always hail him as....then you
    Wouldn't need as much new blood as you do.

I'm not talking about another post season failure by him, but
    His regular season performance where his performance lags
    Far behind the true elite players in the game.
    Are you sure about that five minutes!?

Shane

<< <i>

<< <i>Awesome game, stellar drama. Congrats to the CARDINALS fans, you were definitely the better team this series. here's hoping for some fresh blood for the phillies lineup and a 7 game first series next year image

PUMMEL the BREWERS!!!!! >>

If your first baseman actually performed as if he were the best hitter
    In the game...like you guys always hail him as....then you
    Wouldn't need as much new blood as you do.

I'm not talking about another post season failure by him, but
    His regular season performance where his performance lags
    Far behind the true elite players in the game. >>

whatever.
  • You guys treat Howard like he is a .315/.420/.600 hitter.

Instead, you have a typical .265/.349/.529 nice good hitter(by the era's standard, but clearly not HOF material).

Those are his averages for the last four years. They just get lost because the Phillies have sprinkled a lot of baserunners with great speed ahead of him, so they plump his RBI total and fool people how good he really isn't.

You treat him like he is some clutch God.

Instead, you have Ryan 'last out' Howard, who has often time looked sick in the post season the last several series.

But he does have a two year run now of making the last out in their elimination game. Ya got that.
    Are you sure about that five minutes!?
  • GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    The Phillies had two #1 aces on their staff and could not beat the Cards in a five game series. Congrats to the Cards who played a great series and what a game by CC.