Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Historic Collapse - My Fantasy Team

Not sure where else to vent this so I apologize for being so off topic. I am going to keep it short, as the details would be excruciating!

My awesome fantasy baseball team collapsed in the second half of the season, and I am heartbroken! At the all-star break I was leading in HR, RBI, and Runs by a huge margin. My RBI lead was around 50. My projections showed me winning the league by between 6 and 9 points. I even used a projection model that showed the results if my offensive production decreased by 25%. All things looked good. Even the other teams in the league unofficially conceded early and the race was on for second place, as it was a given I would finish first.

I cannot pinpoint the day or moment, because baseball is so gradual, but I started noticing declines in my weekly production. I went from 12 homer weeks to 4 homer weeks. I actually went a seven game stretch without a HR. I went from 10 points, to nine points, to 8 points, to 7 points. I was locked in a dogfight for 7 points with a team that had given up so early that they still had Hanley Ramirez in their starting lineup. I was battling an unset lineup and I was still losing. My 50 RBI lead slipped away as well. And my average plummeted. The only offensive category I maintained was SB. Big whoop.

However, because of the huge lead I had built up early, I was still in contention, kind of, going into last night's final game. I needed to overcome a 2 run deficit to get an additional point in runs, and hit ONE HR to break the tie with the Hanley Ramirez's and get another half point. Here was last nights line for my team:

7/38 3 0 1 2 .184

SO I'm bummed. If I can tie this into card related activities, I was planning on spending the $350 prize money on cards. I am a single Dad with a mortgage and school tuition to pay, and I really don't have a lot of disposable income at all, much less money to spend on cards. The $100 bucks I spend on the group rips are pretty much it for me, so you can imagine this "windfall" would have been pretty awesome. I was going to try and pick up a 1977 mint 9 Nolan Ryan and some more unopened material and try to complete some of the later sets that are missing just a few cards. Maybe that's what I get for counting my chickens before they hatch! LOL. Oh well! Maybe next season!

Thanks for letting me vent!

P.S. I do have to say it was a fun season and I love playing fantasy baseball because it keeps me so involved in the game. In the seasons I don't play I only follow the Phillies, and to a lesser extent the Rangers, so it's nice to keep an eye on the entire MLB and I am happy that I played. image

Positive transactions: Bighurt2000 - DavidPuddy - ShootyBabitt - Bosox1976 - LarryP - Captainthreeputt - Tedw9 - aconte -EAsports -Johnsteph10 -hhmag70 - depcs - TheThrill22 - scotgreb - longtimemetsfan - cadets68 - augustaman - mcholke - miconelegacy